What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

One for the Red V purists

Gareth67

First Grade
Gareth, I remember the magical moment that occurred regularly at the SCG in the 1960s when the Dragons emerged from their dressing room and this wonderful line of Red Vs gradually expanded from the glass doors of the Members Stand down to the gate onto the ground. There was really something sacred about that traditional design. Irreplaceable memories!

Dragonsteve2 - there certainly was and the way that you have described it was very uncanny , as I myself felt as if I was watching a team of players so tall and so full of pride to be wearing that big Red V Jersey .

They were like an unstoppable machine and provided so much joy to those vast crowds that would watch them play week after week .
The teams that did beat us in those years , certainly earned their wins the hard way and perhaps the supporters of other clubs must had been envious of that wonderful Jersey of ours .

Still the year is 2017 and those great days have now passed , unfortunately our beloved Dragons are no longer the force that they once were , however in saying that I do believe that the club will yet again hold that Preimership trophy aloft in the not too distant future .

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Remember the old swamp smell when going to Endeavour/ Caltex/ shark Etc etc
Yep it used to be rubbish dump...many many moons ago....used to ride past it on my way to the sand hills at Kurnel on my pushy with my sand ski on the back ...thats when the sand hills were sand hills ...I know what some will say its still a rubbish tip ha ha

redVbull

Juniors
A good thread question and one that has bothered me for some time now.

These superficial jersey changes are a major factor devaluing fan loyalty and brand identity for the NRL teams.

The team's jumper is the iconic representation of a Club, and its brand. Wearing a supporters guernsy or colours based on a Clubs long and rich traditional style, is what builds strong supporter loyalty and real sense of belonging to a club.

Clubs need to respect this. The value of a supporter jersey is upheld whilsterver the Club respects team keep the matching gear, and the traditional Red-V never dates.

A visual, personal connection with the team is lost when they are playing in some wierd Transformer style jumper as opposed to traditional Red-V (especially given the high cost of genuine jerseys for junior fans particularly).

All attempts by NRL for some glam marketing initiative that require a change to game-day jerseys from traditional styles like Red-V must be resisted.

You only have to look at teams like Warriors, Panthers, Cowboys etc with their plethora of jersey designs over the years to know no-one knows what they are going to be from one-year to the next. Not like the iconic Red-V or Rabbits Red-Green stripes which are truly iconic and should be shown respect.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I look at historical photos, tune into matches from decades ago being screened on TV, and you can always tell at first glance who is playing.

Why?

The jerseys.

I can watch a dragons match from before I was born, not know the players but still feel passion when they score.

What's going to happen for future generations when they start looking back at games?

The NRL's catch phrase this year is "let's make history"

Pretty hard to make history when future generations won't even recognise the teams..

Dragonsteve2

Juniors
Gareth 67 writes that:
"Still the year is 2017 and those great days have now passed , unfortunately our beloved Dragons are no longer the force that they once were , however in saying that I do believe that the club will yet again hold that Premiership trophy aloft in the not too distant future"

Gareth, I have long recognised that those glory days are a world away now. Actually as far as I can remember I only started to attend some games in 1966. So my devotion began at the tail end of the great run. I was at the SCG for the Final in 1967 when Kevin Ryan's Cant-Bankstown ended the era. As a young kid I was pretty confused when Changa jogged off half way through the first half that day but then was broken-hearted with the full-time result.

I recognise too that so much has to fall into place to win a premiership so my current concerns are not about our lack of recent premierships but the regular failure to put ourselves in a position to make a season-long challenge for a possible premiership success. Playing well against the best teams to lose with some pride intact but then to be beaten by teams lower than us on the table has just been the habit for far too long. In the joint venture era, it has only been Bennett who has been able to get the most out of the players at the club's disposal.

Last week I agreed with the decision to reappoint Mary but only on the basis that the club's policy was not to seek expressions of interest in the position. A week later I am now really regretting that the club did not call for nominations.

grouch

First Grade
Pfft. Liverpool have about 20 different strips.

I fail to see what the big deal is. It's 2017
It doesn't matter what jersey or colours we wear. It doesn't matter who plays for us. It doesn't even matter where we call "home".

