What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ORIGIN 2023

Quigs

Immortal
There is no way The Channel Nein Freddy team is going to drop Luai. No way.

Same with a half fit Turbo.

fizman

Bench
There is no way The Channel Nein Freddy team is going to drop Luai. No way.

Same with a half fit Turbo.
A Reynolds/Walker combination would significantly increase Ch 9's ratings - I will be shocked if the Channel 9 NSW Selectors don't go this way.

A Reynolds/Walker combination would significantly increase Ch 9's ratings - I will be shocked if the Channel 9 NSW Selectors don't go this way.
That makes sense football wise, without any considerations for ratings. Unfortunately our Nicho does not seem to have the temprament for dealing with more intensive opposition.

Weaponhead

Coach
Hope Cleary is well. I want to see them lose exactly as they are.
That injury takes away any pressure on him. Fittler and Brandy are all in on Panthers ball and more specifically Cleary. If they got pumped at Suncorp with the Penny gang, Freddy and Brandy are gone and so is the playing Penny ball in origin.

Stake Removed

First Grade
Hynes would love to be in the team, but best not to get selected for 2nd game.
Tedesco will be overcalling for the ball in this game.
It will be disjointed to the extreme.
If Latrell was fullback Cody 5/8 and Nico half that would work

Weaponhead

Coach
From a Sharks perspective, if Hynes is picked and NSW get pumped then it could really impact his confidence.

If Hynes gets dropped for Reynolds (or someone else) then he could be left with the disappointment of game 1.

If he gets picked, plays well and NSW win, he could really grow.

Frenzy.

Immortal
Agree. NSW have to pick a team to win. Not who deserves it. Deserves is irrelevant.
If they do go that way then there must be an argument to bring Cook in as he'll work well with Reyno/Cody.

That puts Api to bench and Hynes to the trash. I'd prefer that anyway

Frenzy.

Immortal
From a Sharks perspective, if Hynes is picked and NSW get pumped then it could really impact his confidence.

If Hynes gets dropped for Reynolds (or someone else) then he could be left with the disappointment of game 1.

If he gets picked, plays well and NSW win, he could really grow.

IMO he took that disappointment into the Broncos game already.

Must win origin Game.

Being played at Suncorp Stadium.

If Fittler is smart it’s not a game to throw Nicho into 7 and be the major playmaker and general play kicker and goal kicker.

The smart play is to have Reynolds at 7. He’s in great form and is like a clone of Cleary with organising, general play kicking and goal kicking. He plays at that ground every second week. Broncos players in QLD will be compromised. Do they really want to bash Reynolds out of the game and f**k any chance they have this year for a Premiership. Subconsciously they won’t.

Who you pick at 6 is not the issue here. They are second fiddle to Reynolds.

Choose from Nicho Hynes, Cody Walker & Jerome Luai. My pick would be Hynes. He gives NSW a genuine second general play kicker and backup goal kicker if Reynolds gets hurt. Remember if Tom Turbo and Latrell are back probably means Creighton out. (The other backup goal kicker)

The next smart thing to do is put Damien Cook on the bench or start. We need that energy from a second hooker in the game.

Whoever doesn’t get the 5/8 role there not in the team. Brutal but they are not needed in the 17 if we have a second hooker on the bench.

If Latrell is fit bring him into the centres.

f**k off that myth Pangai Junior and put Saifiti back in the team.

A lot of changes and probably won’t happen but Fittler really cocked up the first game selection.

Last edited:

shadowboxer

First Grade
Turbo passes his concussion test and playing this weekend.
Auto selection for origin Fittler?
He plays, they lose.
Blinded by his own reflection in the flog mirror

DJDL

Bench
Whichever way they go I hope the replacement brains 'em.
I've had a look over Cleary's stats for his Origin career to date and, honestly, I don't know what we are clinging onto. How he has a mortgage on the position is beyond me.

Admittedly his past couple of series have been better, but you need a lot more from your halves.

1686134910384.png

Chimp

Bench
Whichever way they go I hope the replacement brains 'em.
I've had a look over Cleary's stats for his Origin career to date and, honestly, I don't know what we are clinging onto. How he has a mortgage on the position is beyond me.

Admittedly his past couple of series have been better, but you need a lot more from your halves.

View attachment 75243
His long kicking game should be big in origin - I’d like to see stats on how often he finds grass rather than caught on the full… origin vs club vs the NRL average… not sure that’s a stat that will be kept though. It should be though - quite an important one. They should also measure the kick return meters against each kicker, obviously the lower the kick return meters, the better.