What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Association Football

84 Baby

Referee
Watching sport like the FFA Cup tonight reminds me of what sport was like as a kid.
Fox's major game tonight was Apia Leichhardt vs the reigning A-league champions Melbourne Victory - at Leichhardt Oval.
It took me back to the old Amco Cup days in RL. Or otherwise named The Tooths Cup and The KB Cup, AND I think there was another name as well. Back in the day when NSWRL teams played against country teams and teams from Qld.

Anyway, tonight, in front of 2600 odd people (about the size crowd the old Amco Cup got), Apia are leading 2-0 at HT. Melbourne reply with two goals early in the 2nd half. Apia score near the end and hold on to win 3-2. 2550 people go mental. 50 people head back to Sydney AP for their return flight home.
Dressing room scenes are amazing for Apia. They've just knocked off the champions of the A-League and are into the round of 16. This is after they played 120 minutes last Saturday in an NPL semi final, and these guys are mostly semi-professionals with day jobs. Probably the biggest upset in the FFA Cup's short history.
Even ESFC struggled against Cairns, winning just 2-1 away.

Then, there were other teams from NPL playing each other providing some pretty impressive goals.

This truly is the best competition in the country. More than 700 teams competed from the beginning, and now we are almost down to the final 8.

Tonight took me back to the night when Western Division beat Penrith in the original Amco Cup.
There's just something special about mid-week comps that involve more teams.
100% agree. I like FFA Cup more than A-League. Bonnyrigg v Wanderers next week could have a capacity crowd

TheParraboy

Staff member
Do we think Bolt will make a good fist of this?

Looks quite lanky and cumbersome from what I have seen

Suitman

Post Whore
Do we think Bolt will make a good fist of this?

Looks quite lanky and cumbersome from what I have seen

Cumbersome? The worlds fastest man?
Have no idea how he will go. If he's good enough, he might make it, but there's a hell of a lot more to football than meets the eye.

This whole thing is a bit of a circus, but one thing is for sure. It is bringing the Mariners a shed load of publicity. Bolt's appearance tonight will make sports bulletins all around the world.

Eelementary

Post Whore
He is a world-class athlete, but as Mr. Suity said - there's more to football than just being quick.

He loves football, so I think he will make a fist of it.

Suitman

Post Whore
I hope has enough skill to shut up the haters.

I don't care about the haters tbh. They can hate as much as they like.
All I want to see is, that if he proves himself, he makes it. If he doesn't prove himself, then he's not worthy of a spot on the roster and off he goes into the sunset.
I too, hope he proves us all wrong, but there is something about this whole episode that screams opportunism, rather than a genuine play for a great player.

Gronk

Staff member
with the ball at his feet, compared to the other players (from the small snipets I have seen)

How did he go?

He looked like an out of breath merkin in a Fathers vs Kids picnic match. He was gassed and off the pace. No idea if he can play. We’ll see when builds his endurance base.

Gronk

Staff member
So whilst the Mariners are playing a trial against WSW ...

Usain is f**king about in France. Is he not really serious ?

Latest posts