What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Current Affairs and Politics

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
There is certainly merit in that, similar to the possibility of republican constituents following the lead of their President in downplaying COVID-19 and not taking it as seriously as perhaps they should.
Whose place is it to say how seriously anyone 'should' treat it?

Gronk

Staff member
You're assuming everyone agrees that getting a virus with a 97% survival rate is the worst thing that can happen to you. Being happy requires accepting some risk, not living in fear.

Nice mortality stat pulled discretely out your arse. Fat US f**kers say hi.

D26CCC17-B192-45E3-998B-0F8EE44B95DF.jpeg

Also I think that you need to provide some evidence that there is a significant cohort who are consciously giving no f**ks about getting the covid; viz the “it’s just the flu” brigade. I would have thought that they are more complacent or even detached from the reality of getting the covid.

Last edited:
You're assuming everyone agrees that getting a virus with a 97% survival rate is the worst thing that can happen to you. Being happy requires accepting some risk, not living in fear.
99.43% in the US. Obviously this will continue to improve as they're not killing people with ventilators anymore. Or sending the infected into care homes.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Nice mortality stat pulled discretely out your arse. Fat US f**kers say hi.
Three percent of Americans with the disease have died. I found that number on the internet. If you've got a more reliable number let's see it.

Also I think that you need to provide some evidence that there is a significant cohort who are consciously giving no f**ks about getting the covid; viz the “it’s just the flu” brigade. I would have thought that they are more complacent or even detached from the reality of getting the covid.
If it's as deadly as you claim we should see some people changing their tune pretty quickly then.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Considering people’s actions impacts others when it comes to this virus, I’d say it’s everyone’s place.
People's actions have always impacted others. What about those of us who haven't lost a single cent and had a great time stuck at home on the internet with no kids missing out on social development. It's pretty easy to support society/economy-crippling lockdowns with no skin in the game. Personally I'd rather take my chances with Covid than lose everything I own and be saddled with lifelong depression.

Happy MEel

First Grade
People's actions have always impacted others. What about those of us who haven't lost a single cent and had a great time stuck at home on the internet with no kids missing out on social development. It's pretty easy to support society/economy-crippling lockdowns with no skin in the game. Personally I'd rather take my chances with Covid than lose everything I own and be saddled with lifelong depression.
You’ve provided one section of society as your argument. What about those that have lost loved ones to this virus? Can they have an opinion?

Happy MEel

First Grade
Sure they can. Everyone dies. Not everyone lives in poverty and isolation.
lol. I’m glad you’re not in charge of our public health system.

By your way of thinking, the same people who are socially disadvantaged have the moral high ground until they die...

Stick to your defence force analysis.

Happy MEel

First Grade
He wasn't (originally) talking about anyone. He was (originally) talking about elected officials and voters.

I reckon voters have every right to pass judgement on whether politicians are taking it seriously enough.
Yep, and I’m talking from a public health perspective.

There are plenty of examples of where governments have decided how public health issues should be treated which have benefited population health overall. Why is this any different?

Tobacco control is the obvious example, but what about seat belts, or RBTs? Should Government not have stepped in and decided how we should “treat it”?

Last edited: