What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT - Round Ball World Cup Qualifier

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
Anyone here going to Welly for the All Whites V Peru?

I'm in two minds about it.

For the record, Soccer Football is my numero uno sport. Hands down.
It's in my blood, I'm from England (moved here when I was knee high)
Played for 25 years (although I'll gladly accept I'm mediocre, on a good day) and still play to this day.

Unsure whether to make this trip, for a number of reasons.
Firstly, we're already going on holiday (not that date, but need the money for it)
Been to previous 2 games in the same scenario, which were polar opposites - Bahrain was immense. Hands down best sporting moment I've ever been to. Mexico where we didn't have a hope in heck of progressing, it felt almost like a wasted trip.

Peru, I've read (I don't know much football outside NZ, England and the major teams) are in the top 10, so will be tough. I don't recognize ANY of their players. Also with this being the first leg, even if we do somehow, someway get a result it may still count for nothing.

Just wondering if any of you lot are considering going

JJ

Immortal
Not something would make the trip to Welly for, and they seem to be charging like a wounded bull for the ticket prices

You're the first person I've heard mention their ranking. I was surprised that it was that high (number 10 at present I think). The South American qualifying obviously throws up some suprises given the passions, pressure etc etc. We seem relived that we've drawn Peru because they're not one of the 'big' names - the reality is they're ranked higher than 'big' names such as Uruguay who I think have qualified.

Good on them for talking it up, but the chances of progressing here seem very remote... more remote than last time - that said, if we can be disciplined and tough we might somehow surprise - problem is we need to do more than draw.

Exciting that the World Cup is something we might qualify for - I still vividly remember as a small kid watching the 82 heroics

Latest posts