What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opinion on the Hayne tackle.

jasonl

Juniors
This must be the ultimate headache for the NRL.

Gibbs gets 3 weeks for a pretty borderline use of knees against Luke Burt.

Go figure.

The head on shot of Hayne is hardly pretty - the ball has been grounded and yet he propells with full momentum to the head.

imo, no question that he could have pulled out.

A centimeter either way and Goodwin could have copped it straight in the temple - a career ending injury (think maybe Jarred McCracken).

And what then?

I suppose its a question of gate receipts versus justice. After all, Slater leads with knees every game and Thurston is free to kick players in the face.

But that's OK apparently. They're superstars.

So be it.

Anyway, would value your opinions.

Jase

Last edited:

Funky Munky

Juniors
This must be the ultimate headache for the NRL.

Gibbs gets 3 weeks for a pretty borderline use of knees against Luke Burt.

Go figure.

The head on shot of Hayne is hardly pretty - the ball has been grounded and yet he propells with full momentum to the head.

imo, no question that he could have pulled out.

A centimeter either way and Goodwin could have copped it straight in the temple - a career ending injury (think maybe Jarred McCracken).

And what then?

I suppose its a question of gate receipts versus justice. After all, Slater leads with knees every game and Thurston is free to kick players in the face.

But that's OK apparently. They're superstars.

So be it.

Anyway, would value your opinions.

Jase

its a lot easier for the NRL to rub Gibbs out for 3 games than Hayne obviously. its a joke and the reason why the game will always be flawed

simmo1

First Grade
Accidental or not, it was definitely dangerous and probably deserved at least week.

westie

Bench
Grand finals etc should be worth a lot more than a regular season game. It's not fair to miss the big one as a player and for a team to lose a crucial player in a game where tactics are so finely tuned. Brisbane and Melbourne would have been a contest if Wallace was there, losing a player to suspension can ruin the game as a contest and end a season based on a second of the bad luck you can't avoid in footy.

Regan

Juniors
Grand finals etc should be worth a lot more than a regular season game. It's not fair to miss the big one as a player and for a team to lose a crucial player in a game where tactics are so finely tuned. Brisbane and Melbourne would have been a contest if Wallace was there, losing a player to suspension can ruin the game as a contest and end a season based on a second of the bad luck you can't avoid in footy.

Bullsh#t what about smith last year ...rules are rules and untill they change them they are the same for every player maybe in few years they can change and maybe a season game you get 100 percent full charge so a grade three is counted as grade three than

Have a percent system for the games say first week of finals you get a 25 percent discount so if you get charge for a grade one offence you get the discount because game worth more and you dont miss the next week.. but and if you get charge in the second week you mite say the game worth more so you get a 35 percent discount than the next week you mite get a 40 percent discount so that way the league wont be scared of charging ...players merkin complain and say the game worth more and should not be ruled out of the match fans will be happy and every one know where they stand

I hope it all makes sence and my spelling ok i am tired had a few beers and have not went to bed about to ...

But i think this system would be good for orgin as well a discount for players.... but with points you get charged with should have a longer carry over an should reduce as fast as they have done this year

like this year you need 100 points against you to miss a game and every game you play and dont get charge they reduce but i think in the more importnat games you need a longer carry over so players wont go out and do things knowing they can get off and earn the points off in so many weeks ....in say a game where you get a 25 percent discount for getting charge it should take you 25 percent longer to earn off the points against you so its over your heard so you know you merkin go out and take out a teams play maker

I hope this all makes sence its late or early depends if you going to bed or getting up ... very tired as write this

Please tell me what you think or my idear may be its good maybe bad but i like it

macnaz

Staff member
All i can say is it was equal if not worse than the Gibbs incident and his was grade 2 . He also escaped dropping a forearm into Ellis's head at fulltime in the game against us . So it was all very predictable .

super_coach

First Grade
Both Gibbs and Haynes should have escaped any suspension, But the NRL set the bench mark when they rubbed Brains Gibbs out. Anyway its never been a level playing field and never will.

