What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Jerome Luai - should this be OK?

Frenzy.

Immortal
Why is this snark playing SOO.

BLUES ROOKIE PICKS SAMOA OVER AUSTRALIA

Most NSW Blues players have a desperate desire to take that next step to wearing a Kangaroos jersey.

Not Jarome Luai, the livewire Penrith five-eighth who debuts in State of Origin on Wednesday night. Luai is one of five Samoans in the NSW Blues squad, alongside winger Brian To’o and middle forwards Daniel Saifiti, Junior Paulo and Payne Haas.

The 24-year-old was born and bred in Sydney’s west but has no interest in playing for Australia, even if it costs him tens of thousands of dollars in match payments.

“At international level you should play for your heritage,” he said. “I was brought up in the Samoan church and I owe it to my family. I want to do them proud.

VOTE: WHO IS YOUR FAVOURITE BLUE?

“Money’s all good but I think at international level it shouldn’t be about money.”

When he first signed at Penrith, Luai put down New Zealand as his country of choice for representative Test footy. He’s now hoping Samoan authorities will allow Matthew and Andrew Johns, along with Sonny Bill Williams, to take up the coaching of the national side.

“They’ve won premierships, played for their state and their country and they’d bring something really special to the team,” he said.

It’s hard to believe this NRL crowd favourite is about to debut on rugby league’s biggest stage. Long-time Blues officials are amazed at how relaxed Luai has been in the lead-up to Origin I.

Jarome Luai has no interest in playing for Australia. Picture: Getty Images

Jarome Luai has no interest in playing for Australia. Picture: Getty Images
“I’m actually really chilled,” he said.

“The same as last year’s grand final – I really enjoyed the week.

“There’s so much positive energy around the team.

“I think about the game all the time but I’ll prepare like I do for any big game at Penrith.”

Wearing the No.6 Blues jersey that was once worn by legends Brett Kenny, Laurie Daley and Brad Fittler makes it even more special.

“I went to the Blues dinner the other night and I was in awe of all the legends in the room,” he said. “I got to hear what Origin meant to them.

“It’s a privilege to be in this jersey and I hope I can do all those guys proud.”

is it because Tonga and Samoa are still tier 2 teams?
so fall into the adrian lamb and tonnie carroll category?

Maybe. Probably. Possibly

Don't care. Let the Pacific Islands come up with their own team.

Luai also annoys me. Portrayed as a good guy he's actually a sneaky, niggly little smartarse merkin on the field.
yeah he shits me.
not a fan.
he won't get to skip across the field in origin either.

snout

First Grade
SOO was a 1980s concept after Qld got sick of qlders playing for NSW and they created a comp where everyone played for their home state.
It was tough and it was brilliant.
In NSW we only saw the qlders like miles lewis and dowling etc 3 times a year.

Now we see these guys play against each other every weekend.
Its totally different - and if your too young that you didnt see the 80s version you dont knkw what you missed. The highlights dont capture the theatre of the thing.
Now...
Its like the allstars game. Theres guys representing one side who shouldnt be. Who cares. The concept shouldve died years ago.

I have low hopes for the sharks in 2021 so my focus is on any team beating Penrith on grand final day. I will be chuffed.
Add "Penriff or Strom "and Id agree . Not a great hate for Penriff . But they entered the comp same time as us and dont want to see them getting too far ahead.

Last edited:
SOO was a 1980s concept after Qld got sick of qlders playing for NSW and they created a comp where everyone played for their home state.

Its totally different - and if your too young that you didnt see the 80s version you dont knkw what you missed. The highlights dont capture the theatre of the thing.
Now...
Its like the allstars game. Theres guys representing one side who shouldnt be. Who cares. The concept shouldve died years ago.
Derails a good chunk of the season too. I completely agree with that last past of what you said as well, it's nothing more than glorified exhibition matches now.

Now...
Yeah well its more the concept than the reality that people cling to. Isn't that why people follow sport ?

Last edited:
I give zero f**ks about SOO. Havent been interested in years, maybe when Sharks players are playing, but thats a big maybe.
tis professional sport 2021. Align yourself with a team and escape the reality of an over populated planet destroying their very own reason and explanation to exist. It at least gives some joy in the here and now to counteract a bleak future.

DJDL

Bench
Why is this snark playing SOO.

BLUES ROOKIE PICKS SAMOA OVER AUSTRALIA

Most NSW Blues players have a desperate desire to take that next step to wearing a Kangaroos jersey.

blah blah blah...

When he first signed at Penrith, Luai put down New Zealand as his country of choice for representative Test footy. He’s now hoping Samoan authorities will allow Matthew and Andrew Johns, along with Sonny Bill Williams, to take up the coaching of the national side.

blah blah blah...

That right there should be an end to Origin eligibility.
But most of you are right: who cares? If the past 15 years have taught us anything it's the NSW just don't get Origin. And I doubt they ever will.

Inferno

Coach
I am just looking forward to watching a game and not having to be worried about any shark players getting injured.

Prior to last year what would have been the last series not to feature a single shark player?

snout

First Grade
Nice that our new coach is rubbing shoulders over the nek few weeks with the elite.
Having a beer. Having a chat.
He might even walk past Capes in the tunnel.