What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Origin 1 - Townsville (Wed 09 June 2021)

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Lol....You perhaps do not understand footy. Ever watch NFL? TOM Brady was never flashy. He couldn't run. But is the GOAT. The reason is he controlled everything. Modern day halves play a similar role. Your flashy guys don't work without a master to steer them around. Luai alone would be average. Nathan wins games by writing the script. His kicking game is one of best I have seen. He also nails goal kicks under pressure from everywhere and kicks field goals under pressure. He is a winner. I can see him being dominant for 10yrs
I agree with this, but Luai makes Cleary a better player as well.

If Cleary was partnered with a less talented 6 it would put a lot more pressure on him and mean that he would have to do more than just rely on his impeccable kicking and organising game.

They are the best halves combo in the game by some margin and complement each other perfectly.

hindy111

Post Whore
seriously ?

I would not have had Teddy in the top 4

Yes.
Turbo was 3 and Nathan and Teddy was 2 and 1. Do not recall the order.
Cleary was great but I feel Latrel and Luai influenced the game more when it was close.
Haas and Nathan too the game away from them and Teddy shined once game was dusted.

strider

Post Whore
I think people overlook one of Cleary's greatest attributes ..... he adjusts to what the team needs.

When he was playing with Maloney years ago, everyone was all "he does nothing, Maloney does it all" - yeah cos he was content to take a backseat, do his job and help maloney shine ..... there were a few games Maloney didn't play and Cleary had blinders

He then proceeded to take the reins and dominate more .... now Luai can be Mr creative and play like a unpredictable merkin doing flashy stuff - and Cleary is happy to support that - and then step up if needed.

You take Laui away from Penrith and play him WITHOUT another half who can do the boring stuff well (kicking, organising) and Laui's erratic play probably ends up exposed and he is just a flashy merkin who might win you some games but cost you some too ..... Luai needs a steady merkin to play with

JokerEel

Coach
If any team in the NRL implements the same strategy NSW did they will be hard to stop.

Halfack 5/8 and both centres passing out to each other!

Gronk

Staff member
If any team in the NRL implements the same strategy NSW did they will be hard to stop.

Halfack 5/8 and both centres passing out to each other!
Wasn't it that Teddy danced through the middle and rucked back the kicks and Turbo played the sweeping fullback role ?

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
84% of all of the decent players have poly/NZ heritage. We’d end up seriously weakening our only decent product if we went down that path...

King-Gutho94

Coach

Penrith's Kurt Capewell is also expected to shift from the centres to the interchange for Origin II as the Maroons look for a way to limit the damage caused by Tom Trbojevic and Chambers, Tabuai-Fidow or Parramatta's Tom Opacic are among the options likely to be considered.

It is believed that Opacic had been in contention for Origin I but the Maroons selectors were concerned that South Sydney's Dane Gagai and Alex Johnston scored three tries each on the edge where he and Blake Ferguson were defending on the weekend before the team was named.

King-Gutho94

Coach

Penrith's Kurt Capewell is also expected to shift from the centres to the interchange for Origin II as the Maroons look for a way to limit the damage caused by Tom Trbojevic and Chambers, Tabuai-Fidow or Parramatta's Tom Opacic are among the options likely to be considered.

It is believed that Opacic had been in contention for Origin I but the Maroons selectors were concerned that South Sydney's Dane Gagai and Alex Johnston scored three tries each on the edge where he and Blake Ferguson were defending on the weekend before the team was named.

Looks like opacic was a chance for QLD before they swap him the weekend before origin.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Lol but Gaydude was picked, he’s never been a centre’s arsehole. I hope QLD Dane is picked for game 2.