What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ongoing thread on 2010 NFL Draft prospects

Tom155

Coach
I suspect by draft time next year Philly will have 3 first rounders

We get a first rounder of our own, pretty sure we have one owing us this year from the Jets/Lito Sheppard Trade and i suspect come end of season, Michael Vick will be traded to a team in desperate need of a QB. For a 1st... maybe 2nd

I'd like to see us focus on defense. We're set in skills offence, with Jackson, Maclin, Gibson all young. Celek and hopefully Ingram next year as TE's, McCoy and Westy in the RB committee.

I think we need a stud LB, an O-lineman to replace Andrews and a DE would be good
Nope no 1st rounder for lito
The Jets surrendered two draft picks for Sheppard - a fifth-round choice in the upcoming draft and a conditional pick in 2010 that could go as high as a second-rounder or as low as a fourth, depending largely on playing time.
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...jets_trade_for_eagles_cornerback_lito_sh.html
And you wont get a 1st or a 2nd for vick

Raider_69

Post Whore
Nope no 1st rounder for lito
The Jets surrendered two draft picks for Sheppard - a fifth-round choice in the upcoming draft and a conditional pick in 2010 that could go as high as a second-rounder or as low as a fourth, depending largely on playing time.
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...jets_trade_for_eagles_cornerback_lito_sh.html
And you wont get a 1st or a 2nd for vick

Damn, thought it was potentially a first rounder... will probably end up a low 4th :x
I think if a team wants him desperately enough, which if he gets back to anything like he was before he got nicked, some one will, i think we could get at least a 2nd for Vick

Big Tim

First Grade
Dont'a Hightower left the game in the 1st quarter against Arkansas. He was in civvies on the sidelines. Most likely a serious knee injury. It occured on a low block on a sweep play.

Mal Meninga

Bench
I'm a Vick fan but I don't see any teams trading a first. The NFL is a copycat league and with the success of Ryan, Flacco, Sanchez and even Stafford, more teams will be inclined to draft Bradford, McCoy, Snead etc.

Snead was really unimpressive the other day though.

Tom155

Coach
I'm a Vick fan but I don't see any teams trading a first. The NFL is a copycat league and with the success of Ryan, Flacco, Sanchez and even Stafford, more teams will be inclined to draft Bradford, McCoy, Snead etc.

Snead was really unimpressive the other day though.
Yeah Snead's been terrible so far this season

The alabama qb greg mcelroy looked good the other day
Julio Jones Alabama and AJ Green from Georgia are Great WRs

Last edited:

abpanther

Staff member
I just finished watching the Nebraska come-from-behind victory over Missouri. The entire game was played in a driving rain storm.

I wanted to see two players: Missouri linebacker Sean Witherspoon, and Nebraska defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh.

Witherspoon is a tackling machine with sideline-to-sideline range, and he drops into coverage like a cornerback. When I saw him play last year, he showed some potential as a pass rusher. Unfortunately, he rarely rushes the passer in this year's Missouri defense. For a team with a 4-3 defense, I'd be very interested in Witherspoon as a weakside outside linebacker. I'm not sure, however, that he has a position in the 3-4.

Ndamukong Suh had a monster game. Despite being double-teamed on nearly every play, he finished with six tackles, including a sack and forced fumble. He would have had a second sack, but the refs nailed him with a totally bogus horsecollar-tackle penalty, even though replays showed that he had pulled the quarterback down by the jersey rather than his shoulder pads. Suh also pressured the passer on numerous occasions, and he stifled the inside running game. On one play, he took on the running back at the line of scrimmage and slammed him violently to the turf. On another, he stood up the two blockers trying to move him out of the running lane and forced the running back to reverse his field. Double-team blocking barely slows Suh down; he simply pushes both blockers deep into the backfield or stands them up. On several plays, especially in the fourth quarter, Suh stayed back to clog the passing lanes, or even dropped back into zone coverage. He knocked down one pass, and intercepted another, a play that turned the game around. Suh is quick off the snap, athletic, and very strong. I like him as a left defensive end in 3-4, and as a DT in the nickel and dime formations. He's definitely my guy for the 49ers if he's available with the Carolina pick.

Last edited:

Tom155

Coach
I just finished watching the Nebraska come-from-behind victory over Missouri. The entire game was played in a driving rain storm.

I wanted to see two players: Missouri linebacker Sean Witherspoon, and Nebraska defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh.

Witherspoon is a tackling machine with sideline-to-sideline range, and he drops into coverage like a cornerback. When I saw him play last year, he showed some potential as a pass rusher. Unfortunately, he rarely rushes the passer in this year's Missouri defense. For a team with a 4-3 defense, I'd be very interested in Witherspoon as a weakside outside linebacker. I'm not sure, however, that he has a position in the 3-4.