All that matters is that the CEO is Peter Doust and the board are his mates. That's duck's club

grouch

First Grade
I've been saying this for a while now.. too many jerseys ruins the whole point of having a uniform in the first place..

Players come and go.

Coaches come and go.

Club management comes and goes.

Even fans come and go.

The thing that links past to present for all is the jersey.

Case in point:

image-3.jpg
I completely agree with the article and with this post by muzby. I think something very important gets lost when you start selling off your identity. Makes it hard to work out what the club even is.

duck

Juniors
It doesn't matter what jersey or colours we wear. It doesn't matter who plays for us. It doesn't even matter where we call "home".

All that matters is that the CEO is Peter Doust and the board are his mates. That's duck's club
Gee. You've worked me out.
Are you a wizard?

Old Timer

Coach
Yep it used to be rubbish dump...many many moons ago....used to ride past it on my way to the sand hills at Kurnel on my pushy with my sand ski on the back ...thats when the sand hills were sand hills ...I know what some will say its still a rubbish tip ha ha
Dad and mum used to drive us out to the sand hills in the old FB ute.
My 2 brothers and the 2 dogs in the back with our sand ski's all waxed ready to go and of course we had the diamond shaped kites made from thin dowel sticks with string around the grooves cut in the end, covered with brown paper all glued with flour and water with mums oldest sheet torn into bits to make the tail.
We used to draw on the brown paper so you could see your kite and mine had a Big Red V.
The sand hills were so high back then you could see them from any decent high spot in the district and we could always fly our kites because we were well above the top of the power lines.

1st & 10

Juniors
I absolutely detest every variant of our jersey besides the red v and the blood and bandages.

Totally agree. Red V for me. I can also relate to the blood and bandage jersey. First used v England in 1963 and 1992 Westmont made one for the charity shield with the black penfolds sponsoring

I actually own one of the 63 jerseys signed by the team that played England . Purchased from the club in the early 80s.

The amount of great memorabilia I have seen in the disused auditorium was draw dropping and bankrupting for me. I remember whispers of a saints museum in the making.....

1st & 10

Juniors
Dad and mum used to drive us out to the sand hills in the old FB ute.
My 2 brothers and the 2 dogs in the back with our sand ski's all waxed ready to go and of course we had the diamond shaped kites made from thin dowel sticks with string around the grooves cut in the end, covered with brown paper all glued with flour and water with mums oldest sheet torn into bits to make the tail.
We used to draw on the brown paper so you could see your kite and mine had a Big Red V.
The sand hills were so high back then you could see them from any decent high spot in the district and we could always fly our kites because we were well above the top of the power lines.

Love your recollections, old timer.

1st & 10

Juniors
When it comes to the dragons, a lot of us are stuck in the past and I have no problem with that, given the past we have.

Being born in the seventies, too young for 77 and 79, but 2010 was a relief after losing so many

85 (we were the best club by a mile that year. Minor premiers all three grades. No fresh reserves on the 1st grade bench big boo boo for a GF)

92 (glad to just be there),

93 (choke, should have won. Best team that year)

96 ( lucky to be there, but robbed),

99 (no comment)

1st & 10

Juniors
Thanks kind of you to say so.
Life was very different then and the good part was there were 5 things I could always count on.
Mum, Dad, my 2 older brothers and of course the mighty Dragons.
Shame that it all went so quickly and I just hope the memories last a lifetime.

Refer to my above post. When it comes to saints , nothing wrong with living in the past.

I loved the days when the reserve grade fullback wore number 14 and the u23's fullback wore jersey number 27

Bench
There was nothing better to be at Kogarah, hot dogs which had been boiling for a week and rugby league week.
Always got there to watch the three graces on the hill, that experience over many years is gone now. But the memories are still there.
It was also good when you got a flask of Jim Beam tapped to the bell bottom jeans. Just to take the edge off the cold....

possm

Coach
There was nothing better to be at Kogarah, hot dogs which had been boiling for a week and rugby league week.
Always got there to watch the three graces on the hill, that experience over many years is gone now. But the memories are still there.
It was also good when you got a flask of Jim Beam tapped to the bell bottom jeans. Just to take the edge off the cold....
Now your bringing back some memories. I had completely forgotten about the flask, mine is still sitting under the bar at home. Haven't used it in ages.