What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Origin 2k18

TheFrog

Coach
Freddie has put all his eggs in the one basket going with all out speed in the outside backs.
All it will take is for Queensland to get over 55% of possession and we'll be in bother. The danger is the forwards running out of juice having to take all the hitups as well as do all the tackling.

As Gus pointed out, Turbo played on the wing for Manly when he started in first grade.

He's not a take it up into the teeth of the defence kind of winger like Sauce, none of the outside backs are. This is where NSW are taking a huge risk.

Last edited:

tripster

Juniors
All it will take is for Queensland to get over 55% of possession and we'll be in bother. The danger is the forwards running out of juice having to take all the hitups as well as do all the tackling.

He's not a take it up into the teeth of the defence kind of winger like Sauce, none of the outside backs are. This is where NSW are taking a huge risk.

Agree completely. I don't know how NSW plan to deal with this issue. One possibility is that we are going to take a lot of risk at the back and spread the ball early and often - Teddy will start running it back and we'll take the risk of early passes to JAC and Turbo in an effort to get around defenders rather than go head first into them.

If it doesn't work then our forwards are going to have a huge amount of extra work to do.

If I was QLD on the other hand, with Ben Hunt's excellent kicking game, I'd be kicking early and turning NSW around, forcing Teddy, JAC and T Turbo to take it out without much room to move.

OldPanther

Coach

Agree completely. I don't know how NSW plan to deal with this issue. One possibility is that we are going to take a lot of risk at the back and spread the ball early and often - Teddy will start running it back and we'll take the risk of early passes to JAC and Turbo in an effort to get around defenders rather than go head first into them.

If it doesn't work then our forwards are going to have a huge amount of extra work to do.

If I was QLD on the other hand, with Ben Hunt's excellent kicking game, I'd be kicking early and turning NSW around, forcing Teddy, JAC and T Turbo to take it out without much room to move.

On the flip side there is the advantage of tiring the QLD pack easily. They will be having to use a lot of lateral movement to defend.

MrBlack

Juniors
Weakest QLD pack in a long time. We have them for size and pace in that department.

Plan should be to play up tempo footy and run them around. Will open space up out wide for the speedy backs.

franklin2323

Immortal
Weakest QLD pack in a long time. We have them for size and pace in that department.

Plan should be to play up tempo footy and run them around. Will open space up out wide for the speedy backs.

Guys like J.Turbo, Cook and Peachey against tiring defence would be the plan

mxlegend99

Referee
Yeah I dont see our supposed flaws being a huge issue.

Our shitty defensive backline might have issues. But QLD have missed more tackles than our guys. I remember Hodges coning out and paying out on Jenko for his defence. Then it being revealed he was actually better than him. Same issue here.

Our backs cant help the forwards out... yet Turbo and Tedesco are great at making metres and busting tackles. They might not make post contact metres. But I think our sets will start off just fine. Gagai and Holmes dont run for huge metres on the wing at club level. Holmes made about 45m in a Sharks game this year and Gagai is a centre. But you know for this game they will dig in. Who says JAC and Turbo can't? One played for Australia. The other won a grand final. Not exactly chumps.

Our only issue is the amount of rookies and new combinations. Queensland try to make out like theres a ridiculous mountain to overcome. Yet their entire 1-7 has played Origin. Many of them heaps of times. Pack is very experienced too. But largely out of form.

Our side has more stacked against it. Yet QLD want to be the underdogs.

A rookie centre pairing.
A rookie winger pairing.
A rookie halfback.
A rookie hooker.
Front rowers. Lock. Utility etc.

Oh but we have a rookie hooker and only 2 games experience in our halves. Deadset.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
5dnznn.png

sparky34

Juniors
That's crazy how similar they are.

Old enough to know that's Frederick Mercury was a British singer, songwriter and record producer, best known as the lead vocalist of the rock band Queen.
Was also gay doesn't worry me but there biggest hit was wait for it :

WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS, omen there look like twins Reg + Freddy

OldPanther

Coach
Old enough to know that's Frederick Mercury was a British singer, songwriter and record producer, best known as the lead vocalist of the rock band Queen.
Was also gay doesn't worry me but there biggest hit was wait for it :

WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS, omen there look like twins Reg + Freddy

Yeah I know who he is. You might be onto something there.

Blues Riff

Bench
Yeah dunno if it was their biggest hit, but lets go with that.
Bohemian Rhapsody was number one for months (twice).

Anyway, Rosenfield's started a thread on this , so it's a hot topic.