What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Animation Software

DJDL

Bench
I was talking to a mate who has an idea for doing something with animated figures and he's asked me to look into how to do it.

Just wondering if anyone on here has any experience with it? And what software you use/recommend.

His idea is using clay figures, kind of like Wallace and Grommit.
Ideally it would be something which works on Mac.

Cheers guys
Don

carcharias

Immortal
dunno about mac but you could do it easily using that animation program ( can't remember now ) it creates gif files I think.
Quigs uses it I think to make some of his av's.
I use it for surfing.
I take a sequence of a dude on a wave then just add them together to make a little vid.
The animation file is usually heaps smaller in size compared to vid.
you can adjust the the time each pic is shown etc etc.

You could make claymation doing this.
I'd suggest using a tripod though.
animation shop??? it might be called.

now ...Mac has plenty of similar gear in the photo editing section.

Reefy could probably tell you ...he has a mac tat.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
Don't know about the mac tat, but I administer windows clusters, unix boxes & mac & combinations of the 3.
I thought you already had a mac DJLD?
If your mate doesn't, then he should.
Did a speed comparison the other day on G5 QUAD simultaneously running mac os & VMware fusion running windows 7 inside it.
The G5 was quicker in windows than the same spec PC. IF your doing VID, graphics, animation etc. there is no comparison.
Buy a pc if you are a broke ass & will never be able to afford a decent system, they will get the job done eventually.

DJDL

Bench
Don't know about the mac tat, but I administer windows clusters, unix boxes & mac & combinations of the 3.
I thought you already had a mac DJLD?
If your mate doesn't, then he should.

Did a speed comparison the other day on G5 QUAD simultaneously running mac os & VMware fusion running windows 7 inside it.
The G5 was quicker in windows than the same spec PC
. IF your doing VID, graphics, animation etc. there is no comparison.
Buy a pc if you are a broke ass & will never be able to afford a decent system, they will get the job done eventually.

I do, which is why I asked for Mac-specific software. My mate is clueless on anything to do with computers, sorry consumer-products :p, so I'll be doing the work.

I've read that. I'll be upgrading to the top spec 15" MBP probably early next year. Can't wait

The animation will be using clay models

It's cool I think I've foound the answer - iStopMotion. It looks pretty sweet

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
win 7 has made my job a nightmare.

I log into peoples computers and with win 7 they are asked for permissions on screen that I cannot see.

I may as well go back to the old days of having to go onsite.
check this out..might help.
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=372037

Carch there is a section in Windows 7 that allows exceptions so that you can turn that dialogue off for specific software.
Alternatively download the Ultra VNC Single click instructions & make your own remote control software. Piece of pizz & doesnt require any port forwarding & usually isnt restricted or blocked by admin.
Ultra (VNC) allows control of any type of computer. Revolutionary software.

carcharias

Immortal
mate....it is the numbski's at the other end that make it hard for me.

we use logmein ..which is great once they fix those permissions .
All they have to do is click on "ok" a couple of times.

but that is the hard part...they even struggle to type the web address in.

They get flustered...oldies are a punish.