1. Round 10 Edition OUT NOW:

The Magic Round issue of The Front Row, our exclusive online e-magazine and NRL match programme for is out now!

A packed Magic Round issue looks ahead to the weekend at Suncorp, with more stories including an opinion piece on a recent court verdict, news from Victoria, and a chat to Knights' rookie Phoenix Crossland - plus the full match program for Round 10 of the NRL and teams & results for NSWRL, QRL and more.

VOLUME 2 ISSUE 10 - READ NOW!

Guest, click here to read online or download your free PDF copy

OPINION: Joseph Suaalii is being set up to fail

Discussion in 'NRL' started by LeagueUnlimited News, Mar 1, 2021.

1. 84 Baby

84 Baby Coach

Laurie Daley has already predicted the next Joseph Suaalii.

And his name is Penisini

Mr Spock! likes this.
  2. GongPanther

GongPanther Referee

Off the top of my head, Micheal Jennings, Matt Sing, Ned Catic.

3. GongPanther

GongPanther Referee

Beat me to it. I forgot about big Georgie. What a character he was.

4. GongPanther

GongPanther Referee

Is the Central Coast a feeder area?

5. Babyface O'reilly

Babyface O'reilly First Grade

Since about 2012 I believe

6. SLRBRONCOS

SLRBRONCOS Coach

Can’t wait for the Nable promo when he gets a run. Will be one for the ages.

Eelectrica, some11 and Exsilium like this.
  7. Penrose Warrior

Penrose Warrior First Grade

Did they indicate they were? Because the media never does. If they said they were concerned, it would only be to create a new angle to sell papers/get clicks. The media only cares about what gets people talking or reading or sharing or reacting, nothing else. And if they say they do, it's horse shit.

Is he being set up to fail? Not necessarily. If the kid is strong enough, with the right support, he'll make it. Is it less than ideal having this level of hype around a teenager? My oath it is. But this game survives on hype and entertainment and money and the broadcasting rights. The game needs narratives and big stories to sell itself and sustain itself. And this guy's management team created some of it by the way they shopped him around etc. So I don't really have a problem with much of it. You need to be tough to make it in the NRL, and this kid might need to be even tougher to make it with all the hype and expectation that will be on him.

8. Babyface O'reilly

A number of current and retired players have talked him up too. The ‘real deal’ line has been given quite a workout.

9. Valheru

Valheru Coach

Those have already been discussed. hardly a big list for a club that is allegedly constantly poaching players you guys developed.

Besides Sualli, you can only name one first grader in the last 15 years.

10. GongPanther

GongPanther Referee

No mention that he was turning up to training withnpiss on the breath. And when he did it again,
    Look at reply #63. I posted before I read soc123_au's post. You asked for players, and I replied to your question. All you had to do was agree.

11. SBD82

SBD82 Coach

I see that the off season hasn’t tempered the insufferable nature of some Panthers fans.

Can we get @The_Frog in here for the exacta?

12. The_Frog

The_Frog Bench

I think Super League was just a means to an end.

1. They offered him the captaincy of Australia about 5 years before he should have got it.
    2. Penrith was still a basket case following the death of Ben Alexander.
    3. Fittler wasn't performing to anything like his capability and wanted to be with Gus, perhaps the only coach who laid it on the line with him and didn't piss in his pocket. This is maybe the biggest factor.

Few things in life have been more satisfying than seeing him grovel as the losing captain in the 2003 GF.

I was reading the other day what Barry Walker had to go through to stay at Penrith in the back end of his career. Loyalty agreements signed under duress. It was a dirty war.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
    oinkoink and axl rose like this.
  13. Pork Hunt

Pork Hunt Juniors

Zero shits given about Suaali here. My concerns and respect are more directed towards a young kid coming from a disadvantaged background trying to make a fist out of his life by getting up at 3am for a couple of hour commute to work in a warehouse getting paid $10 an hour. Not some upstart with Politis' silver spoon jammed up his arse who will be driving an 'incentive' Bentley for his first car. Nothing against the kid but wouldn't mind seeing the whole charade blow up spectacularly in the Roosters faces.

14. Babyface O'reilly

I forgot how much the Ben Alexander tragedy f**ked things up at the club. Many fractured relationships that took years to mend.

It’s a pretty good summation but can you confirm another thing for me? I have a memory of Freddy complaining that the club had signed en masse with SL behind his back while he was away or something like that. He was kept in the dark about the move?

15. Smug Panther

Smug Panther Juniors

You sound poor

16. Pork Hunt

Pork Hunt Juniors

Realistic.
    Go ahead and beat off to the Suaali commentary all you like if that's what floats your boat.

17. soc123_au

soc123_au Coach

He sounds like a dumb merkin. I bet he walks barefoot uphill in the snow from the station to warehouse both ways too. No warehouses closer to home?

18. oinkoink

oinkoink Juniors

he sounds like a poor cnt.
    Seeing Freddy mentioned here makes me wonder if he has been called out on this forum for his substandard (compared to his normal standard) performances for the majority of his career in big games.
    IMO Freddy didn't really aim up in Origin or finals for the Roosters until later in his career.

19. some11

some11 Coach

Phhhhwwwooooaaaaarrr

and what about this bloke

he hasnt even played a game yet..

SBD82, SLRBRONCOS and TheDMC like this.
  20. BranVan3000

BranVan3000 Coach

I’m yet to see what the hype is about - though I’ve only ever seen highlights

Seems like a big kid with good athleticism but he doesn’t seem to have ungodly levels of speed or football ability

Angus Crichton schoolboy highlights blew me away. Suaalii I haven’t seen it yet but I could be wrong

Jim Rockford likes this.