What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

One test wonders

African Monkey

First Grade
Clint McKay will be lucky to ever get another baggy green.

He came in as a late injury replacement against the WI in 2009. I thought during that game that he would be lucky to play another test as he seemed to lack any sort of penetration and reminded me of something from the NZ domestic circuit. He's done ok in the shorther forms to his credit though.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Byrce Mcgain :lol:

:lol: I still laugh to this day.

The fact that he was hyped up so much as an old bloke plucked from grade cricket and could spin a ball as good as Shane Warne and got belted all over the park against the Proteas

Just on Matt Nicholson I remember the start of the 1999-2000 season he was looking likely to get another test spot, but I think IIRC he got crook on a Zimbabwean tour and Muller replaced him. So they opted to go with Muller in the first test that summer.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
"They may have only played one test but it is one more than you or I".

I hate when commentators say that.

Timbo

Staff member
McKay in that test against the Windies looked the quintessential limited overs bowler.

If you don't have to attack him he'll never get you out.

unbreaK

Juniors
Wasn't Dan Cullen that awful off-spin bowler that spent more time rolling up his sleeves than working on his game?

Gas Panic!

First Grade
That's him.

Blokes like Young were fortunate to even get a test, so probably stoked to have it.

Other blokes like Rogers could feel a little stiff. As others said, saying he couldn't step up when he only got one chance isn't fair. The bloke has destroyed attacks all over the world, even against Australia.

Timbo

Staff member
Think about if Katich never got a second test.

His first test he got 12 odd an left a ball that bowled him. Had to wait years for another go before becoming one of our best and most consistent top order batsmen.

If he'd never got another crack everyone would point at his first test as evidence he 'couldn't handle the step up'

Hussey is another whose first test was very poor.

Rogers may have been mediocre, or he may have scored a ton - we'll never know.

Red Bear

Referee
Think about if Katich never got a second test.

His first test he got 12 odd an left a ball that bowled him. Had to wait years for another go before becoming one of our best and most consistent top order batsmen.

If he'd never got another crack everyone would point at his first test as evidence he 'couldn't handle the step up'

Hussey is another whose first test was very poor.

Rogers may have been mediocre, or he may have scored a ton - we'll never know.
Rogers was doubly hamstrung by not being liked by the dressing room at all apparently

Latest posts