What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: ASADA and Drugs in NRL

bartman

Immortal
Having read the article online, I don't see how anyone can defend this disgraceful media organization for their gutter journalism. Their "facts" are 1+1=4654. Absolute disgrace. I personally haven't spent a cent on any News Limited product since they did their best to completely destroy our game in April 1995. Begrudgingly paying for subscription TV because I have no local alternative. They are bottom feeders and have proven that time and time again.

To be fair, their "facts" are quoted from the 60 page independent report commissioned by the Sharks club, and now passed onto ASADA and the NRL. In this case, the paper is not making up the speculation - they are reporting on news - and so is the other paper with its very similar article.

Wally21

Bench
To be fair, their "facts" are quoted from the 60 page independent report commissioned by the Sharks club, and now passed onto ASADA and the NRL. In this case, the paper is not making up the speculation - they are reporting on news - and so is the other paper with its very similar article.

Have you read the report? Considering their track record in gutter journalism, my opinion has not changed. Just because they have claimed to have used the report as the basis for the story, means nothing. It remains complete speculation at this stage.

Actually, the SMH article is worse because its claiming the News Limited article as its source. They should know better.

Gronk

Staff member
I'm just catching up with this. I saw Brett Read on Sportsline suggesting that peptides may have reversed Manah's remission or accelerated his death by Hodgkins Lymphoma ?

Pretty nasty speculation. Based on the coroners findings ? I bet not, just loose science is my guess.

Really, really unnecessary IMHO.

Suitman

Post Whore
I'm just catching up with this. I saw Brett Read on Sportsline suggesting that peptides may have reversed Manah's remission or accelerated his death by Hodgkins Lymphoma ?

Pretty nasty speculation. Based on the coroners findings ? I bet not, just loose science is my guess.

Really, really unnecessary IMHO.

Keep up.

Suity

"leaked" documents? if this is so serious than why is someone leaking it? should it be handed to police, ASADA and the government?
Why give it to the media unless you are trying to cover something else up or take attention away from something else.

"leaked" documents? if this is so serious than why is someone leaking it? should it be handed to police, ASADA and the government?
Why give it to the media unless you are trying to cover something else up or take attention away from something else.

the media pays better

84 Baby

Referee
Completely disagree. Whilst I do squirm over having Jon's face emblazoned on the front page, this is how whistleblowing works. The media & public attention will put more pressure on ASADA/police than one person ever could. And if I were the Mannah's and someone had been grossly negligent then I would want to know.

I may be naive... but I reckon the leaking of this was more to ensure it wasn't covered up

emjaycee

Coach
I wonder if this report will lead to criminal charges if proven to be accurate.

If it is accurate i can see the Central Coast Bears getting a start in season 2014.

barney gumble

Juniors
The only credible witness the Telegraph quote in their woeful story is an Oncologist who says there is no evidence of a link between the taking of peptide/steroids to increased risk of relapse for a cancer patient. Should've killed off the story right there, but no, the Tele make it front page news and put the Mannah family through increased stress and grief. A new low of lows in my opinion.

barney gumble

Juniors
Completely disagree. Whilst I do squirm over having Jon's face emblazoned on the front page, this is how whistleblowing works. The media & public attention will put more pressure on ASADA/police than one person ever could. And if I were the Mannah's and someone had been grossly negligent then I would want to know.

I may be naive... but I reckon the leaking of this was more to ensure it wasn't covered up

You are naive. Whistle blowing involves actual facts. This disgraceful story involves nothing but speculation with comments such as 'possible links' and 'may have', then comments from an actual professional are totally ignored. The telegraph's story had nothing to do with 'exposing a cover up' as you suggest, it's all about selling copies of the atrocious rag and to hell with the truth or the consequences.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
You are naive. Whistle blowing involves actual facts. This disgraceful story involves nothing but speculation with comments such as 'possible links' and 'may have', then comments from an actual professional are totally ignored. The telegraph's story had nothing to do with 'exposing a cover up' as you suggest, it's all about selling copies of the atrocious rag and to hell with the truth or the consequences.
Agree 100%. The journos who are in involved in this are absolute scum. With no thought whatsoever for the Mannah family.