Ndamukong Suh had a monster game. Despite being double-teamed on nearly every play, he finished with six tackles, including a sack and forced fumble. He would have had a second sack, but the refs nailed him with a totally bogus horsecollar-tackle penalty, even though replays showed that he had pulled the quarterback down by the jersey rather than his shoulder pads. Suh also pressured the passer on numerous occasions, and he stifled the inside running game. On one play, he took on the running back at the line of scrimmage and slammed him violently to the turf. On another, he stood up the two blockers trying to move him out of the running lane and forced the running back to reverse his field. Double-team blocking barely slows Suh down; he simply pushes both blockers deep into the backfield or stands them up. On several plays, especially in the fourth quarter, Suh stayed back to
clog the passing lanes, or even dropped back into zone coverage. He knocked down one pass, and intercepted another, a play that turned the game around. Suh is quick off the snap, athletic, and very strong. I like him as a left defensive end in 3-4, and as a DT in the nickel and dime formations. He's definitely my guy for the 49ers if he's available with the Carolina pick.
Suh is an absolute beast could go top weatherspoon's good too

Last edited:

Tom155

Coach
It seems like avery strong draft Their is some great prospects in this draft especially along the D Line guys like Suh, Hardy, Mccoy, Dunlap

Lesser known guys i like Derrick Morgan DE Georgia Tech, Jared Odrick DT Penn State, Arthur Jones DE Syracuse, Boo Robinson DT Wake Forest, Tyson Alualu DT California, Vince Oghobaase DT Duke. Robinson & Odrick especially extremely underated

Last edited:

abpanther

Staff member
I saw the last few minutes of the third quarter and the entire fourth quarter of the Texas A&M/Oklahoma State game. Offensive tackle Russell Okung was awesome! I saw him last year, and he impressed me as a very good pass blocker, but a mediocre run blocker. Today, however, he was pancaking his opponents on running plays, as well as keeping his man well off the quarterback on passing plays. He also does a great job of getting out in front of screens. He appears to be a complete player now.

abpanther

Staff member
I just finished watching a pretty good Florida team beat a horribly coached LSU team. The final score was 13-3, but it doesn't really indicate how thoroughly Florida dominated the game, especially with their defense.

As far as the announcers were concerned, it was Tim Tebow this and Tim Tebow that, but Tebow really didn't do anything noteworthy, except throw a terrible interception late in the game that gave LSU some reason to think they might get back in it. Tebow really does have horrible passing mechanics. He holds the ball low and winds up on every throw, even the short ones. No way would he be able to get away with that in the NFL. He's a pretty good power runner, however. Maybe he could be a Brandon Jacobs type tailback, or run the Wildcat.

I've read more than once that LSU receiver Brandon LeFell is better than Michael Crabtree. Not a chance. LeFell was invisible in this game, especially when LSU had to pass to get back into the game, and when he DID manage to get a pass thrown his way, he dropped it.

Bottom line, LSU doesn't have a single player that I would draft in any round.

Florida has some good ones, though. If the 49ers didn't have Patrick Willis, I'd want Brandon Spikes. Spikes had a monster game, and was unstoppable late in the game during crunch time. He finished with 11 tackles, including 2.5 sacks and a forced fumble. Plus, he's just a nasty player.

Cornerback Joe Haden looks like an instant NFL starter for whichever team drafts him. He can cover like a blanket, has world-class recovery speed, and hits like a linebacker. He even had a couple big hits on kick coverage. I'd take him in the first round.

Defensive ends Carlos Dunlap and Jermaine Cunningham each had good games. Dunlap, who weighs about 290, looked pretty athletic for a big man and was especially tough against the run. Cunningham, at about 240, was very quick. LSU's overrated left-tackle, Ciron Black, who weighs in at about 325, simply couldn't handle him.

LSU might have had a shot to win this one, but their head coach, Les Miles, is incompetent. Both his defensive and offensive units appeared to be playing in formations that they haven't yet learned. His team simply wasn't ready for this one. Florida kept shooting themselves in the foot with stupid penalties, predictable play-calls, and offensive breakdowns at key points, but LSU looked like a team that had never played together before. It was a remarkably sloppy game for two such highly rated teams.

Tom155

Coach
I just finished watching a pretty good Florida team beat a horribly coached LSU team. The final score was 13-3, but it doesn't really indicate how thoroughly Florida dominated the game, especially with their defense.