I just hope the Storm come out and give them a good spanking because to come second is a worse feeling than to come last

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Utterly predictable but a joke nonetheless.

The fact that Gibbs got three weeks for that incident was a disgrace in itself. Where was the uproar when that suspension was handed out?

And I'm the first to admit Gibbs is an absolute idiot, can't stand the guy and I think he's a braindead meathead but that's irrelevant. Three weeks for that and Hayne gets none. Its just bullsh*t.

DanOz

Juniors
Neither of them should have been suspended. No comparison to the career ending spear tackle on McCracken either, apples and oranges. Thurstons kick in the head in State of Origin is another matter again...

I have no problem with him not being suspended,

He was going full pelt for the ball on the ground then when Goodwin scored he did all in his power to pull out.

He tucked his feet away and tried to miss him.

Keating's incident was a fend gone wrong by Hannant, his arm ended up over Keating's shoulder and then Hindmarsh grabbed his hand.

No issues with either getting off.

Gibbs incident was totally different Burt had scored and then Gibbs landed on him with his knees for no apparent reason.

But that is our Brycey, no apprent reason for anything he does.

jasonl

Juniors
"'We felt this was a completely different set of circumstances," McCallum said. "In the case of Bryce Gibbs, Luke Burt carried the ball into the in-goal and was hit from behind. In Jarryd Hayne's case, the ball was free and loose immediately prior to to him diving on it.

Sure pal, whatever.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gibbs' knees were slightly later and considering that he was diving at the hips of an outstretched player scoring a try, it is rather pointless diving at the hips (the arms are still free to score). These 2 factors make Gibbs' knee incident look pre-meditated.

Hayne's, while stupid, didn't come across as looking as intentional as Gibbs.

You see a lot of players, fullbacks especially, who will slide, knees first towards a player stretching to score, hoping that the attacking player will try to ground the ball, but end up putting it into the legs of the sliding player.

Slater does it better and more often than anyone else. I think hayne was very poorly trying to execute such a manouvere.

Gibbs was just pointless, given the position of Burt and Gibbs prior to the kneeing, how was it in any way possible for Gibbs to prevent the try?

I have no problem with either ruling.

RoMo

Juniors
Parra have been getting every 50/50 call (or worse) for the last 3 months
The bespectacled clown at Fox Studios and his incompetent henchman Finch, McCallum and Anusley have decreed that it's Parra's turn to win

DanOz

Juniors
The bespectacled clown at Fox Studios and his incompetent henchman Finch, McCallum and Anusley have decreed that it's Parra's turn to win

Do you seriously believe this? If so, would you like to buy a '98 model Excel off me for $25000 since it used to be owned by Elvis?

RoMo

Juniors
Have a look at the calls they have been getting
Once or twice it is coincidence
But it has been happening for nigh on 3 months now
Hayne and Kingston v Dogs
Marshalls not forward passes that were called forward
The penalty Ben Smith milked vs Titans at a crucial stage that should have gone to the titans
Shall I keep going ?

DanOz

Juniors
Every team has runs of good or bad calls. I accept there are certain things individual referees are either hard on or lenient on, and this can work to the detriment of some teams and the advantage of others. I dont accept there is deliberate bias, ie cheating / match fixing etc as it always comes out in the end. 2 can keep a secret if 1 of them is dead.

gronkathon

First Grade
You could but I am not sure the server could handle the workload.

Add Hayne throwing elbow strikes at 3 seperate players in the last 2 months that connected yet he isn't charged.

I guess Jesus makes him perfect. That of Brian Houston has broken out theold knee pads again and imbibed some Gallop

RoMo

Juniors
Spot on they have been getting away with it for months now
DanOz do you believe in the magic bullet and lone gunman as well or do you believe in what you have seen with your own eyes ?

Latest posts