What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Current Affairs and Politics

Bandwagon

Staff member
I didn’t think he was having a crack at ICAC. Should the due process include factionally aligned media opinionated editorials?

He most definitely was, and has been having a crack at ICAC.

As for the press, given they've done little more than propagate the same "doe eyed bitch in love done nothing wrong" for the most part, I can't see why he'd be having a go at them.

Here are some quotes from Scotty to parliament, if he isn't having a go at the ICAC there, I'm the king of Botswana

84 Baby

Referee
He most definitely was, and has been having a crack at ICAC.

As for the press, given they've done little more than propagate the same "doe eyed bitch in love done nothing wrong" for the most part, I can't see why he'd be having a go at them.

Here are some quotes from Scotty to parliament, if he isn't having a go at the ICAC there, I'm the king of Botswana

Sorry I thought you meant KRuddy was having a crack. Yes Scomo is definitely trying to influence ICAC

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
KRudd needs to let it go. He had no problems with the Murdoch press when he courted him in during his PM campaign to help him topple Howard.

He also got a pretty fair run for a long time after that.

Bandwagon

Staff member
KRudd needs to let it go. He had no problems with the Murdoch press when he courted him in during his PM campaign to help him topple Howard.

I think it's true Murdoch backed in KRudd over Little Johhny Arfurs, but I also think he turned on him pretty quickly after. But that's hardly the point.

That Krudd likely benefitted from his support, and accepted that benefit, doesn't change the idea that Murdoch is a cancer on our democracy ( not just ours of course ) and that his influence and interference should be brought in to question.

So just because Krudd was a willing partner 14 odd years ago, why should that disqualify him now from what many think is a legitimate campaign. Sure, we could all yell hypocrite, but that doesn't change the legitimacy of the complaints against Murdoch's organisation.

Gronk

Staff member

I think that his backing of the Royal Commission into Murdoch something something is partly about his sour grapes and mostly about our media laws which obviously allow a media magnate to “take sides” and fully determine an election outcome. He and Turnbull are funding it and have a very smart lady, Sally Rugg, as CEO.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Complete sour grapes from both of them. Go and get a f**ken hobby FFS.

They’d have no problems with the current breakdown of media if the Murdoch press hadn’t said bad things about them.

I can accept a view that the balance is wrong, but not from those pair who are clearly still seething.

Bandwagon

Staff member
Complete sour grapes from both of them. Go and get a f**ken hobby FFS.

They’d have no problems with the current breakdown of media if the Murdoch press hadn’t said bad things about them.

I can accept a view that the balance is wrong, but not from those pair who are clearly still seething.

Assuming that's correct, then all that speaks to is their motivation.

It doesn't change the core issues though does it.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Assuming that's correct, then all that speaks to is their motivation.

It doesn't change the core issues though does it.
It is correct and I said as much.

If the cause is important then find some better spokespeople. Even Barry from Bangalow has more credibility.

Gronk

Staff member

If the cause is important then find some better spokespeople. Even Barry from Bangalow has more credibility.
Malcolm Fraser was a vocal opponent of the Murdoch empire. I wonder who would be an acceptable spokesperson other than former Prime Ministers ? Is anyone immune to a sour grapes tag ?

Bandwagon

Staff member

If by better you mean anything other than more effective, then yeah, Barry from Bangalow's a shot.

But if you mean more effective, then........

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Malcolm Fraser was a vocal opponent of the Murdoch empire. I wonder who would be an acceptable spokesperson other than former Prime Ministers ? Is anyone immune to a sour grapes tag ?
Howard seems to be.

Don’t think anyone other than former PM’s are qualified to say something? Why?

Gronk

Staff member
Howard seems to be.

Don’t think anyone other than former PM’s are qualified to say something? Why?
Well if Collette Dinnigan, Ernie Dingo or Alan Joyce were the names brought in to front the petition for a royal commission etc, how successful do you think it would be ? Instead they have two former PMs from both sides of politics and that doesn't seem to impress you. They could throw in Obama too only this is a local issue and you'd prolly say he has an agenda too. Right ? Do you see a pattern ? The thing is that Murdoch's tentacles have such a wide reach that anyone who campaigns for the dilution of his power will be singled out as having a personal aggrievance.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Well if Collette Dinnigan, Ernie Dingo or Alan Joyce were the names brought in to front the petition for a royal commission etc, how successful do you think it would be ? Instead they have two former PMs from both sides of politics and that doesn't seem to impress you. They could throw in Obama too only this is a local issue and you'd prolly say he has an agenda too. Right ? Do you see a pattern ? The thing is that Murdoch's tentacles have such a wide reach that anyone who campaigns for the dilution of his power will be singled out as having a personal aggrievance.
Ernie Dingo is dead. Show some respect.