As far as the announcers were concerned, it was Tim Tebow this and Tim Tebow that, but Tebow really didn't do anything noteworthy, except throw a terrible interception late in the game that gave LSU some reason to think they might get back in it. Tebow really does have horrible passing mechanics. He holds the ball low and winds up on every throw, even the short ones. No way would he be able to get away with that in the NFL. He's a pretty good power runner, however. Maybe he could be a Brandon Jacobs type tailback, or run the Wildcat.

I've read more than once that LSU receiver Brandon LeFell is better than Michael Crabtree. Not a chance. LeFell was invisible in this game, especially when LSU had to pass to get back into the game, and when he DID manage to get a pass thrown his way, he dropped it.

Bottom line, LSU doesn't have a single player that I would draft in any round.

Florida has some good ones, though. If the 49ers didn't have Patrick Willis, I'd want Brandon Spikes. Spikes had a monster game, and was unstoppable late in the game during crunch time. He finished with 11 tackles, including 2.5 sacks and a forced fumble. Plus, he's just a nasty player.

Cornerback Joe Haden looks like an instant NFL starter for whichever team drafts him. He can cover like a blanket, has world-class recovery speed, and hits like a linebacker. He even had a couple big hits on kick coverage. I'd take him in the first round.

Defensive ends Carlos Dunlap and Jermaine Cunningham each had good games. Dunlap, who weighs about 290, looked pretty athletic for a big man and was especially tough against the run. Cunningham, at about 240, was very quick. LSU's overrated left-tackle, Ciron Black, who weighs in at about 325, simply couldn't handle him.

LSU might have had a shot to win this one, but their head coach, Les Miles, is incompetent. Both his defensive and offensive units appeared to be playing in formations that they haven't yet learned. His team simply wasn't ready for this one. Florida kept shooting themselves in the foot with stupid penalties, predictable play-calls, and offensive breakdowns at key points, but LSU looked like a team that had never played together before. It was a remarkably sloppy game for two such highly rated teams.
I like spikes a lot but from what ive read hes only a 2 down LB not great in coverage Dunlap has the potential to be a great player and i have heard nothing but good things about haden great player

Big Tim

First Grade
You dont think LSU S C. Jones has a shot at being a 2-3rd rounder?? I cant really think of anyone else on that team though...... they are poor for a team that was supposed to be one of the countries best.

I honestly have never seen LaFell do anything of note...... IMO they would be better off having Holliday out there running screens.

Tom155

Coach
LSU's best reciever will be a guy named Ruben Randle also Charles Scott looked good against georgia the other week

abpanther

Staff member
Yeah LaFell is very overrated, haven't seen him do much.

I love Spikes and definitely think he can be an every down player, not like Malauga.

I think Jones can go as high as 2nd round if he picks up his production, no way he breaks into the first round though.

Tom155

Coach
Yeah LaFell is very overrated, haven't seen him do much.

I love Spikes and definitely think he can be an every down player, not like Malauga.

I think Jones can go as high as 2nd round if he picks up his production, no way he breaks into the first round though.
i love spikes too im just saying what i read

abpanther

Staff member
I was able to see most of the Cincinnati/South Florida. I wanted to get another good look at QB Tony Pike and DE George Selvie, but the players I was most impressed by were Cincinnati left tackle Jeff Linkenbach and South Florida defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul

I can see why some people like Pike. He had one excellent drive in which he drove his team something like 95 yards and ended the drive with a nice TD pass. But most of the time he looked gangly and awkward. He has a big arm and does some things well, including looking off the safety on occasion. But he doesn't have a lot of game experience (he didn't become a starter until the third game last season), and I think any team that drafts him better be prepared to wait at least three years for him to develop. Even then I think he's a long shot. Pike left the game one series into the third quarter when he reinjured his left wrist, and the Cincinnati offense actually looked a lot better with his backup in the game. I wouldn't touch Pike until at least the fifth round.

George Selvie is fast, and when he has a lane to the quarterback he covers the ground in a hurry. But he has no moves, and he's not strong. If he can't beat his blocker with his speed, he has nothing to fall back on. Linkenbach handled him one-on-one all night long, and by the fourth quarter, Selvie was playing like he wanted to go home. (Selvie was quoted as admitting that Linkenbach got the better of him a year ago, too.) Stats will show that Selvie had a sack, a forced fumble, and another tackle for a loss, but those numbers are deceiving. He was not a force in this game. He DID beat Linkenbach once early in the game with an inside rush (resulting in the sack and forced fumble), and he was occasionally effective when he stunted and rushed up the middle. But he spent most of the game getting abused and buried by Linkenbach, and I think that he was one of the happiest players on the field when the final whistle blew.

