What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT - Josh Dugan

Brutalitops

Juniors
So I wanted to make a thread that hopefully points out how much I think Josh Dugan cops a bit too much hate around here, and from the media in general.

Today Dugan had a press conference where he broke down describing his frustration with always being defined by the worst parts of his reputation. While he has obviously done a fair bit of dickhead stuff, I have always thought he copped too much considering it was mostly silly drunk things. He never assaulted someone, or injured someone, just got on the piss a lot, and I think it's unfair he's often thrown in the same category at Blake Ferguson who literally sexually assaulted a woman.

He spoke today about how the good things he does never ever get mentioned. He raised money for a dying child, does community work, and tries to do good for people, yet is still remembered just for getting drunk and posting something dumb on Instagram.

Dugan has been one of my favourite Dragons players of the last 5 years. He gave his all for our club and I hate to see how some turned on him for leaving despite the fact he'd be crazy not to take the Sharks massive offer. Try and remember the Dugan who cried when he realised he'd played his late game in the Red V last year, rather than the guy who got locked out of an RSL for swearing.

His conference is in this article
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...k=5bc7173ed164ab9b1c517ffcec1f61a3-1536643637

JDHD

Juniors
Dugan makes himself a target by continually doing stupid shit. He needs to grow the f**k up.

Drag Queen

Bench
So I wanted to make a thread that hopefully points out how much I think Josh Dugan cops a bit too much hate around here, and from the media in general.

Today Dugan had a press conference where he broke down describing his frustration with always being defined by the worst parts of his reputation. While he has obviously done a fair bit of dickhead stuff, I have always thought he copped too much considering it was mostly silly drunk things. He never assaulted someone, or injured someone, just got on the piss a lot, and I think it's unfair he's often thrown in the same category at Blake Ferguson who literally sexually assaulted a woman.

He spoke today about how the good things he does never ever get mentioned. He raised money for a dying child, does community work, and tries to do good for people, yet is still remembered just for getting drunk and posting something dumb on Instagram.

Dugan has been one of my favourite Dragons players of the last 5 years. He gave his all for our club and I hate to see how some turned on him for leaving despite the fact he'd be crazy not to take the Sharks massive offer. Try and remember the Dugan who cried when he realised he'd played his late game in the Red V last year, rather than the guy who got locked out of an RSL for swearing.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...k=5bc7173ed164ab9b1c517ffcec1f61a3-1536643637
Whilst I agree with most of what you say about Duges, his recent poor decision to partake in that podcast with Fifita left me underwhelmed. I've never doubted his commitment and talent as a footy player but his lack of maturity has always been his downfall unfortunately.

SBD82

Coach
I've not got a lot of time for Dugan. He swanned around our club as though he owned the joint. That's partly the club's fault - we rolled out the red carpet for him and treated him like a rockstar.

But he's got a point. The media is a pack of arseholes. Wouldn't piss on most of them if they were on fire.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
I am a big fan of Duges. Great player for club, state and country. I've never seen him as a dickhead, just a flawed human being who every now and then will do something he regrets. Most of his misdemeanours have been stupid drunk stuff so I am not going to throw any stones.

JDHD

Juniors
The best take I’ve heard on this issue was the This Week in League boys: “if Josh Dugan is doing so much good stuff, how come Edrick Lee is the Shark’s Ken Stephen’s nominee?”

The Damo

Juniors

Yeah I agree, Dugans done a bunch of stupid stuff, and obviously has some issues around maturity and attitude. But none of it’s been really bad or criminal stuff. Some of the criticism he cops is fair enough, but compared to the real bad stuff guys like Ferguson or lodge have done its not even in the same ballpark. On the field he always gave his all, and while I think the decision not to match the sharks offer was the right one, he was one of very few bright spots for the team in the years he was here.
So yeah, criticise him for doing immature stupid stuff, but have a sense of proportion that swearing and being a meathead on a podcast is honestly a small thing, and also give credit for the good stuff.
Especially given that the main league reporter for the highest selling paper covering the NRL has got plenty more questionable behaviour in his record.

