What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Origin 1 at Melbourne Covid Ground

simmo05

Bench
With multiple new covid cases down here ( which again amazingly seem to coincide with large sports events and a looming long weekend, imagine that! ) the afl halting ticket sales for this round with potentially no crowds this weekend, mandatory masks now enforced in melbourne, what does the NRL do with regards to origin 1?

Do they change the grounds or stay the course with potentially no crowd? Only 2 weeks away and Melbourne, going by past history, is about to go into city wide lockdown...

azza29

Juniors
Will be very disappointed to see this pulled, missed out on the Adelaide Oval game last year so history repeats for a second year in a row, possibly another set of tickets refunded :(

Could always move it to the Sunshine Coast...

They cancelled SOO then held it here in Adelaide last year in November at 50% capacity... I went and it didn’t compare with a full house Origin (the game was a dud too).

I think the NRL will persist, but it will depend on what the Vic State Government comes up with in terms of any crowd restrictions...

If it’s a 50% limit or above I think it’s a go at the MCG. That’s still 50,000 people and so still a decent turnout/revenue etc.

If below 50%.. I think it’ll get canned and brought to Sydney or Brisbane.

But they won’t be going back to the MCG til at least 2024. 2022 is Perth, 2023 is Adelaide...

Will be very disappointed to see this pulled, missed out on the Adelaide Oval game last year so history repeats for a second year in a row, possibly another set of tickets refunded :(

Could always move it to the Sunshine Coast...

Or Apex oval in Dubbo... take it to the bush!!

Come back to Adelaide in 2023 mate... I’ll see you there..

BunniesMan

Immortal
Six million plus reasons!
Ridiculous logic. This made sense decades ago when rugby league was a foreign product. Now there is plenty of access. The Storm, tv, internet. We do not need to take 1 of 3 games away and take away the core element of tribalism that makes Origin what it is.

It is NSW v QLD. It will never matter to victorians as much. I would rather the grand final play down there instead of one more origin.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Ridiculous logic. This made sense decades ago when rugby league was a foreign product. Now there is plenty of access. The Storm, tv, internet. We do not need to take 1 of 3 games away and take away the core element of tribalism that makes Origin what it is.

It is NSW v QLD. It will never matter to victorians as much. I would rather the grand final play down there instead of one more origin.

you seem to not understand the point of origin! It’s a cash cow for nrl, nswrl and qrl. Where it can make most money is where it will be played. The six million was in relation to what nrl gets from the hosting state when it goes outside of nsw and qlnd, not the number of people in melbourne lol

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
Refund the locally purchased tickets and move it to Perth. It isn't like it wouldn't sell out in minutes anyway, but with these rule changes strangling the game to death, maybe it wouldn't this time.

Perth Tiger

Bench

Latest posts