OT: Parra Stadium sharing

Discussion in 'Parramatta Eels' started by born an eel, Apr 4, 2012.

1. SDM

SDM First Grade

I think standing is the only way to go as we watch the Eels surge forward into the post-Jarryd Hayne era.
    Far too exciting to remain seated.

2. carson

carson Juniors

First world problems...

3. Twizzle

Twizzle Administrator Staff Member

We play guys in indoor who bowl at Siddle's pace (125ks), they play A grade outdoor cricket. How this guy plays for Australia got me f**ked.

4. Barry O'Speedwagon

Barry O'Speedwagon Coach

There are heaps of blokes who can bowl 125-130kph..... Though you do have to be careful with the speed guns at indoor cricket centres. The proprietors have been known to 'calibrate' them.

The best gauge is to get yourself in front of a bowling machine and set it to 130ks (and don't let any wankers feed it). It's quite playable. Add 5ks and it gets interesting. Add another 5 and you have to revisit your footwork.

5. Twizzle

Twizzle Administrator Staff Member

They were measured outdoors.

The first few are quick as most dont bowl that fast but you get used to them after a while

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
  6. Suitman

Suitman Immortal

This is Orlando City's new stadium in the USA MLS
    Surely, something like this, which has a safe standing single tiered end would be a perfect fit for both clubs here? With a roof of course!!
    The steepness of the safe standing end shows that the rails would not be an issue. Don't forget, in seating mode, there are TWO steps between every row, thus increasing the height above the row in front of you, When the seats are folded up, there are the same two steps for standing, which is why capacity is increased in safe standing mode.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Gronk

Gronk Moderator Staff Member

I think WSW need to slow down and instead of designing stadia with standing areas, they should be providing comfort to the NSW Government that the proposal of safe standing is indeed, safe.

Venues NSW will no doubt be looking to the UK for a position. As I understand it, this is the UK Governments current position:-

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/safe-standing-at-football-grounds

8. Suitman

Suitman Immortal

You stand on one side of the fence.
    I stand on the other.
    WSW could easily provide what you ask, and use overseas examples.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...introduce-safe-standing-area-Celtic-Park.html

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/33061483

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11787/9879678/celtic-to-introduce-rail-seating-at-celtic-park

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  9. Suitman

Suitman Immortal

Can you tell me Gronk, why you would see a problem with the Eels/Wanderers getting a new stadium like that of Orlando and the pictures I provided above?

10. Gronk

There would be no problem IMO if:-

1. Venues NSW are satisfied by independent reports (based on safety, security etc) that any public liability concerns are resolved. After all no venue wishes to be held liable for providing facilities to the public that are less that 100% compliant to all health and safety requirements.

2. The "safe standing" area is able to be converted to regular stadium seating (ie not inferior standing or fold down versions) so that fans of other codes can enjoy the new multi code stadium in full capacity mode.

11. Barry O'Speedwagon

Barry O'Speedwagon Coach

Whatever they do, I'd recommend calling it 'dedicated standing' rather than 'safe standing'. The lawyers will have a field day after the first injury in a 'safe standing' zone.

12. Gary Gutful

Gary Gutful Immortal

Purple seats will never work.

13. Suitman

Suitman Immortal

I don't see a problem with either of those opinions. In fact, I think they are both perfectly valid.
    I'm more amused at why these things bother you. They're certainly not going to affect "YOUR" game day experience.
    E.G. I've never sat nor stood in the RBB (north terrace) at Pirtek at a Wanderers match. I'm a Cronin Stand man. I appreciate however, what a standing terrace provides for a match day experience. It is brilliant
    I also believe this could happen for the Eels, f**king obviously without the flares. (Go figure :roll:)
    The health and safety issue will, what a surprise, certainly be taken into consideration. Afterall, we live in politically correct take no risks Australia.

14. Gronk

It doesn't "bother me". It's simply daft to build a multi code stadium that does not cater for everyone 365 days a year.

So have your rails. At the end of your season remove them and install regular seating. That way the winter codes can enjoy the new stadium at full capacity.

The suggestion that other codes might change their fan behaviour and learn to like standing areas is wishful thinking at a time were fans will only go to the games when they are provided with the best facilities.

15. Suitman

Suitman Immortal

Fair enough.
    I asked this question yesterday though.
    What is wrong with standing at the footy?
    Many people used to do it and many still do - albeit at other grounds. They still would at Pirtek if the upgrade 10 years ago had have kept the hills open.
    Do you REALLY think that every fan who attends an Eels game, wants to sit?
    Even the people who want to stand don't have to be active or anything. They can stand there with their hands in their pockets if they like, and clap clap clap when the PA system tells them to, to support their team.
    Plenty of English SL teams have standing areas you know, and they are the life blood of the atmosphere at their games.

I just don't get why people are against standing areas, when -

1. They don't have to buy tickets there.
    2. Standing isn't an unusual attraction at a game of footy
    3. Fans of any club or sport are more likely to make noise and increase atmosphere.

Gronk, you DO know don't you, that at all those "all seater" stadiums in England, that most fans behind the goals stand anyway?

Suity

16. Gronk

Sorry can't see ever happening. If it was your ground, then do what you like. But it's a multicode stadium that is to cater for many teams / events for the next 30 years. The fact that 2,500 punters from a soccer club want no seats won't sway the way that the merkins who are going to sign off on this think.

17. Noise

Noise Coach

I tend to agree. And particularly when that group of 2,500 standing punters have had so many issues with behaviour and safety.

18. Gary Gutful

Gary Gutful Immortal

Suity's point was that there may also be supporters of Parra who want to stand.

I know when I'm balls deep in a "Parra, clap, clap, clap" chant I need to stand up.

19. Noise

Noise Coach

I've been to many Parra games with many different people and I have never heard anyone say they would prefer to stand or even ask if there is a standing area.

20. IFR33K

IFR33K Coach

Lol.