What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Current Affairs and Politics

Suitman

Post Whore
Nope. I literally got my name crossed off and shoved my incomplete voting sheet in to the slot. Didn't endorse or condemn anyone....

I had no idea who anyone was on the ballot paper.
I don't like wasting my vote so I voted for the best looking chick for Mayor, and one party of the two that was possible for councilors. The one I didn't vote for were the greens because they are so anti-development.

Also, voting was a pain in the arse.
I'm Hills Shire Council. I live in Castle Hill.
I was working in Glenorie yesterday, so thought I would call into the local public school on the way home. Very small polling booth, with none of those campaigners outside hassling people to take how to vote cards. Perfect I thought.
Well, NUP!

With federal and state elections, you can basically vote from anywhere. Absentee.
Not so for Local Council elections. You MUST vote within you Local Council electorate.
Ok, that's fine I thought, so I attempted to do that.
However, it gets worse.
Apparently, you can't even vote outside your own Ward within your local council area. I rocked up at Glenorie, and my name wasn't in the book at that polling station, even though there was dozens of pages and thousand's of names in the book. I was sent to another desk, where the dear old fella had to look up on his tablet to check to see where I could vote. My name came up on his check for Hills Shire , yet, I could only vote in my ward. I wasn't even aware that councils have wards, although I was aware of the term.
Anyway, the local public school is two streets away from home and I pass it to get home.
Wasn't a big deal in the end, but geez they make it hard for people to vote.
So stupid.
I'm guessing there will be a heap of fines going out to people for not voting due to this.

It was however, great to see 100% mask compliance at the very busy polling booth that I eventually voted at.

Gronk

Staff member
So, did anyone yesterday even have a clue who they were voting for in the Local Govt elections?
Yes, because I’m involved a neighbourhood thing where we meet n have a bitch about stuff. Nah jokes, we get the heads up on developments, council and centennial parklands usually come and we all have a chat. Everyone is nice except for a certain…
Jewish 🥸
… school, who seem to think that they can do what they f**king like. </rant>

I also vote in Sydney City Council and I see that Clover got in again.

I was driving through Coogee an hour ago and I see that Russell Fairfax ran as an independent.

Gronk

Staff member
I had no idea who anyone was on the ballot paper.
I don't like wasting my vote so I voted for the best looking chick for Mayor, and one party of the two that was possible for councilors. The one I didn't vote for were the greens because they are so anti-development.

Also, voting was a pain in the arse.
I'm Hills Shire Council. I live in Castle Hill.
I was working in Glenorie yesterday, so thought I would call into the local public school on the way home. Very small polling booth, with none of those campaigners outside hassling people to take how to vote cards. Perfect I thought.
Well, NUP!

With federal and state elections, you can basically vote from anywhere. Absentee.
Not so for Local Council elections. You MUST vote within you Local Council electorate.
Ok, that's fine I thought, so I attempted to do that.
However, it gets worse.
Apparently, you can't even vote outside your own Ward within your local council area. I rocked up at Glenorie, and my name wasn't in the book at that polling station, even though there was dozens of pages and thousand's of names in the book. I was sent to another desk, where the dear old fella had to look up on his tablet to check to see where I could vote. My name came up on his check for Hills Shire , yet, I could only vote in my ward. I wasn't even aware that councils have wards, although I was aware of the term.
Anyway, the local public school is two streets away from home and I pass it to get home.
Wasn't a big deal in the end, but geez they make it hard for people to vote.
So stupid.
I'm guessing there will be a heap of fines going out to people for not voting due to this.

It was however, great to see 100% mask compliance at the very busy polling booth that I eventually voted at.
I voted by postal vote a few weeks ago.

Gronk

Staff member
I know that the Murdoch trolls have been going after the South Sudanese for a while, but this is extraordinary.

Bandwagon

Staff member
So, did anyone yesterday even have a clue who they were voting for in the Local Govt elections?

Yeah, I voted below the line for folks I know enough to know they're decent people.

That's the advantage of being in a regional community, being smaller people are seemingly more aware and engaged on local issues. Labor and the Greens both run tickets, Nats and Libs didn't, but independents get a good run here, and will dominate council.

