What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Cricket World Cup 2019

Blair

Coach
It's been a dream of mine for NZ to win it.

The Windies were on fire in '75 & '79, so we probably wouldn't have won the final if we'd made it that far. As it was, we reached the semis, and could've/should've won both.

'83 we had our best ever team, but bombed out in the group stages after a shock loss to Sri Lanka, who were then newly test-playing 'minnows', who we'd dominated that previous summer at home. They were always talented though.

'87, it seemed we'd lost our way in the ODI game. Hadlee sat that one out too.

'92 is legendary. But the Pakistanis ended our dream at Eden Park, with captain Martin Crowe watching from the sidelines.

My memory fades a bit from here until '15, another great performance and a semi-final win at Eden Park over SA that goes down as one of our finest wins in any form of the game.

We won last night!

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
99 lost semi to the Pakis, and 2007 and 2011 lost semis to the Lankans

2003 probably would have been another semi opportunity but we along with some other teams forfeited our games in Kenya so Kenya made the semis

2015 was amazing. I’ve never seen a guy turn public opinion in NZ like McCullum did, he was ridiculously ridiculed for years then turned into the messiah

Blair

Coach
99 lost semi to the Pakis, and 2007 and 2011 lost semis to the Lankans

2003 probably would have been another semi opportunity but we along with some other teams forfeited our games in Kenya so Kenya made the semis

2015 was amazing. I’ve never seen a guy turn public opinion in NZ like McCullum did, he was ridiculously ridiculed for years then turned into the messiah

Thanks Beave. I recall '96 a bit now too. Chris Harris got 130, and we seemed to be piling on the runs in the knockout stages v Australia but we didn't quite kick-on with our big-hitters like Chris Cairns (how often did he disappoint in the big moments?) They overrun us, but were upset in the final by Sri Lanka.

I do know (without research) that the West Indies, India (with a dramatic upset of the mighty Windies in '83), Australia (since '87), Sri Lanka and Pakistan have all won it.

That leaves us and England as the only established nations not to.

"This is the moment!"

Diesel

Referee
Similar conditions in England compared to NZ so I give us a really good chance to win.

How f**king green was the wicket in Cardiff?!!!

Blair

Coach
2003 was the first WC we played in black.

'75-'87 it was traditional white.
'92 & '96 it was silver/grey.
'99 it was 'teal'.
Then it was all black!

Smashed em last night.
Times are terrible for viewing live games.
Aussie couldn't put Afganistan to bed when in a similar position we had Sri Lanka.

I don't watch cricket enough, but it looks like we have more than 1 genuine fast bowler in the side for the first time ever.

Blair

Coach
I mentioned "This Is The Moment" in a prior post, but I now recall that being the theme song for the 1990 Commonwealth Games in Auckland.

The song I was thinking of was "Who'll Rule The World?", which was the theme song for the '92 CWC in Australia and NZ.

Amazing nostalgia!

Blair

Coach
Smashed em last night.
Times are terrible for viewing live games...

I do shiftwork, so I'm hopeful of watching at least the start of a few games.

I'll turn the TV on in the morning too, if it's a big game. But Channel Nine won't show many NZ games, will they?

Meth

Staff member
South Africa now 0-2, losing to England and now Bangladesh. They really don’t perform well in these world cups

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
India are my pick to win it, most well balanced team there with superstars all over the place. Bumrah is amazing and these conditions will suit him perfectly

TheDMC

Bench
Unfortunately belter wickets will be the norm for most matches, which makes it a flat track bully tournament ideally suited for England, not us. But we looked great against Sri Lanka...fingers crossed. Love this format of playing every team rather than pools, same as in 1992

Campion

Juniors
Unfortunately belter wickets will be the norm for most matches, which makes it a flat track bully tournament ideally suited for England, not us. But we looked great against Sri Lanka...fingers crossed. Love this format of playing every team rather than pools, same as in 1992

I agree with this -- flat track bully will be suited to England with the likes of Buttler and co. The one saving grace I guess is that a lot of these games are in the morning and it's cloudy the next few weeks, so if we can bowl first we may get swing. Also, this format is GREAT - -much more compelling. I know it's not a popular view but I'm kinda glad we don't have a big 15-16 team world cup with lots of uncompetitive teams.

Also on the flat-track bully thing, I don't rate Neesham and De Grandhomme as consistent and/or skilled enough to take advantage in the same way Buttler and co do. If Munro fires then we may have a chance tho.

Meth

Staff member
Massive win. That’ll deflate the expectations of the English

TheDMC

Bench
Also on the flat-track bully thing, I don't rate Neesham and De Grandhomme as consistent and/or skilled enough to take advantage in the same way Buttler and co do. If Munro fires then we may have a chance tho.

Yep, way too inconsistent the lot of them.

Scott

Bench
Love this WC. All my viewing hours are taken up by this. I'm lucky enough to be heading over there for the NZ v Pak game at Edgbaston, followed by the NZ v Aus game at Lords. Then after the Lords game is the MLB at London Stadium, Yankees v Red Sox. Fizzing.

I suspect net run rate will play a major role in determining semi finalists. Off to a good start so far & need to maintain it.

Bangladesh game tonight concerns me. They are a very good side these days & perform at the ICC events.

Blair

Coach
Love this WC. All my viewing hours are taken up by this. I'm lucky enough to be heading over there for the NZ v Pak game at Edgbaston, followed by the NZ v Aus game at Lords. Then after the Lords game is the MLB at London Stadium, Yankees v Red Sox. Fizzing.

I suspect net run rate will play a major role in determining semi finalists. Off to a good start so far & need to maintain it.

Bangladesh game tonight concerns me. They are a very good side these days & perform at the ICC events.

Huge Pakistani support in Birmingham, it'll be a great atmosphere. Of course, London is full of Aussies and Kiwis, so another good atmosphere ahead at Lords too.

In Sydney Channel Nine is supposed to be showing games but, as yet, I haven't seen one.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
India showing their class, best balanced attack by a country mile and they are dismantling South Africa at the moment