What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Football, Meat Pies & Parramatta

Gronk

Staff member
Those who have ventured home from Kings Cross after an all nighter, will have no doubt been to Harry's Cafe de Wheels at Woolloomooloo.

Now Harry's has opened in the carpark on Church Street North Parramatta behind KFC and adjacent to the BP servo.

6c3bfa6556857a30d2189550c0cc8b48_resized.jpg

Just in case you have been living in a cave all your life, you don't know what you are missing if you don't have one of these. I reckon that you need to add both tomato & worcestershire sauce however. It's a Sydney tradition since 1938.

large-cheapeats-harryspie.jpg

cv8z

Juniors
Went there the other day. Busier than the wooloomooloo one. They eve ran out of pies it was that busy

Haynzy

First Grade
Looks on par with the legendary pie floater...a staple after a late gig in the city.

Gronk

Staff member
Looks on par with the legendary pie floater...a staple after a late gig in the city.

Oh yeah - even better than Harry's IMHO. Wish you could get one in Sydney. BTW, I apologise for those Sydneysiders who call Harry's version above a pie floater.

03_08_06_b_pie_floater.jpg

parra pete

Referee
Parramatta Rugby League team in the sixties was known as 'Argents Pies"

They don't make Pies like Sargeants these days....Mmmmmmmmm Sargents Pies, Summons and Graham Drinks, Tooheys Flag Ale, Cumberland Oval.....Those were the days my friends....

Suitman

Post Whore
When I was at school, we used to have Rosehill Pies. Hmmmgood.

We used to live near that factory and mum used to go down and buy a tray of the "seconds" at 4 cents a pie. She'd bring home about 80 pies a time. It fed us for weeks!! :lol:

Suity

parra pete

Referee
We used to live near that factory and mum used to go down and buy a tray of the "seconds" at 4 cents a pie. She'd bring home about 80 pies a time. It fed us for weeks!! :lol:

Suity

:lol: Kids these days don't appreciate how tough families survived 'way back when'...
I think it made us more socially aware of the needs of others in an era of fibro v silvertails..
I still can't understand how we existed on one wage and large family. It makes me appreciate how much my parents sacrificed to get us good education, clothe and feed us, and encourage us to participate in sporting activities.
I remember that the blanket on my bed was an old Army Great Coat...Must admit..it was bloody warm though....

Gronk

Staff member
:lol: Kids these days don't appreciate how tough families survived 'way back when'...
I think it made us more socially aware of the needs of others in an era of fibro v silvertails..
I still can't understand how we existed on one wage and large family. It makes me appreciate how much my parents sacrificed to get us good education, clothe and feed us, and encourage us to participate in sporting activities.
I remember that the blanket on my bed was an old Army Great Coat...Must admit..it was bloody warm though....

One for you Pete. ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe1a1wHxTyo

strider

Post Whore

woe, woe .... I don't think suity's that old

strider

Post Whore

Suity

what exactly made a pie a "second" anyway? :lol: ..... didn't the bite out of it worry you?

I can't remember what the brand of pies was at school but they were yummy - quite peppery ..... and slowly warmed to a moderate temperature so you could just down 2 or 3 in a hurry ... oh the good old days

Gronk

Staff member
All the cracked/split ones.
Good value at 4 cents each, "way back then".

Suity

Good value considering a good pie was 12c. Pretty sure sausage rolls were 7c.

My parents could only afford to give me lunch money on Mondays however when there was no fresh bread..

forward pass

Coach
My parents could only afford to give me lunch money on Mondays however when there was no fresh bread..

Me too. I used to like Mondays for that reason - no bread, buy a pie and a packet of chips.

Still remember being filthy when a pack of chips went from 18c to 20c!!! Couldn't get my two lollies !!

strider

Post Whore
how good was it buying a bag of mixed lollies (where you picked all the different lollies at 1c each) from the canteen at the local footy after you'd played your game! ... do they still have sht like that?

Latest posts