The Damo

Juniors
If you keep doing stupid stuff, podcasts, getting thrown out of clubs, the media is going to report it.
The easiest solution is to stop doing stupid stuff.
This is true, but the reporting and criticism of it should be proportional to the fact that it is just stupid stuff, not actually hurting anyone. The Murdoch owned media blow stupid stuff way out of proportion to generate clicks and sales and a percentage of fans eat it up.
An example would be how Lodge lost his shit at the end of the game Sunday and spent the last 15 minutes trying to take peoples head off. That’s much worse, for the game and for the image of the game than a couple of meatheads carrying on like pork chops on a podcast, but it’ll get 1% if the coverage.

merahputih

Juniors
I fear that a high profile player will eventually commit suicide while still playing 1st in the NRL, the BS that players cop on social media etc will eventually take it's toll on someone...
I hope that never happens.Tragically it has happened all too often among young people getting bullied on social media.

SEAT 1A

Bench
Whilst I agree with most of what you say about Duges, his recent poor decision to partake in that podcast with Fifita left me underwhelmed. I've never doubted his commitment and talent as a footy player but his lack of maturity has always been his downfall unfortunately.

Agree Drag Queen.

His off field achievements should be applauded but there is a time and place for everything which can go over the top sometimes however, regarding the Pod cast ,he was still representing the club.

giboz71

First Grade
Agree that there are pockets of the media that are scumbags. Always looking for easy targets.

Truth is, 95% of players stay out the limelight by keeping their nose clean. The usual suspects like Fergo, Fifita and Duges always get in strife because they make poor decisions.

Duges isn’t a bad guy, just doesn’t strike me as being very bright. He plays footy dumb as well despite always giving 100%. It’s why I never thought he deserved marquis money like he wanted.

I feel more sorry for Hunt to be honest who’s done nothing wrong really but have a high profile and a big contract. He certainly doesn’t deserve the crap he gets from the media.

True_Believer

Juniors
This is true, but the reporting and criticism of it should be proportional to the fact that it is just stupid stuff, not actually hurting anyone. The Murdoch owned media blow stupid stuff way out of proportion to generate clicks and sales and a percentage of fans eat it up.
An example would be how Lodge lost his shit at the end of the game Sunday and spent the last 15 minutes trying to take peoples head off. That’s much worse, for the game and for the image of the game than a couple of meatheads carrying on like pork chops on a podcast, but it’ll get 1% if the coverage.

Besides, the podcast abuse was aimed at a drunken beetroot head who probably deserved it. Unfortunately he's the one that blows all this stuff out of proportion.

JDHD

Juniors
I just can’t get behind a guy who told someone to go kill the selves on social media then coming out and saying how mean everyone is on social media.

He's a bit of a dick, but our backline would be exponentially better with him at centre and a club that new how to put together a TPA would still have him.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Notice how he did nothing stupid whilst at Saints? The only time he strayed was in Origin camp with Fergo. Then he goes to Sharks and is best mates with Fafita. He says he helped a dying child but is hanging around a guy who supports a mate in prison who king hit an innocent guy in the street. As for good stories in the press, there were plenty on him when at the Saints about how he cleaned himself up. To replay the Saints he left because he wanted 50k more. That is when you lose respect for a guy as a Saints fan.

He really does love hanging around trouble and that is what has given him this bad reputation. I guarantee if he was still at Saints he would not have had to justify himself.

BLM01

First Grade
Look the media re sports and other journalism have got a lot to answer for re trying brainwashing us all into what to think and also to encourage the "outraged" Politically Correct society we have got today, especially on social media.
But I have not full sympathy for sports stars like Dugan (only some). They are educated re that if you earning $800K a year, the sports media are gunna treat you harder than someone on 80K whether it be form or misdemeanours...and like it or not you going be in the spotlight. It goes with the territory as does a politicians and their salary.
But the media will always be there so pay them as much respect as they do you.
I get Dugan has done some good things in society, great, he has the money to donate stuff and more time than most working Aussies in a 12 month calendar year. Good on him for doing stuff for others, fans etc but those same fans also put their hard earned back into the game that you play.
So dont whinge and as Dugan says he is no longer listens to radio or reads papers or hardly on social media so you cant read anything bad to upset you..and stay off social media
Then you have got only news on TV to listen to and abusive people in public...like it was few years ago.
And because of the fishbowl existence NRL clubs keep their players in if you dont do something drastic or stupid in the public eye and keep your nose clean in your own time then you have little to worry about.

Latest posts