What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

One for the Red V purists

BringTheNoise

Juniors
Are NRL clubs ruining the sanctity of jerseys with their variations?
Nick Walshaw, The Daily Telegraph
June 16, 2017 12:01pm
Subscriber only
HUGH Jackman, love him.

Wolverine, Van Helsing, Boy from Oz ... hell, Margaret, I’m even giving five stars for his work as that washed-up boxer battling robots in Real Steel.

Actually, let’s give Jacko an NRL jersey, too.

Why not?

Everyone else has one.

Besides — with rugby league’s wardrobe already bulging as if owned by Imelda Marcos — it isn’t like anyone will notice.

Indeed, how else do we explain the situation which, last week at Brookvale, saw Manly unveil a limited edition strip with #ThankHugh printed on it.

Club staffers explaining how this was their way with Jackman being their No. 1 supporter — and the joint, apparently, in short supply of Oscars — to celebrate both a new movie, Logan, and “those 17 years playing Wolverine”.

To which we have one response: Huh?

Once, rugby league jerseys were holy garments.

Sacrosanct.

Untouchable save for the most iconic of names. But now?

Well, according to official figures, NRL clubs will roll out, on average, seven jerseys each in 2017.

Yep, seven.

An eclectic collection of colour celebrating everything from Jackman, Balmain Tigers and Iron Patriot, through to a Superman movie released four years ago and Rocket Racoon, whoever the #$@& he is.

While required to only produce four jerseys a year — home, away, Indigenous and Nines — some clubs will roll out twice that number in 2017 to recognise Anzac Day, Heritage Round, Women In League, even the most anonymous members of Marvel Universe.

And, sure, some jerseys are crackers.

Take the Ricky Stuart Foundation strip. Worn by Canberra a couple of weeks ago, the charity jumper has already raised upwards of $50,000 while providing untold awareness.

St George Illawarra’s Anzac jersey, too, outstanding.

Still, how much more genuine would said Anzac jerseys be if all proceeds went to, say, Legacy? As for those Heritage strips, does Melbourne really need one?

And for Manly to now wear #ThankHugh out on to Lottoland ... maybe we’ve gone too far?

Call it a belief growing since March, when Wests Tigers wore jerseys dedicated to Rocket Raccoon — a superhero whose most dangerous attribute, we’re guessing, is his propensity for eating roadkill.

First year, Marvel Round was outstanding. But now four years on? C’mon. We’ve churned through every superhero bar Hong Kong Phooey.

Which isn’t to bag folk for making a buck.

Indeed, in 2013, Souths created a Superman jersey to coincide with the film starring their Hollywood owner, Russell Crowe. A strip which, four years on, still gets tweaked every winter because, well, Bunnies fans keep buying it.

And good luck to them.

Still, rugby league should remember how rarely the world’s biggest sporting clubs break from their traditional strip.

Can you imagine, for example, Dallas Cowboys embracing a raccoon? Or Real Madrid?

Thankfully, the Rabbitohs can at least never change their home-and-away jerseys year on year, given their protection under members’ rights in the club constitution.

As a result, both strips remain the traditional red and green hoops — with a black rabbit for home games and white when away.

A decision for which we have only one word: #ThankHugh.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...s/news-story/372f90ed557bbd9465bdcd9227895004

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I've been saying this for a while now.. too many jerseys ruins the whole point of having a uniform in the first place..

Players come and go.

Coaches come and go.

Club management comes and goes.

Even fans come and go.

The thing that links past to present for all is the jersey.

Case in point:

image-3.jpg

duck

Juniors
Pfft. Liverpool have about 20 different strips.

I fail to see what the big deal is. It's 2017

Dragonsteve2

Juniors
Legendary Australian cricket commentator Alan MacGilvray put down his Scotch long enough to write a book called, "The Game is Not the Same" after the Packer impact on traditional cricket. A similarly titled book could easily be the subject for a book on Australian Rugby League.

In the 50 odd years of Rugby League that I can recall, there have been many positive improvements to the game. To name just a few - the 6 tackle rule, the gradual removal of thuggery from the game, the concern for player welfare whether in terms of education or the new concussion protocols, the much better playing surfaces and the much better training conditions. Forum posters will be able to add much to this list.

