What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: ASADA and Drugs in NRL

Gronk

Staff member
These interviews stem from the phone taps. They first tapped the phone of the suppliers. Then they end up with the numbers of those who import and those who use.

So many players would not know how much dirt ASADA (via the Crime Commission) have on them.

Last night Paul Kent said on NRL360 that he has been told that the circus of a presser in Canberra was actually designed to be over the top and create "chatter". This is where the players and suppliers contact each other to reassure that all of the participants stick together cos they've got nothing. Little do they know that all their phones have been tapped for ages and they are only adding to the case against them.

Gronk

Staff member
Trent Elkin's name has been buzzing around in media reports on ASADA's investigation into drugs in sport, which relates to the time he spent with the Sharks in 2011 as their Head Strength and Conditioning Coach.
As a result, Elkin, who joined the Eels at the start of this season, has released the following statement.
“The last few weeks have been traumatic for my family and I and for many people at Cronulla. I am feeling very sad and distressed for the players and staff who are currently caught up in this.

"All I and they can hope for is a quick resolution to this matter for the sake of the individuals affected and the game as a whole.”
“On the advice of my legal team, I have provided ASADA officials with a statement as part of their investigation and gave an honest account of the period in question.
"I have never condoned the use of performance enhancing drugs and I have not ever knowingly worked with anyone who did.”
Furthermore, Trent Elkin refutes:
1. Reports that he was involved in a confrontation with Cronulla Sharks players at his home.

2. Claims he made repeated efforts to keep Cronulla team doctor David Givney away from Stephen Dank.

3. Suggestions he concealed information on the Sharks supplement program from Dr David Givney.

4. Allegations he told Dr David Givney to “piss off” during a conversation about Stephen Dank.

5. Claims he hid vials behind his back to avoid TV Cameras.

6. Claims he managed any administration of Warfarin or drugs otherwise used on horses.
http://www.triplem.com.au/sydney/sp...ronulla-sharks-following-asada-investigation/

Kornstar

Coach
Did you somehow miss all the stuff re Essendon? Obviously, the Sydney media are going to focus more on the NRL and, frankly, the benefits of these types of substances are going to be greater in games where physical power is king.

I have heard f*ck all about Essendon since they admitted there was an issue.

Darkest day in Australian sport. Pretty sure there are more sports than just NRL and AFL?

Had there been anything about A-League? Swimming? Athletics?

It was a sweeping statement that seems to only be affecting 2 codes out of a multitude of sports in played in Australia.

Anyways, whatever, we all have our own opinions I guess.

strider

Post Whore
have you watched a-league korny? do you really think they are on drugs? or just the type that make you roll around on the ground?

strider

Post Whore
I agree - League seems to be copping it way more than any other sport atm ..... AFL has gone pretty quiet .... i'm sure in melbourne they talk about it affecting them more than NRL, purely because they struggle to talk about anything other than AFL - but if you watch any national broadcasts it is nearly all NRL talk about this drugs stuff

but i was thinking perhaps it's a good thing - maybe they are going to try and sort out the NRL stuff first and at least then it will get done earlier in our season and not right at the end

Haynzy

First Grade
Hearing almost nothing about it in the media in Adelaide.
The only time I hear about it is when there is something relating to the NRL that somehow sneaks its way into the papers here.
People here are being fed the impression that the NRL is riddled with drug problems and that in the AFL it's minimal.

Gronk

Staff member
Hearing almost nothing about it in the media in Adelaide.
The only time I hear about it is when there is something relating to the NRL that somehow sneaks its way into the papers here.
People here are being fed the impression that the NRL is riddled with drug problems and that in the AFL it's minimal.

It would have been all quiet here too except that the Sharks decided to chop into their staff.

Gronk

Staff member
PENRITH recruit Tom Humble knows what it's like when ASADA comes knocking on your front door. During 2010, Humble - playing for Parramatta's feeder club Wentworthville - tested positive to a banned stimulant, methylhexaneamine, given to him by a club trainer. He served a 10-month suspension through 2011 before being cleared by the NSWRL anti-doping tribunal - but only now is the hurt starting to subside.
Back then, Humble revealed that he couldn't watch rugby league on television and feared his career might never resume.
"It was a tough period - there was a time there when I thought I mightn't play again," Humble said yesterday. "Every day now when it gets tough I think about that time and how hard it was.
"I appreciate rugby league every day. It definitely made my skin a bit thicker. At times people might take rugby league for granted but I don't do that anymore. As a kid it is all you think about, it's all you want to do (play NRL). I was worried too because I had nothing else behind me. I was panicking there for a while.
"There were times when it was hard to believe. Once the season started, it really set in that I wasn't playing anymore.
"Around rounds 15 or 16 my positive frame of mind definitely started to decline.
"It even got tough to watch the games, especially involving guys I had played with and against. They were playing first grade and living the dream and I was sitting at home thinking it might be done for me."
After an inconsistent stint at Wests Tigers last year, Humble is re-building his career and will play for Penrith against Souths this Sunday at Centrebet Stadium.
Although Humble knows Souths will be tough, he also knows nothing could be as devastating as a drugs ban.
"Had it been two years (suspension) out of the game, it would have been tough to come back to a good level of rugby league," Humble said.
"There was adversity I had to get through. It made me appreciate my opportunities more. At 21 you think you're going to play rugby league forever. It then hits you it might be over any day. Then you have to have a good think about where you are in life.
"It was definitely an accident on both counts - myself and the trainer's at the time.
"There were no bad intentions. That is why myself and (ex-teammate) Brendan Oake were found innocent in the end. There was no deliberate wrongdoing."
Asked about the current drama, Humble said: "There is a different story - I don't really want to comment on it because I'm not in their shoes.
"But they are in a tough situation. It's different to mine - it's a lot more publicised."
Panthers coach Ivan Cleary was taking little notice of the ASADA investigation.
"Right from the start I have been blissfully ignorant about it," Cleary said. "I don't want to comment."
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/n...-your-front-door/story-e6frfgbo-1226602830848

bartman

Immortal
PENRITH recruit Tom Humble knows what it's like when ASADA comes knocking on your front door. During 2010, Humble - playing for Parramatta's feeder club Wentworthville - tested positive to a banned stimulant, methylhexaneamine, given to him by a club trainer. He served a 10-month suspension through 2011 before being cleared by the NSWRL anti-doping tribunal - but only now is the hurt starting to subside.
Disgraceful. I hope heads rolled for that. But we wouldn't know because we were kept in the dark until now.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Disgraceful. I hope heads rolled for that. But we wouldn't know because we were kept in the dark until now.

I'm pretty sure the wenty trainer who gave it to him was sacked and although I can't find a link I thought I read about it..

Gronk

Staff member
I'm pretty sure the wenty trainer who gave it to him was sacked and although I can't find a link I thought I read about it..

I'm pretty sure it was swept under the carpet.

I recall Hindy being asked on TV about Humble and he just acted dumb and said "dunno mate".

Not sure about the trainer but I am sure that the whole process was less than transparent.

mickdo

Coach
More than likely there were legal implications in terms of broadcasting the goings on to all and sundry. It's my understanding the Wenty trainers were let go fairly quickly.