What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

One Day World Cup 2023

Bowling looking not bad with less than 10 overs left.
Just got Root on 77 with part time bowler Phillips. England 235-7 in 42 overs.

Wicket maiden by Bolt in 38th over.

Why is India not opening the show?

Blair

Coach
The thread belongs down here in the main section of the forum, it's one of the holy grails of NZ sport!

Four years since the trauma of Lords!

No one turned up to watch when England batted, maybe because of the heat? Did anyone turn up to watch us bat?

We won the toss and bowled, which was possibly because Southee and Fergie were out injured.

Blair

Coach
Admin, can you delete the World Cup thread I started in Crowded House? It's just clutter now.

Blair

Coach
We needed to break that Root and Buttler partnership, as they could've battted us out of the game. On a day of batting prowess our bowling and fielding kept us in the game.

JJ

Immortal
If they can work out the best XI, we’re a chance again I think.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
That SA vs SL game was ridiculous, highest total combined runs scored in any ODI (754), highest innings total in a WC (428/5)
Second most sixes in an ODI (31, equalling Nz vs WI in 2015 when Martin Guptill went completely mental on the WI bowlers)

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Nice to see Aussie get tipped over

During the 2000s, you didn’t like them because they were tipping you over, but you respected them as a group. This current lot, you don’t like them because they are so unlikable

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
If they can work out the best XI, we’re a chance again I think.

Hope I’m wrong, I don’t think we can challenge this time, don’t see the consistency in performance from the batting unit as a whole, being able to chase down the big runs our bowling group are likely to concede. I think we need Sodhi playing and bowling 10 quality overs to back up Santner, but Stead runs a conservative ship that goes overboard on picking an inferior bowler because he might make a few runs at the end. It worked the other night with Ravindra coming up huge with the bat, but his work with the ball is terrible and if we are wanting 25-30 overs out of Neesham/Ravindra/Phillips we are going to be under some big run rate pressure with the bat

JJ

Immortal
Hope I’m wrong, I don’t think we can challenge this time, don’t see the consistency in performance from the batting unit as a whole, being able to chase down the big runs our bowling group are likely to concede. I think we need Sodhi playing and bowling 10 quality overs to back up Santner, but Stead runs a conservative ship that goes overboard on picking an inferior bowler because he might make a few runs at the end. It worked the other night with Ravindra coming up huge with the bat, but his work with the ball is terrible and if we are wanting 25-30 overs out of Neesham/Ravindra/Phillips we are going to be under some big run rate pressure with the bat
we're the little engine that could :) - I think with Conway, Williamson (fingers crossed), Mitchell and Latham we have the quality, Ravindra and Young can do a job, and Chapman, Neesham and Phillips are explosive - India aside, I think most teams have a similar issue with the bowlers - with Henry, Boult, Ferguson and Santer we're just looking for 10 overs imo... Australia have a similar issue, RSA are flakey, Pakistan are Pakistan, and England dunno - seems like everyone has very good pace attacks, only India has the spin talent and depth - they are a cut above, but they can be beaten

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
we're the little engine that could :) - I think with Conway, Williamson (fingers crossed), Mitchell and Latham we have the quality, Ravindra and Young can do a job, and Chapman, Neesham and Phillips are explosive - India aside, I think most teams have a similar issue with the bowlers - with Henry, Boult, Ferguson and Santer we're just looking for 10 overs imo... Australia have a similar issue, RSA are flakey, Pakistan are Pakistan, and England dunno - seems like everyone has very good pace attacks, only India has the spin talent and depth - they are a cut above, but they can be beaten

Fergusons form has been a bit of a concern, high average and RPO the last couple of years, hopefully he can find something when he gets some fitness up. Nice little section of draw now for guys to find their feet

JJ

Immortal
Fergusons form has been a bit of a concern, high average and RPO the last couple of years, hopefully he can find something when he gets some fitness up. Nice little section of draw now for guys to find their feet
True, surprised they didn’t pick Milne, I guess we have 30 overs of real class, then some combination of Ferguson, Southee, Sodhi and the all rounders.

India big favourites imo, but rest have their strengths

Blair

Coach
And we're back on deck tonight. This feels right. One criticism of the current RWC is the gap between games. I know rugger is physical, they need that recovery time, but it was a bloody bugger in building momentum and interest for supporters.

It basically dragged on.

6 off last ball and then a free hit.
And a 6 off that from Santner.

322-7 off the 50.

Never felt completely dominant, weird innings.
Slow bloody over rate.

Last edited:

JJ

Immortal
solid win...

be interesting to see what people think of how this world cup is structure, lot of games and crowds already underwhelming