But since my childhood much of value has been lost. I now look back on turning up to Kogarah or the SCG to watch my club's three grades on the one afternoon as a special treat in my formative years. The intense rivalry of competing districts has gone - admittedly the rivalry between many franchises can be pretty bitter (Dragons vs Sharks?). Amongst other retrograde steps I regard the transition from a sport that served players and their fans to entertainment that serves the interests of TV the most disappointing. We hear so often that "it is a business" now. But has anyone questioned who has benefited from this transition? There is no doubt that the players are far better paid and many more staff are employed but have we the fans benefited? Do we want to follow a business or support a club in a sports competition? I would opt for the latter every time.

Of course the surfeit of jerseys is all about marketing "the business" and "the brand". But I do not know how fans can afford to keep buying all the updated gear that comprises the merchandise. I was given a Penfolds sponsored jersey in 1987 by a school class of mine. Proudly wore it till 2015 when I inadvertently left it at Shark Park of all places. How sad I was when I realised that having used it to insulate my rear from a bitterly cold plastic seat I had forgotten to pick it up in my haste to get away from the scene of a poor Dragons' loss. I had always planned for it to drape my coffin when my life ends just as a friend of mine had done. Another friend was a gun player from the bush who earned his jersey after being selected for a trial at Kogarah back in the 70s. Sadly he was overawed by the sight of Changa watching on so quickly returned to the bush. That same once-worn jersey however adorns a spare chair in his lounge room every time he watches the Dragons on TV. That is the sort of awe that the fabled big Red V inspired.

Gareth67

First Grade
Yes , could not agree more with the comments of the previous posts .

Call me old-fashioned as that is exactly what I am , however we all move on with the times . I can understand the Iron-Man Jersey and the Aboriginal week Jersey also , however to me , as an individual , the St.George Illawarra Jersey is a one off item , which should never be changed . For that matter , as already mentioned by others , all clubs should hold their own original jersey sacred .

The Saints jersey from the 50's and 60's , with that huge Red V running all the way down the middle of the jumper was the best of the lot , at least to me as an individual .
Of course depending upon when you were born , your choice would undoubtedly be different . But the main thing is that one Jersey should be worn throughout the entire season , with the exceptions being those that I have already mentioned .

Last edited:

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Great post Dragonsteve2 ...yes have read Alan MacGilvrays book good read......still have my Penfolds jersey which takes pride of place in my study....sorry to hear you lost yours, but really mate what were you thinking by placing your rear end on the Mighty Red V thats sacrilege for starters....could understand if it was a Melbourne Storm or Brisbane Donkeys jersey...they deserve to have someones arse on them

1st & 10

Juniors
I mentioned this jersey crap in the cave a few weeks back and was accused of baiting tigers fans

Have some teams worn the same jersey more than once ?

1st & 10

Juniors
Legendary Australian cricket commentator Alan MacGilvray put down his Scotch long enough to write a book called, "The Game is Not the Same" after the Packer impact on traditional cricket. A similarly titled book could easily be the subject for a book on Australian Rugby League.

In the 50 odd years of Rugby League that I can recall, there have been many positive improvements to the game. To name just a few - the 6 tackle rule, the gradual removal of thuggery from the game, the concern for player welfare whether in terms of education or the new concussion protocols, the much better playing surfaces and the much better training conditions. Forum posters will be able to add much to this list.

But since my childhood much of value has been lost. I now look back on turning up to Kogarah or the SCG to watch my club's three grades on the one afternoon as a special treat in my formative years. The intense rivalry of competing districts has gone - admittedly the rivalry between many franchises can be pretty bitter (Dragons vs Sharks?). Amongst other retrograde steps I regard the transition from a sport that served players and their fans to entertainment that serves the interests of TV the most disappointing. We hear so often that "it is a business" now. But has anyone questioned who has benefited from this transition? There is no doubt that the players are far better paid and many more staff are employed but have we the fans benefited? Do we want to follow a business or support a club in a sports competition? I would opt for the latter every time.

Of course the surfeit of jerseys is all about marketing "the business" and "the brand". But I do not know how fans can afford to keep buying all the updated gear that comprises the merchandise. I was given a Penfolds sponsored jersey in 1987 by a school class of mine. Proudly wore it till 2015 when I inadvertently left it at Shark Park of all places. How sad I was when I realised that having used it to insulate my rear from a bitterly cold plastic seat I had forgotten to pick it up in my haste to get away from the scene of a poor Dragons' loss. I had always planned for it to drape my coffin when my life ends just as a friend of mine had done. Another friend was a gun player from the bush who earned his jersey after being selected for a trial at Kogarah back in the 70s. Sadly he was overawed by the sight of Changa watching on so quickly returned to the bush. That same once-worn jersey however adorns a spare chair in his lounge room every time he watches the Dragons on TV. That is the sort of awe that the fabled big Red V inspired.

