What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: NRL Expansion

Gronk

Staff member

I can only assume that it's the Penn family exploring opportunities to add value to their Manly NRL Franchise.

I agree that Sydney has too many teams. Geographically teams like Souths & Sharks should be on the chopping block.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
Just get rid of manly and cronulla. Neither have large fan bases, and neither area is set to grow. Cronulla juniors can be taken over by St. George and the Parramatta, Penrith, and Campbelltown juniors that manly takes can then be filtered into the juniors from those districts.

The other club that can go is Sydney City. But they won't ever be brought up because they win all the time so all of their other flaws are glossed over. But they should be the other area looked at.

Angry_eel

First Grade
I hate Manly but I don't want them gone. It will not only be a loss of fans but it will also set a dangerous precedent post-super league. With Bankwest not being a Parra-only homeground anymore, even we could be on the chopping block if things turn into an american-style system.

Plus how can a tv channel ask for a club to be chopped? That's just weird.

Last edited:

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
I hate Manly but I don't want them gone. It will not only be a loss of fans but it will also set a dangerous precedent post-super league. With Bankwest not being a Parra-only homeground anymore, even we could be on the chopping block if things turn into an american-style system.

Well, the bloke on twitter reckons it's the NRL pushing this but hiding behind Channel 9 so they don't cop the flak.

84 Baby

Referee
Culling a team in Sydney isn’t the answer. History has proved this.
I think it is. Cull/relocate interstate St George, Cronulla, Souths, Tigers, Dogs, Roosters, Penrith and Manly.
All those sweet TPAs will be ours

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

Lack of fans, viewers and non-TV income (since TV income is disproportionately earned by more popular teams but distributed equally) is what should determine who gets the arse from the crowded Sydney market.

Eelogical

Referee
If they were completely serious they should be looking at further mergers in the Sydney area before culling any particular team.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Culling a team in Sydney isn’t the answer. History has proved this.
Agree. Moving them somewhere else won't work. The two heads in Brisbane will want their own team and even then I think most of them are already welded on to the Broncos.