Happy MEel

First Grade
Did anyone else vote online using ivote? A bit fiddly setting up the account but once that was done it was a breeze. The total process took around 5 minutes, all in the comfort of the living room.
Not sure why it wasn’t publicised more broadly, I guess they wanted a soft launch in case it went tits up.

Gronk

Staff member
Did anyone else vote online using ivote? A bit fiddly setting up the account but once that was done it was a breeze. The total process took around 5 minutes, all in the comfort of the living room.
Not sure why it wasn’t publicised more broadly, I guess they wanted a soft launch in case it went tits up.
Hmm I didn't know about it. IIRC I voted in the state election online.

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
BTW re the council elections, I thought no merkin was supposed to be campaigning within 100m of the booth. I still got harassed going in.

strider

Post Whore
I looked at it but it seemed you have to have a "reason" to do it online - eg deaf, blind, etc

I ended up a last minute postal application .... which has to be sent back (received) by 17th. But had to be filled in by close of polling - lol, who the f**k would know? - who the f**k cares anyway - unless you actually have some involvement, all you know of these people is their blurb they put in your letterbox - is it true?

I did a little reading - found some people that seemed to be for stuff I think matters - but do I really know they can/will back that up? .... I suppose you could say the same for any election local/state/federal

I actually think its a bit shit that political partying is getting into local govt - people using it to score votes ..... like parties and factions hasn't already made a f**king mess of state and federal - people just toing the line to keep their spot in power ..... local needs to remain relevant to local issues.

84 Baby

Referee
One would’ve been expected after Mehajer being so publicly exposed that the traditional local council nomination reasons would’ve been quieted a bit, but apparently all the nominee platforms were quieted.
Did anyone have any idea what anyone on their ballot was actually campaigning for? I know lockdowns probably affected campaigning but other than the Greens rumbling a bit about parklands (my council is already massively invested in parklands) I had no idea who or what anyone stood for.

Happy MEel

First Grade
I looked at it but it seemed you have to have a "reason" to do it online - eg deaf, blind, etc

I ended up a last minute postal application .... which has to be sent back (received) by 17th. But had to be filled in by close of polling - lol, who the f**k would know? - who the f**k cares anyway - unless you actually have some involvement, all you know of these people is their blurb they put in your letterbox - is it true?

I did a little reading - found some people that seemed to be for stuff I think matters - but do I really know they can/will back that up? .... I suppose you could say the same for any election local/state/federal

I actually think its a bit shit that political partying is getting into local govt - people using it to score votes ..... like parties and factions hasn't already made a f**king mess of state and federal - people just toing the line to keep their spot in power ..... local needs to remain relevant to local issues.
Those reasons included “I will be away on Election Day”. It was a checkbox option.

Bandwagon

Staff member

As far as the majors go, it's a genuine opportunity as an apprenticeship for higher office.

I think I'd rather our state and federal pollies coming through council rather than just getting a law degree and grifting their way through the party machine.

Bandwagon

Staff member
Regardless of personal opinion around whether or not Gladys has acted improperly here, and whether or not the ICAC is right to investigate, probity demands that those in a position of power respect the process and allow it to run it's course.

It's beyond improper for the PM to denigrate and misrepresent these proceedings in the manner he has whilst they are in progress. That is not to say that the ICAC should be beyond any criticism or scrutiny, but it is to say that should be reserved until the outcome is known, particularly by those that are our lawmakers.

84 Baby

Referee
Regardless of personal opinion around whether or not Gladys has acted improperly here, and whether or not the ICAC is right to investigate, probity demands that those in a position of power respect the process and allow it to run it's course.

It's beyond improper for the PM to denigrate and misrepresent these proceedings in the manner he has whilst they are in progress. That is not to say that the ICAC should be beyond any criticism or scrutiny, but it is to say that should be reserved until the outcome is known, particularly by those that are our lawmakers.
I didn’t think he was having a crack at ICAC. Should the due process include factionally aligned media opinionated editorials?

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I can't help but think ScoMo is trying to influence ICAC by building up Gladys, seems to be his MO.

Latest posts