What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: ASADA and Drugs in NRL

Eels Dude

Coach
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/drug-testers-snare-two-young-eels-in-their-net-20110507-1ed7a.html

The Sun-Herald can reveal the players are serving a provisional suspension for testing positive to a banned substance, believed to be the stimulant dimethylpentylamine (methylhexaneamine). Both have denied knowingly taking any illegal agents and the charges will be defended at a NSWRL tribunal hearing, tentatively set down for May 19. The pair were drug-tested after playing for Wentworthville in the final round of the NSW Cup last year. It is alleged the players were given the substance by Wentworthville staff in the form of a supplement commercially known as Jack3d. The Magpies staffers are no longer employed by the club.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/nrl-premiership/tigers-fullback-tom-humble-to-make-debut-after-returning-from-drug-ban-to-replace-injured-tedesco/story-fn2mcuj6-1226291488372#.UUu8sxdHIf0

Humble unwittingly ingested the substance in a performance supplement that was routinely provided to Wentworthville players before games.

The trainer responsible, who no longer works at the club, refused to assist the 23-year-old in his attempts to convince ASADA to immediately overturn the ban.

Tony Bongo

Bench
NRL defends handling of doping case

NRL chief executive Dave Smith has brushed off claims the AFL has handled the drugs scandal better than his code as the ARL Commission prepares to unveil further details about its response to the issue.

ASADA has begun arranging interviews with 31 NRL players of interest, a process that is expected to take six weeks. Five of the six NRL clubs named in the Australian Crime Commission's report have been cleared of systemic doping, with Cronulla still under scrutiny.

Smith played down suggestions that the AFL had handled the drugs controversy better than his code.

"I'm not comparing myself with the AFL," Smith said. "I'm sure they have a set of problems that they're dealing with and we've got a set of issues as well that we're dealing with. The really important thing for me is to get to the end of it and others can decide what they want to decide. For me, it's about doing the right thing, being open and transparent and doing it as quickly as we can.

"We're doing the right thing in terms of supporting ASADA and getting it done. It's much more about fans and the people in the game, doing the right thing by them.

"I know they are understandably feeling uncertain and hopefully we have taken some of that uncertainty away. There's a way to go on this. As it unfolds people will see the facts and the key thing is the game is stronger at the end of it."

The ARLC has proposed a number of measures to deal with the fallout from the ACC report, including the formation of an integrity unit, the introduction of blood passports for elite players and new tests for human growth hormone. Smith said the ARLC could be in a position to outline further details about the initiatives as soon as this week.

"When we announce the programs, we need to make sure they are well thought through and how we're going to implement them as well," he said. "We've given the outline of what we're going to do so what we're doing is put some flesh on the bones, if you like. It's going really well and we're spending a lot of time talking about it with the clubs and with ASADA because they will be administering a lot of the additional testing programs.

"In the next few days we should be able to give a bit more clarity. You have to set up integrity in a way that is constantly screening for emerging threats, so you have to adjust your response to those emerging threats. It will be one of those things where you need to be proactive about sharing information with other codes and work well with the government to provide a more national approach. We've already started to implement these things.

"I don't know if it will [all] be done by the end of the year but some of the big-ticket things we've announced will be under way by the end of the year, some much before."

Many of the clubs named and subsequently cleared of systemic doping have hit out at the process, with some waiting until the investigation is completed before considering their legal options. Asked if he felt for clubs whose reputation was smeared then cleared, Smith said: "I feel for everybody who falls into the situation. It's far from ideal and none of us want to be in the situation we're in. The fact we're moving forward and giving some shape and more clarity is progressive. All 16 clubs have been terrific."

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...doping-case-20130325-2gq42.html#ixzz2OaFPCfxy

parra pete

Referee

Tony Bongo

Bench
I'm still unsure as to why 31 interviews will take 6 weeks. Does it seriously take all day to ask someone a few questions?

I'm still unsure as to why 31 interviews will take 6 weeks. Does it seriously take all day to ask someone a few questions?

They triangulate evidence, Tony. They'll set aside time in between interviews in which they will use what they have learned from 1 person to amend the questions asked to the next guy(s), and then may go back to the original interviewee etc. Now, of course, a number of players may not have very much to say to them......

Tony Bongo

Bench
You aint stupid eh bazza

No he's not but plenty of the blokes they are interviewing are. It would take 10 minutes to come up with a trick question for them. It will probably take so long because of how many times they um and ah in a sentence (assuming they can string one together).

No he's not but plenty of the blokes they are interviewing are. It would take 10 minutes to come up with a trick question for them. It will probably take so long because of how many times they um and ah in a sentence (assuming they can string one together).

Yeh, but, what if Joe Citizen's manager tells him to deny everything, here's the transcript:

ASADA: You are Joe Citizen of 123 Credibility St?

Joe Citizen: No!

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Yeh, but, what if Joe Citizen's manager tells him to deny everything, here's the transcript:

ASADA: You are Joe Citizen of 123 Credibility St?

Joe Citizen: No!

If those bell ends from ASADA had done their homework they would have realised that Joe lives next door at 125.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Players will probably be advised by their legal reps to say nothing, much like the Storm players.

ASADA is a govt department, dont expect too much urgency.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Would appear there have been attempts to give the AFL preferential treatment by ASADA - who's boss seems to be singing from a different song sheet ...

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/how-secret-bombers-deal-came-unstuck-20130327-2guor.html
Good to see AFL real serious in trying to clean up it's drug problem :roll:

It already has a 2819202728129 strikes drug policy and now it is happy to try and do deals to let drug cheats off scott free. Just another reason to hate this crappy abortion of a sport.

strider

Post Whore
Good to see AFL real serious in trying to clean up it's drug problem :roll:

It already has a 2819202728129 strikes drug policy and now it is happy to try and do deals to let drug cheats off scott free. Just another reason to hate this crappy abortion of a sport.

:lol: :lol:

Latest posts