What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Brand Dilution

Frenzy.

Immortal
Congratulations NRL. I think I have finally seen a skill set you excel at.

Has there ever been a sporting organisation that has the ability to dilute their own brand as the NRL?

Has there ever been a sporting governing body that can so expertly alienate the fans and supporters?

Diminish their own credibility?

Hand the balance of power to an opposition code?

Kowtow to the media?

To subligate themselves from their own goals?

I am disgusted at last night’s outcome. I am disgusted they got railroaded by some silk who presented more holes, in the very defence he was running, in large part due to the fact the the NRL couldn’t even get itself organised enough to ensure it had a competent prosecutor available to pick those holes to pieces. How does that happen in grand final week?

Phuqing boy’s club.

The game is terminally ill. My waning interest copped another dilution last night. It has become so hard to take anything NRL seriously.

Couldn’t agree more.

I’m not cranky that billy the qlder gets to play another GF and probably go out a winner. It could have been anyone but the fact the nrl let it play out just like that is embarrassing for the code.

People want to be proud of the things they follow or are interested in. When people ask me about the footy now I talk it down so they don’t know how emotionally vested I am in it. It’s embarrassing for me as a fan to be associated with it.

I’m definitely disconnecting fox next year and will watch the sharks games on tablet.

King Ben

Juniors
It was quite funny watching NRL 360 last night (not just to see them pad for time as they promised to stay on air until the decision) - the whole panel agreed that it was a shoulder charge that according to the rules warrants suspension. Lots of people asking why he wasn't sin binned as well. When you've even got that panel offside you know it's not ideal.

MilkShark

First Grade
I’ve only watched the sharks games for years now, sometimes I struggle to even watch those.

I rarely agree with you about anything Frenzy but in this case we are the same.

In the last 3 years I have become closer and closer to the club, the broadcasters and the administrators by building my profile.

What I have seen is twofold. The way the game is run is deplorable and considering the way the Sharks have been run it is a MIRACLE that we ever won a comp.

Handing the game over to TV, holus bolus, with no caveats on the deal; meant that the broadcasters now run the show and the NRL executive exist to service their needs- not the needs of the clubs, players or fans or even sponsors. The broadcasters care about one thing; advertising income. To achieve the national ad deals they need to justify this investment a strong Brisbane and Melbourne are in their direct interest. So anything that can be done to improve these clubs fortunes are good for Fox and 9. News corp (the daily tele and courier mail) owns Fox. 9 now owns Fairfax. All of the pundits within these organisation and the executive at the NRL know that their jobs hinge on an NRL that can achieve national advertising revenue and the Broncos and Storm being strong are top of that agenda. It's not a conspiracy, it's a fact and I have seen it first hand. I personally have been effectively frozen out of the Sharks hierarchy for criticising Fox.

All the while the AFL laugh at us. They didn't hand the keys to the farm with their broadcast deals, and they long ago expanded their comp to rule out single city domination. They have grown their shit game into a truly national behemoth when 20 years ago they were a Victorian joke.

If I didn't have significant opportunity cost in what I have built up for myself with radio and commentating, I would walk away and I don't say that as an idle threat. I would happily walk away and do something far more interesting with my life.

Last edited:

snout

First Grade
Im done for the year.

I wont watch the GF.
Will be the first lve missed.

But it would be beneath me to watch this embarrassment.

But gawd l wish l could write the script for the game. Napa puts a shoulder charge on slater, to the extent the game's not seen before.

Billy - they just put the pieces on the medicab while napa gets off at the judiciary on the Slater precedent.

Eion

First Grade
Yep, I keep bagging toddles and he is a dud. But until there is a fundamental change of direction at arl commission board level, this will continue.

It will take a bloody couple of years to wrestle ownership off the media interests and Beattie is absolutely not the man to stand up to them....or even understand there is an issue.

Quigs

Immortal
What the hell are you going on about Eion? Don't you know now that the great game is all geographical and everything is honky dory. Beattie did mention that the Cronulla Dolphins will be fine. It is onwards and upwards from here on in with Toddy steering the ship.

The game has never been in better shape, what with the fair and even salary cap and the ongoing unbiased support of the Media especially including the TV moguls.

