What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Jerome Luai - should this be OK?

Eion

First Grade
I like it.

If people want international league to thrive then this is the way it needs to be. Otherwise you will get too many top tier players not choosing second tier nations.

Really don't know why people are getting their knickers in a knot.
Exactly, why do people care? As long as direct import (eg sbw) don’t just get recruited into soo then good luck to the young fellas who’ve been here years...or have been born here and want to rep for their heritage

Matua

Bench
He's a NSWelshman isn't he? So shouldn't he be eligible?

The problem with the rules is that he has to now declare for Samoa so he can play Origin after captaining the Junior Kiwis and declaring for NZ. (Not that I'm too fussed about him not playing for NZ if he really wants to play for Samoa, but we don't know the truth as he can't play for NZ and Origin).

Nah you're right, why on earth would we want a more competitive international game.

f**k the smaller nations.
if he wants to play he declares for Australia.
as a born a bred Australian.
he is chosing his heritage at the international level.
he therefore forfeits the right to play for nsw.

Nah you're right, why on earth would we want a more competitive international game.

f**k the smaller nations.
Are 3 state matches really doing anything for the international game though?

And what happens if say WA produces a superstar that decides he wants in on state of origin too? Actually they become queenslanders so ignore that question..

sharkman73

Juniors
Are 3 state matches really doing anything for the international game though?

And what happens if say WA produces a superstar that decides he wants in on state of origin too? Actually they become queenslanders so ignore that question..
In that case bad luck if he played junior footy over there.

The difference here is, Luai played his footy in NSW.

sharkman73

Juniors
if he wants to play he declares for Australia.
as a born a bred Australian.
he is chosing his heritage at the international level.
he therefore forfeits the right to play for nsw.
Then you won't get elite players playing for second tier nations, is that what we want?

The game where Tonga beat Australia was awesome for the game, needs to be more of it.

Reactions: PJ
Then you won't get elite players playing for second tier nations, is that what we want?

The game where Tonga beat Australia was awesome for the game, needs to be more of it.
sure it was great no doubt.
and when they become tier 1 (which they probably should be) then what?
let them all play state of origin.. kiwis and all?
once you change the rules you can't go back.
how do you stop potential aussie representatives being impacted from putting their best foot forward in the representative arena?

opening a can of worms.

Inferno

Coach
sure it was great no doubt.
and when they become tier 1 (which they probably should be) then what?
let them all play state of origin.. kiwis and all?
once you change the rules you can't go back.
how do you stop potential aussie representatives being impacted from putting their best foot forward in the representative arena?

opening a can of worms.
Why not re-assess when they become a tier 1?

Until then players that might choose to play for tonga/Samoa/Fiji/PNG continue to get some decent experience which will over the long term benefit the international game should they switch down the track.

I am pretty sure it is completely in the rules for players to play SOO and for tier 2 nations. I remember Fifita being asked not long after he switched to Tonga if he'd play for the Blues and he said he would if they'd let him go for game 2 (which was played around the same time as a Tongan international.

Why not re-assess when they become a tier 1?

Until then players that might choose to play for tonga/Samoa/Fiji/PNG continue to get some decent experience which will over the long term benefit the international game should they switch down the track.

I am pretty sure it is completely in the rules for players to play SOO and for tier 2 nations. I remember Fifita being asked not long after he switched to Tonga if he'd play for the Blues and he said he would if they'd let him go for game 2 (which was played around the same time as a Tongan international.
you could but that would be a bit farcical.
you can play... oh hold on now you can't.
for the first time in a long time we have some genuine competition at the international level.
I think we are on the cusp of opening it up to everyone and I don't think that is a wise move.

its quickly descended into another game of NRL with different coloured jerseys.

Matua

Bench
Yep great little player, love it.

Also love Origin not screwing with International footy. You can be NSW/QLD and also Samoan.
Except that's not strictly true. They need to completely open it up to all eligible players regardless of tier for it to be true.

snout

First Grade
What about this for an idea...

If youre eligible for NSW you play for NSW.
And if youre eligible for QLD you play for them.

And if youre not elible for either you watch it with the rest of us.
Even if youre a really really really good footballer and based just on that fact you believe you have a god given right to play - unfortunately you cant.

Even if you live in England and love SOO you still cant play or if youre canadian, scottish or even Tongan - Too bad.

And if you are eligible for Samoa or Tonga and want to play for them and play SOO, well choose one - because you aint that f**king special - nor bigger than the SOO concept despite what your cuzzies tell you.

You see it was originally created as NSW v QLD.
And so it should remiain.

Id love to play soccer for Brazil.
In the world cup.
Probably wouldnt mind a run in the All Blacks as well.
Im sure Chad would probably love a run with Penrith on Friday and l know will kennedy wants a game for storm one week and then turn out for the roosters the next.
But alas...

You see thats the great thing about sport.
Eligibility.

What about this for an idea...

If youre eligible for NSW you play for NSW.
And if youre eligible for QLD you play for them.

And if youre not elible for either you watch it with the rest of us.
Even if youre a really really really good footballer and based just on that fact you believe you have a god given right to play - unfortunately you cant.

Even if you live in England and love SOO you still cant play or if youre canadian, scottish or even Tongan - Too bad.

And if you are eligible for Samoa or Tonga and want to play for them and play SOO, well choose one - because you aint that f**king special - nor bigger than the SOO concept despite what your cuzzies tell you.

You see it was originally created as NSW v QLD.
And so it should remiain.

Id love to play soccer for Brazil.
In the world cup.
Probably wouldnt mind a run in the All Blacks as well.
Im sure Chad would probably love a run with Penrith on Friday and l know will kennedy wants a game for storm one week and then turn out for the roosters the next.
But alas...

You see thats the great thing about sport.
Eligibility.
f**k me snouty you are on one atm.
this is a very good post tho!
now share those bath salts with everyone :p

DJDL

Bench
I don't overly have a problem with players electing to play for a 2nd tier nation if it helps the international game.
It's a different story though when a player declares themselves available for the Kiwis (or the Poms for that matter). If you're not eligible for Australia, how can you be eligible for an Origin side?

Snout pretty much hit the nail on the head

carinashark

First Grade
Just looking forward to a really good game of football, and beer and pizza. I don‘t care who wins . Black ,white and blue comes first by a long way.

Quigs

Immortal
Yes I am really looking forward to watching the inconsistencies in officialdoms definition to the new rulings compared to regular competition games.

If forceful intent is to result in players being binned then I am expecting times during the game where it will be 11 against 10.

But the pizza will still be enjoyable.