I still have my Old Penfolds red V and my 1992 Blood and Bandage jerseys. Still have the sweat stains, the old heavy plastic numbering and sponsors etc by Westmont

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Beside the name and moniker, colours play an integral part of a club's DNA.

Personally I am fed up with amount of black, grey and even blue that's infiltrated the Dragons' merchandise for well over a decade now.

Red and white have been Saints' colours since 1921, and this should be emphasised, not considered as an afterthought.

I often get varying degrees of bemusement, but I firmly believe the club has acquiescenced in the face of the Sydbey Swans' increased profile since Super League in 1997.

As these foreign invaders aren't really from Sydney in the first place, and effectively turned up 60 plus years-later, it should be reminded by who was here first with an aggressive marketing campaign.

I won't be holding my breath though.

Last edited:

Dragonsteve2

Juniors
Great post Dragonsteve2 ...yes have read Alan MacGilvrays book good read......still have my Penfolds jersey which takes pride of place in my study....sorry to hear you lost yours, but really mate what were you thinking by placing your rear end on the Mighty Red V thats sacrilege for starters....could understand if it was a Melbourne Storm or Brisbane Donkeys jersey...they deserve to have someones arse on them

BSE, I do profusely apologise for what you see as disrespect for my Penfolds era jersey. I can only add that it was one of the coldest days I have experienced at the footy. I was behind the goalposts at the northern end at Shark Park facing into the teeth of a very cold southerly. The plastic seats were like they were encrusted in ice. The truth is I had so many layers on that I could not fit my jersey over the top so I decided it would be ideal to protect me from getting frostbite on a sensitive area of my anatomy.

Dragonsteve2

Juniors
Yes , could not agree more with the comments of the previous posts .

Call me old-fashioned as that is exactly what I am , however we all move on with the times . I can understand the Iron-Man Jersey and the Aboriginal week Jersey also , however to me , as an individual , the St.George Illawarra Jersey is a one off item , which should never be changed . For that matter , as already mentioned by others , all clubs should hold their own original jersey sacred .

The Saints jersey from the 50's and 60's , with that huge Red V running all the way down the middle of the jumper was the best of the lot , at least to me as an individual .
Of course depending upon when you were born , your choice would undoubtedly be different . But the main thing is that one Jersey should be worn throughout the entire season , with the exceptions being those that I have already mentioned .

Gareth, I remember the magical moment that occurred regularly at the SCG in the 1960s when the Dragons emerged from their dressing room and this wonderful line of Red Vs gradually expanded from the glass doors of the Members Stand down to the gate onto the ground. There was really something sacred about that traditional design. Irreplaceable memories!

BringTheNoise

Juniors
I enjoy some of the alternative strips but I think the argument about traditional jerseys is similar to the RGRV debate.

One thing I've picked up about some of the older, rusted on fans on this forum is that their most prized childhood memories are of going to Kogarah with parents or grandparents and standing on the hill watching the club legends run around in the Red V. That is why they struggle with the idea of the club wearing an alternative strip and hosting a game at ANZ stadium, it's like the identity is being ripped from the club they love.

We're in an era where fans seem to be so transient and the rusted on fans are an aging generation and the NRL is clutching at straws to come up with solutions but for me it is simple: go back to what works. Bring the games back to suburban grounds, limit the alternative jerseys, lower ticket prices and make the games more accessible to families so more generations can have treasured memories of watching their favourite players running around in iconic jerseys at home grounds.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
BSE, I do profusely apologise for what you see as disrespect for my Penfolds era jersey. I can only add that it was one of the coldest days I have experienced at the footy. I was behind the goalposts at the northern end at Shark Park facing into the teeth of a very cold southerly. The plastic seats were like they were encrusted in ice. The truth is I had so many layers on that I could not fit my jersey over the top so I decided it would be ideal to protect me from getting frostbite on a sensitive area of my anatomy.
Ha ha all good mate ...know what you mean ...when I lived at Cronulla my wife and I spent a few bitterley cold afternoons sitting in the early grandstands at Endeavour field watching our blokes go round.

Latest posts