What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: ASADA and Drugs in NRL

Stagger eel

Staff member
Apparently, David Smith wasn't happy about the postponement, had a word to ASADA and the interviews will be beginning on Monday.

Suity

:lol:...they really should start in melbourne, it would blend in well with the Melbourne comedy festival.

strider

Post Whore
yeah they are going to want to have some meaningful result at the end of all this or they will come out of it as a body with no standing .... no doubt there will be a lot of finger pointing at the end

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Apparently, David Smith wasn't happy about the postponement, had a word to ASADA and the interviews will be beginning on Monday.

Suity

I think he actually went past the ASADA and called/met with the relevant senior politicians

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I totally understand why you take such measures Twiz...just in this particular circumstance the DT has left very little to imagination, having all but named names (really, really poor form but it is the DT).

I agree, but they have more legal resources than us

thats why we err on the side of caution

spiderdan

Bench
Yes but even though the clubs were named did they go as far as officially saying " the players recruited from manly / sharks in whatever timeframe " or is that outing just reserved for our guys ?
it's just crappy journalism. Wasn't that long ago that they did an article (think it was massoud) about some guy who was donating wads of cash to the sharks. In the original article it said he only wanted to be referred to by his first name, then a few sentences later they also referred to his last name.

It isn't just our club that gets this sort of crap it comes from an organization that seems to have very little integrity and pride in their quality.

bartman

Immortal
Yeah, all clubs cop it from crappy journalism from time to time.

No need to put on an tin foil hat and pretend Parra is hard done by here. It was obvious we had one player who was in the Sharks squad at the relevant time of Dank's involvement and would be called in for interview. And (obviously) we had two recruits who were with Manly while they employed Dank - and one of them must be a real cleanskin I guess?

Stagger eel

Staff member
Yeah, all clubs cop it from crappy journalism from time to time.

No need to put on an tin foil hat and pretend Parra is hard done by here. It was obvious we had one player who was in the Sharks squad at the relevant time of Dank's involvement and would be called in for interview. And (obviously) we had two recruits who were with Manly while they employed Dank - and one of them must be a real cleanskin I guess?

Yes, I don't think anyone is disputing that at all...

bartman

Immortal
Wow, that front page :(

http://resources0.news.com.au/images/2013/04/25/1226629/638224-page-1-26-4-13.jpg

Having read the article, it is reporting extracts from a 60 page independent report into what went on at Cronulla - the 60 page report itself brings up Mannah, and the Sharks CEO is quoted as saying the report has been handed over to ASADA and the NRL (and likely the police). So sad as the possibility raised might be, I don't think the paper can be blamed for reporting on the news, or the content in the report?

natheel

Coach
So no one has seen the report and ASADA are unable to talk of players names who were administered the drug yet this very sensitive information has just happened to 'leak' out? Absolute bullshit. Release the rest of the players names its clear they know who the players are!

bartman

Immortal
As for player names, back when the Sharks were named as a club I did a google search on their squad from 2011, and identified all of the identities of the number of players they said they were after (I think it was 14 current Sharks, 8 at other clubs, and 3 that had retired?). They then added on some numbers to the total once they said they were looking at individual players that had been at Manly while Dank was there... so there aren't really any surprises, not even with the two current Eels players. We really don't need them to name the names, but I'm pretty sure they will name players after the interviews if any of them are going to face changes.

Interesting statement in the article that the delay in ASADA interviewing Shark players this week was due to the unexpected content of this independent report about what actually went on there. If ASADA can go on to prove what the 60-page report and this article allege about the drugs used and their potential effects for someone with a condition like Jon Mannah's :(, this is very big news....

Wally21

Bench
Having read the article online, I don't see how anyone can defend this disgraceful media organization for their gutter journalism. Their "facts" are 1+1=4654. Absolute disgrace. I personally haven't spent a cent on any News Limited product since they did their best to completely destroy our game in April 1995. Begrudgingly paying for subscription TV because I have no local alternative. They are bottom feeders and have proven that time and time again.