The fans are flocking back to the game in droves. Always remember this is our game and our house.

shadowboxer

First Grade
It was quite funny watching NRL 360 last night (not just to see them pad for time as they promised to stay on air until the decision) - the whole panel agreed that it was a shoulder charge that according to the rules warrants suspension. Lots of people asking why he wasn't sin binned as well. When you've even got that panel offside you know it's not ideal.
Get rid of FOX

shadowboxer

First Grade
Now I know why Sam cringes everytime it’s brought up on the cast lol
He can cringe all he wants but it’s true. Won’t be long and NRL will be a thing on Netflix. You never know Disney might just buy it and PG the hell out of it
AFL has it all over NRL sad to say and for me it’ll be the only game I’ll watch this weekend..
Shame about the Jets - still burning

Won’t be watching the GF and I hope others do in protest.

If you want to hurt the NRL do not watch the GF.

The GF ratings are crucial for the NRL’s justification for the TV money they are paid.

Hopefully a lot of people in general will look at the two teams playing and say farked if I’ll be watching those two teams play.

Pilot house

Juniors
If Disney buys the nrl, the players could play wearing Mickey Mouse Ear hats and dumbo trunks.

The half time entertainment could be rugby league.

Some junior road rage about me atm, the wretched horn-off. Mmmm..Need Billy to settle them down I’d say.

Frenzy.

Immortal
I rarely agree with you about anything Frenzy but in this case we are the same.

In the last 3 years I have become closer and closer to the club, the broadcasters and the administrators by building my profile.

What I have seen is twofold. The way the game is run is deplorable and considering the way the Sharks have been run it is a MIRACLE that we ever won a comp.

Handing the game over to TV, holus bolus, with no caveats on the deal; meant that the broadcasters now run the show and the NRL executive exist to service their needs- not the needs of the clubs, players or fans or even sponsors. The broadcasters care about one thing; advertising income. To achieve the national ad deals they need to justify this investment a strong Brisbane and Melbourne are in their direct interest. So anything that can be done to improve these clubs fortunes are good for Fox and 9. News corp (the daily tele and courier mail) owns Fox. 9 now owns Fairfax. All of the pundits within these organisation and the executive at the NRL know that their jobs hinge on an NRL that can achieve national advertising revenue and the Broncos and Storm being strong are top of that agenda. It's not a conspiracy, it's a fact and I have seen it first hand. I personally have been effectively frozen out of the Sharks hierarchy for criticising Fox.

All the while the AFL laugh at us. They didn't hand the keys to the farm with their broadcast deals, and they long ago expanded their comp to rule out single city domination. They have grown their shit game into a truly national behemoth when 20 years ago they were a Victorian joke.

If I didn't have significant opportunity cost in what I have built up for myself with radio and commentating, I would walk away and I don't say that as an idle threat. I would happily walk away and do something far more interesting with my life.

This, is what is so irksome. It is so grossly overt and insults the intelligence of everyone who has ever collected a footy card, laced on a boot, played and/or watched the game, knitted a beanie, asked for an autograph or stood in a tunnel and slapped a players back.

The salt has been leeched form the earth, there’s little foundation left.

Frenzy.

Immortal
Now, as a final slap in the face, turn on Dally Ms as my last thing to view before bailing on FOX and who is first on stage to present first? Bilby phuquing Slater!

I need ondansetron

Stake Removed

First Grade
The game is dying, if you are a fan and over 40 and male you are a dinosaur. Speak to people even over 70 and they have lost interest more and more an example how Slater greatest fullback ever, they dont know who Churchill is he does not come into the equation.

The game as Frank said is driven for the TV only, they do care about one fan the female audience particular mums, they make sure the have the game to appeal so mums will lets kids play, but guess what it dosent work, for ever real fan they drive off the dont get new fans.

They have killed a great game, soon the NRL will be on par with Australian Rugby and the AFL will be laughing.

The AFL dont even need to fight the NRL just look at both womens comps as an example my god chalk and cheese

glenmoresharkie

First Grade
Well unfortunately by selling the game off we’ve given the vampires the keys to the blood bank.

Who knows how much they’re going to take away.

Card Shark

Immortal
Did I hear right that Slater’s lawyer argued that it was partly Feki’s fault because he held the ball in his left arm?

If this is true, the suspension should have immediately stood.