What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

One step at a time: the rest of the season unfolds here

Eelectrica

Referee
Just watching the Knights tonight, this Saturday nights game has the potential to be a classic.
Knights have to overcome the Monday night curse, but with Buderus, Simpson, gidley and Mullen all in good form they'll be ready.

Bailey, Prince, Rogers hopefully Presto will need to be on their game to counter the Knights and if they are we're going to be in for a real treat.

Titanic

First Grade
Deegan - is Chris Walker on the radar yet? And having been stuck overseas for several years, why is everybody so down on Sideshow Bob? He seems to be doing the job as far as I can see.

Jake86

Juniors
Titanic said:
Deegan - is Chris Walker on the radar yet? And having been stuck overseas for several years, why is everybody so down on Sideshow Bob? He seems to be doing the job as far as I can see.

Walker's 8 weeks suspension/rehab finishes on the 25th, so the earliest he will return is the game against the warriors, 2 wks time. Like you said: Peterson is in good form on the wing, and cartwright has said walker will not be slotted straight back in. Might be a battle betwen he and webster for a wing spot

DeeGan

Bench
Yes, the New Zealand Warriors game is when I am told he is eligble for selection.

Matt Petersen is a good club man having a good season on the wing. At times he can look nervous when the ball is kicked his way, at times he will make a fumble, though he is a player who can finish off a try as any good winger should be doing. Matt's enthusiasm I know for a fact is appreciated by the senior players and the coaching staff are big fans of him as well.

I don't think Chris Walker's comeback will mean 'the end' for Petersen, Kiwi international Jake Webster is the player that would be under pressure. As I said in the mid-season review, he has been my biggest disappointment and doesn't seem to be playing with the same confidence he had at Melbourne (2006 was up and down for him - has that rocked his confidence?)

DeeGan

Bench
r15-game5.jpg

GAME > Gold Coast v Newcastle
WHEN > Saturday 23 June, 7:30pm
WHERE > GOLD COAST STADIUM, CARRARA QLD
MEDIA > LIVE FOX, LeagueUnlimited LIVE UPDATE
REF > Ben Cummins; Colour: Yellow; Sideline Officials: Russell Turner, Adam Devcich; Video Referee: Steve Nash
TIX > Ticketek.

Titans
Preston Campbell, Matt Petersen, Mat Rogers, Brett Delaney, Jake Webster, Josh Lewis, Scott Prince (c), Luke Bailey, Nathan Friend, Ian Donnelly, Anthony Laffranchi, Mark Minichiello, Luke Swain.
Int - Matthew Hilder, James Stosic, Gavin Cooper, Clint Amos, Kris Kahler, Luke O'Dwyer (two to be omitted).
Knights
Kurt Gidley, James McManus, George Carmont, Brad Tighe, Adam MacDougall, Jarrod Mullen, Luke Walsh, Kade Snowden, Danny Buderus (C), Adam Woolnough, Steve Simpson, Cory Paterson, Reegan Tanner
Int - Michael Young, Chris Bailey, Daniel Tolar, Mitchell Sargent, Jesse Royal, Luke MacDougall

CURTAIN RAISER > Gold Coast U 18's V Northern Rivers U 18's, 5:40pm
QLD CUP > No game for Tweed Heads or Ipswich due to XXXX City v Country.
PREMIER LEAGUE > Raiders v Knights @ Canberra
JERSEY FLEGG > CC Storm v Knights @ Mingara

Preston Campbell makes a timely return to the Gold Coast line-up, a line-up that looks plenty strong too just quietly. Nice to Luke O'Dwyer's name back in the 19 man squad, I think he will be back in the 17 in the next week or two.

We should start favourites here and this is a must win game. As I keep repeating, our home games are a must. If we lose here, this brings undone the great win last week against all odds.

GET TO THE GAME TITANS FANS! :D

DeeGan

Bench
r15-game5.jpg

Gold Coast Titans (28)
Tries: Matt Petersen (3), Brett Delaney, Mat Rogers
Goals: Mat Rogers (4/5)

Newcastle Knights (22)
Tries: Luke Walsh, Daniel Tolar, Adam MacDougall, James McManus
Goals: Kurt Gidley (3/4)

More on the game from me later. I am hosting a BBQ tonight with family and friends who are all Gold Coast Titans supporters :D

Four wins in a row is an awesome effort and to be on 18pts, well, it's sensational.

Fingers crossed Anthony Laffranchi's injury is better than expected and let's hope Preston's knee has held up ok tonight.

Kingytek

Juniors
DeeGan said:
More on the game from me later. I am hosting a BBQ tonight with family and friends who are all Gold Coast Titans supporters :D

Four wins in a row is an awesome effort and to be on 18pts, well, it's sensational.

Fingers crossed Anthony Laffranchi's injury is better than expected and let's hope Preston's knee has held up ok tonight.

Hey mate...
Yeah, was a good win by the boys! They are really starting to show that they are a team!
Will be hoping that the injury isnt as bad as first suspected! :pray:

Titanic

First Grade
Just got back from taking a delegation from India around the Province and am giving myself a headache trying to work out the finals possibilities. What I would give for 3 more wins.

DeeGan

Bench
Well that was another good win last night. I just love having a team back in the NRL and a successful one to boot, well that is just icing on the cake :D

What about the game?

Starting this week I am going to go through our squad.

1. Preston Campbell - looked a little hesistant early with that knee, most evident when he made that break. If he was 100%, he scoots off to score or sets up a try. He looked slowed by the knee and was easily caught. Made 101m in a nice return.