84 Baby

Referee
I was referring to the implication that it was a Sharks official that leaked the report to the news.

And whilst there is no link between these drugs and cancer relapses, there is also no study to prove otherwise. Cancers are notoriously fickle even compared to other ailments, and any reasonable oncologist would say peptides would be more likely to trigger relapse than not.

If it is a whistleblower then it could have been handled better by anonymously tipping the Mannahs. If it's some just trying to bignote themselves then there a wanker of god like proportions. But either way I agree sensationalist media at it's finest. And the acts of Erin Molan et al have been nothing short of mindboggingly f**ktardedry. I mean do they honestly look at what they do and say to themselves "today I made the world a better place, by being a completely disempathetic douchebag"? BUT.... as I said IF this is whistleblowing and IF the report leads to evidence of massive criminal negligence then IF it were me in the position I'd want to know

Bigfella

Coach

There are partial quotes. There is no analysis of the merit of the items quoted.

For example there is no direct evidence quoted to way that John was administered peptides. The report appears to rely on circumstances such as the time John played certain games, and an unquoted "chronology": "based on the chronology it appears Mannah was administered with substances...".

In other words they assume because he was there at a certain time then he received certain substances. That wouldn't hold up in any court of law.

The "facts" in relation to the alleged causal link are "a brief review of the available published literature suggests an identified causal link...".

There was no analysis or review of his medical records.

It falls far short of the facts and evidence required to prove the matters they have implied.

barney gumble

Juniors
I was referring to the implication that it was a Sharks official that leaked the report to the news.

And whilst there is no link between these drugs and cancer relapses, there is also no study to prove otherwise. Cancers are notoriously fickle even compared to other ailments, and any reasonable oncologist would say peptides would be more likely to trigger relapse than not.

If it is a whistleblower then it could have been handled better by anonymously tipping the Mannahs. If it's some just trying to bignote themselves then there a wanker of god like proportions. But either way I agree sensationalist media at it's finest. And the acts of Erin Molan et al have been nothing short of mindboggingly f**ktardedry. I mean do they honestly look at what they do and say to themselves "today I made the world a better place, by being a completely disempathetic douchebag"? BUT.... as I said IF this is whistleblowing and IF the report leads to evidence of massive criminal negligence then IF it were me in the position I'd want to know

I couldn't disagree more with pretty much everything you said here. Will leave it at that though other than to say your comments lay underniable guilt that Jon Mannah took peptides whilst in remission. Let me tell you that cancer patients and their families become nearly as skilled as the doctors themselves when it comes to all the different drugs they can and cannot take. This includes treatment such as the many chemotherapy drugs but also the many drugs (including steroids) that battle side effects.

Whilst in remission Jon still would have been on various medications and would have been attending the oncology clinic at least once monthly (possibly weekly) for blood tests. These blood tests monitor things like red and white cell and platelet levels. Any artificial peptides would mess with these levels and show up in the blood tests.

Bottom line, Jon Mannah did not take part in whatever went on at the sharks and this story is disgraceful gutter journalism for suggesting that he did.

so what happens if you are taking a supplement that is legal at the time but then gets banned later on?
you can stop taking it immediately but there will still be traces of it in your system for weeks if not months to come

Last edited:

strider

Post Whore
so what happens if you are taking a supplement that is legal at the time but then gets banned later on?
you can stop taking it immediately but there will still be traces of it in your system for weeks if not months to come

my understanding is there are substances that are not on the banned list, but they are also not on the allowed list - i believe there is constantly new shit being made .... this i think is the grey area where dank claims he's safe, but asada say it's still not allowed