What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Association Football

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I'm less interested this year. That must account for a couple of percentage points.

I'm sick of seeing the same teams being strong every year. May be A-League watchers feel the same?

If you're going to have a salary cap and limit your effectiveness against the other Asian clubs you should at least have an even competition.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
its not an even playing field any more. Last season the Mariners were literally forced to loan our best player to Bling FC, they couldn't afford to buy him but FA changed the rules to allow the loan to go through 1 day or so before the deadline.

The reason given was he (de Silva) wanted exposure in Europe and FA enabled it.. The Mariners will just drift away into oblivion as they do not have the cash to compete with the all capital city teams

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer...va-on-loan-from-mariners-20180725-p4ztgc.html

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yeah I thought that was a shit look for the A-League. He’s not even a starter for Sydney. He would get more footy at the Mariners and they would be a better team for it.

Though it’s dumb to have a team on the Central Coast when there’s a team in Newcastle and three in Sydney.

Suitman

Post Whore
Yeah I thought that was a shit look for the A-League. He’s not even a starter for Sydney. He would get more footy at the Mariners and they would be a better team for it.

Though it’s dumb to have a team on the Central Coast when there’s a team in Newcastle and three in Sydney.

I'm not quite sure I agree with that.
The Mariners were hugely successful when they spent money and had a decent coach. Great team, great support and really decent player development (Matt Ryan, Trent Sainsbury, Tom Rogic - just to name a few)
Unfortunately, it appears that the owner has lost interest and is playing tight arse.
There is so much potential there, and they have a great academy and facilities.
It's a real shame that they have let it slide to this.
Even that f**king annoying brass band that used to wander around the stadium playing 50's/60's folk songs has deserted them. Lol.

Suitman

Post Whore
They just said on the Offsiders that ratings for A-League is down 28% from last year.

Yes, I saw that as well. I've been dubious about those figures, and last year's figures as well. They may well be true, and explain the indifference that A-League fans have towards the comp at the moment. But then, maybe not.
That quote came from that Geraldine chick who is a rugby fanatic and knows nothing about football, nor does she care. She is on the show to talk up Rugby, and knows little about any other sport.
She also failed to mention that the Super Rugby thingy ratings have also been in free fall. It didn't stop her from trying to stick a knife into a competitor.

Gronk

Staff member
Yes, I saw that as well. I've been dubious about those figures, and last year's figures as well. They may well be true, and explain the indifference that A-League fans have towards the comp at the moment. But then, maybe not.
That quote came from that Geraldine chick who is a rugby fanatic and knows nothing about football, nor does she care. She is on the show to talk up Rugby, and knows little about any other sport.
She also failed to mention that the Super Rugby thingy ratings have also been in free fall. It didn't stop her from trying to stick a knife into a competitor.

TBH I thought about the quote afterwards (which I have no reason to doubt it’s credibility) and think that it may very well stem from Foxtel’s drop in subscribers just as much as a drop in the popularity.

Suitman

Post Whore
TBH I thought about the quote afterwards (which I have no reason to doubt it’s credibility) and think that it may very well stem from Foxtel’s drop in subscribers just as much as a drop in the popularity.

Yep, could be right. I'm not sure if Kayo is included in ratings?

Suitman

Post Whore
Victory dominating Sanfrecce yet are down 1 - 0.
It's still unbelievable and incredible that the Wanderers were able to become the champions of Asia. No other A-League team has come close, except Adelaide who were exposed badly at the end.
Better teams with far better playing rosters from the A-League than the Wanderers did haven't even been able to get past the group stage.
I wonder why?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
With such infrequent scoring, luck plays a big part in any soccer match. Add to that a knockout-type competition (after the group stage, obviously) and it’s a recipe for upsets.

The best players in the other Asian clubs also seem to be better than the best A-League players, and since they’re all forwards they seem to be better at jagging the ‘lucky’ goal against the run of play.

Suitman

Post Whore
With such infrequent scoring, luck plays a big part in any soccer match. Add to that a knockout-type competition (after the group stage, obviously) and it’s a recipe for upsets.

The best players in the other Asian clubs also seem to be better than the best A-League players, and since they’re all forwards they seem to be better at jagging the ‘lucky’ goal against the run of play.

Melbourne score and then Sanfrecce score again. A-League clubs just don't seem to be able to cut it.
Yet, somehow, the Wanderers did, against the biggest and best clubs in Asia. And, the Wanderers had a pretty shite roster. Was it all Popovic?
Just have a look at some of the players the Wanderers put on the pitch in those games. Lucky to get a start in the A-League, let alone the ACL.

I bleed blue & gold

First Grade
Melbourne score and then Sanfrecce score again. A-League clubs just don't seem to be able to cut it.
Yet, somehow, the Wanderers did, against the biggest and best clubs in Asia. And, the Wanderers had a pretty shite roster. Was it all Popovic?
Just have a look at some of the players the Wanderers put on the pitch in those games. Lucky to get a start in the A-League, let alone the ACL.
Sometimes you just get a squad that clicks. Everything seems to work. Hard to work out sometimes. They were just unstoppable.