Jeff Linkenbach is rated as an undrafted free agent by NFL Draft Scout, but he looked pretty good to me. He seemed pretty quick off the snap on running plays, and Selvie couldn't use his considerable speed to get around him on passing plays. He doesn't appear to be that strong (his arms look relatively small compared to most linemen), but he could be an intriguing project.

Although I was disappointed in Selvie, I liked the looks of South Florida's other defensive end: Jason Pierre-Paul. He smoked Linkenbach on a speed rush, and appeared (unlike Selvie) to have the necessary desire to rush the passer. He mostly lined up on the left side and put quite a bit of pressure on the QB. He was also very good trailing running plays down the line of scrimmage and catching the ball carrier for little or no gain. Pierre-Paul is a junior, but I like him quite a bit more than I like Selvie. He's 6'6 265, and NFL Draft Scout rates him currently as a third-rounder. I think he's worth watching.

abpanther

Staff member
Big defensive slugfest at the Cotton Bowl today. Oklahoma dominated the first half, but shot themselves in the foot repeatedly with stupid penalties and turnovers. Texas rode Oklahoma mistakes to a 16-13 victory.

There were too many draft prospects to watch, but I did my best. Perhaps the most dominant player in the game was a guy named McCoy, but his first name wasn't Colt. DT Gerald McCoy was in the Texas backfield all day long. Texas was able to take advantage of his aggressive play a little in the second half by running misdirections, but McCoy was the guy who had to be accounted for on every play, and he put Colt McCoy on his backside on several occasions. McCoy is quick off the ball, and although he was effective playing DE in the 3-man fronts, he is really at his best shooting the gaps as a 3-technique in the 4-man lines. He reminds me of Peria Jerry in that regard, but McCoy's game has more dimensions than Jerry's. McCoy can drop into zone coverage, he holds the point of attack better than Jerry, and he pursues plays from sideline to sideline. The one red flag I have with McCoy is that he seems to run out of gas in the second half. I've noticed this a couple of times, but while he was far less effective in the third quarter of today's game than he had been in the first half, he made a bit of a resurgence in the fourth quarter. I'd like to see him dominate for a full four quarters, though, the way he did in the first half of today's game.

Speaking of QB Colt McCoy, I am more convinced than ever that he is a guy who will shine against the Louisiana-Monroes, Wyomings, and UTEPs of the world, but falter against major competition. His stats against Texas Tech and Oklahoma--the only competitive teams that he has faced this year--now read 45 of 73 (61.6%) for 332 yards (4.5 yards per attempt) 2 TDs and 3 INTs. His completion percentage looks pretty good until you realize that four of his completions today were third-down passes that did not pick up the first down and led to punts. His yards per completion is pretty revealing of the type of game he plays. McCoy is not known as a runner, but he was actually more effective running the ball today on misdirection plays than throwing it.

QB Sam Bradford got hurt on his second series. Who knows what his future is going to be.

Another player I payed close attention to was Oklahoma left tackle Trent Williams, and I was underwhelmed. He is strong, but not only does he not handle speed rushers well, he also seems to have trouble deciding who he is supposed to block. Maybe with good coaching, he could be an effective run-blocking right tackle, but I wouldn't draft him.

The announcers said that DE Sergio Kindle is under fire in Austin because he hasn't racked up a lot of sacks, but I thought he had another great game today. He played almost exclusively at outside linebacker, rather than defensive end, and he was all over the field. He blitzed often on both passing and running plays, applied good pressure on the passer, and caused several losses on running plays, either by disrupting the play or by making the tackle himself. He also dropped back nicely into coverage. Kindle is listed at 255, but he looks smaller and is both quick and fast. I like his versatility. I'd draft him at the end of the first round.

Other guys who caught my attention in a positive way were Texas defensive tackle Lamarr Houston and Oklahoma defensive end Austin English. I like them both as mid-round picks.

abpanther

Staff member
I watched the second half of the Oklahoma State/Missouri game.

OT Russell Okung had a very solid second half. He bulldozed his man out of the hole on running plays, and although he sometimes gave up more ground than I liked with his pass blocking, the man he was blocking never seriously threatened the quarterback. He was called for an illegal procedure once. The fact that Texas A&M defensive end Von Miller at least made Okung work is a testament to Miller's abilities, in my opinion.

Okung is quick off the snap, strong, and plays with great balance, which is really the key to his game. He never seems to overextend or get pushed around. Someone like Miller might challenge him with an
upfield rush, but Okung is able to use his slide-step and long arms to great advantage. I think he's going to be a very competent pro. Maybe not another Anthony Munoz, but good enough to count on.