2. Matt Petersen - scored the first Titans hat-trick! As I keep saying, there may be better overall wingers though Sideshow can finish a try with the best of them. Another enthusiastic performance.

3. Mat Rogers - another very good performance! What a tackle! Mat doesn't want to play fullback though in the limited time he has went back there he has always come up trumps with ball in hand or in defence. If Preston was fullback at the dying minute, would he have stopped the second rower? I don't think so.

4. Brett Delaney - strong in defence, good in attack. Scored a try. This is a young centre who will be a back rower before long.

5. Jake Webster - playing hurt, I liked that. Still looks out of sorts.

6. Josh Lewis - I copped a little bit from fans about my wrap on this guy though he proved AGAIN he is one of THE astute pick ups of 2007. His game will continue to develop, he is one of the best young five-eights in the game.

7. Scott Prince - closing the gap on Johnathan Thurston every week. Another dominant display.

8. Luke Bailey - my man of the match. 25 tackles, 25 hitups for 245m. He led from the front knowing how important this win was for the team.

9. Nathan Friend - good game. Nothing outstanding. A good chance to become a bonofide 80 min number nine, the chance he has been chasing for many years.

10. Ian Donnelly - a good second hit out. Big unit, works nicely in tandem with Bailey.

11. Anthony Laffranchi - went off early with knee injury, good up until that point as usual.

12. Mark Minichiello - a contender for most improved player in the NRL. I love this guys passion for the team and the way he plays.

13. Luke Swain - unassuming, strong and does the little stuff that doesn't attract headlines.

14. Matt Hilder - looks much better from the bench and without the onus of being a pivot.

16. Gavin Cooper - a handful on the fringes, started to warm to the task and live up to the pre-season hype.

18. Kris Kahler - I just don't know about Kris. Stops at the line, easy pickings. Canberra fans were right here despite some promise early.

19. Luke O'Dwyer - ok return, copped a head knock. When he is 100%, we look a much better team with him there.

John Cartwright in my opinion no matter what happens from here is the 2007 NRL Coach of the Year. His performance is nothing short of brilliant. We are the fancy Melbourne type of team, though we just grind it out in attack and defence suffocating opponents. A very simple but effective game plan that he has devised.

BRING ON NEW ZEALAND!

Steve Price vs Luke Bailey is worth admission alone.

DeeGan

Bench
TITAN1 said:
Shame both will be missing on Saturday night.

Yes, I acknowledged that in another thread - it is a shame.

Can someone please update team lists for the weekend (as per the trend of previous team lists). I am away from home this week and have limited access to PC.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

DeeGan

Bench
r16-game2.jpg

GAME > Gold Coast v Warriors
WHEN > Saturday 30 June, 5:30pm
WHERE > GOLD COAST STADIUM, CARRARA QLD
MEDIA > LIVE 2GB, LIVE ABC, LIVE FOX, LeagueUnlimited LIVE UPDATE
REF > Shayne Hayne
TIX > www.ticketek.com.au

Titans
1. Preston Campbell, 2. Matthew Petersen, 3. Mat Rogers, 4. Brett Delaney, 5. Jake Webster, 6. Josh Lewis, 7. Scott Prince ©, 8. James Stosic, 9. Nathan Friend, 10. Ian Donnelly, 11. Luke Swain, 12. Mark Minichiello, 13. Mat Hilder
Int - 14. Luke O Dwyer, 15. Michael Hodgson, 16. Gavin Cooper, 17. Clint Amos, 18. Kris Kahler
Warriors
1 Wade McKinnon, 2 Patrick Ah Van, 3 Todd Byrne, 4 Simon Mannering, 5 Manu Vatuvei, 6 Michael Witt, 7 Grant Rovelli, 8 Ruben Wiki (c), 9 Nathan Fien, 10 Evarn Tuimavave, 11 Louis Anderson, 12 Logan Swann, 13 Micheal Luck
Int - 14 George Gatis, 15 Lance Hohaia, 16 Wairangi Koopu, 17 Epalahame Lauaki, 18 Sam Rapira

QLD CUP > Ipswich v Tweed Heads, 3:15pm
PREMIER LEAGUE > Lions BYE

I will be there this weekend, see you there!

DeeGan

Bench
Jake Webster out

Smith Samau in

Lelea Paea might be a late inclusion if Samau is not fit.

**fingers crossed he is fit**

DeeGan

Bench
I went to last night's game and before I start on the game, I must say, the atmosphere despite a healthy crowd was lacking at Cararra. I will be writing to the club expressing my view point on this, though it lacked the early season "occasion".

As for the game, disappointing second half. We didn't turn up and the Warriors out played us, out enthused us. It was always going to be a big ask minus Bailey and Laffranchi though at home and with the Warriors travelling, we were deserved favourites and this loss joins the Sydney Roosters and Stg Illawarra Dragons as "one that got away". Will it be pivotal at the end of the season? Time will tell.

TITAN1

Juniors
Being our first year back,last nights result was probably one that the team could learn from..also our lack of forward grunt due to injury/rep games caught up with us last night against a team whos backline could play in the forwards.
On to next week,hopefully the bronco rep players will be jaded and sore from wednesday night!:pray:

Eelectrica

Referee
Broncos have been backing up well straight after Origin this year. With the injury problems the Titans have, and the Broncos looking for payback, this is going to be one tough game to win.

Looking forward to it though.

Titanic

First Grade
For some strange but excellent reason Australia Network has broadcast more than 50% of our games and it's on again this weekend. Can't wait.