What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Socceroos v Ghana

Suitman

Post Whore
Whether we've seen them given or not is irrelevant really. There are crap referees everywhere that will give sh*t decisions. The question is whether it was a penalty, and put simply, it wasn't.

Yep, because it was a red card tackle, and the ref was either incompetent or biased

Absolutely, and that's the biggest failing of soccer. The referees have far too much power over the number of players on the field, and because of the harsh consequences it is in the players interests to excessively play up fouls and take dives.

There have already been 6 or 7 red cards this tournament, and that's in only about 25 games! How many send offs have there been in the NRL this year? :lol:

They either need to think about sin bin system or at least have a massive overhaul of the way referees interpret their decision making.

Or finally wake up, smell the roses, realise they are in the 21st century and modern day technolgy is available.

Suity

fish eel

Immortal
Or finally wake up, smell the roses, realise they are in the 21st century and modern day technolgy is available.

Suity

On line decisions? Yes.

On calls like the one against Kewell?

No.

Most pundits I've read/heard agree it was a penalty. Some, a small minority, dont. The gap is then again closer between those who believe it was a red/not a red.

So the problem with using TV on such a decision, is that it's not black and white. You'd still have disagreement. You'd have the same problem if using technology to determine whether or not a tackle was a red, whether a striker was fouled etc. Quite often, it's not a game of black and white, and that, IMO, is why it's such a great game.

Anyway, I posed this question in soccer forum, anyone know the answer:

so what happens if -

we beat Serbia 1-0. Very possible.

Germany beat Ghana 4-0. Possible

Would that not leave Australia and Ghana on 4 points?

The same goal difference.

The same number of goals scored for, and also against???

So, basically, if Germany beat Ghana and we beat Serbia then it will leave:

Germany 6
Australia 4
Ghana 4
Serbia 1

Ghana are currently +1 and we're currently -4 so we'd need to make up a 5 goal difference. If the games are won by 3 and 2 then we're even on differential.

What would happen then, considering our game was a draw and our differential was even? Would they go through because of a better defensive record or would we go through because of a better attacking record? Or something else?

No. That's not right. Is it?

It's currently Ghana - 4, Germany - 3, Serbia -3, Australia - 1

We have to hope Ghana beat Germany & we beat Serbia, or Germany thrash Ghana & we beat Serbia, or Germany beat Ghana & we thrash Serbia.

If Germany & Ghana draw, we can't make it. Serbia would possibly need to beat us, or at least draw to go through.

Is that not correct?

Serbia beat Germany, so your table is wrong HJ.

Parra Guru

Coach
Hand ball and penalty in the box, yep.

Red card. No.

A lot of Aussies will be turned off soccer because of pedantic rubbish like that. Shame really condiering how hard the guys have worked to build the game up on our shores.

Also, FIFA has screwed Australia royally with the scheduling. 2 x 4:30am games and Earliest game was midnight when the 9:30 slot is available.

Great work :roll:

fish eel

Immortal
Hand ball and penalty in the box, yep.

Red card. No.

A lot of Aussies will be turned off soccer because of pedantic rubbish like that. Shame really condiering how hard the guys have worked to build the game up on our shores.

Also, FIFA has screwed Australia royally with the scheduling. 2 x 4:30am games and Earliest game was midnight when the 9:30 slot is available.

Great work :roll:

there are no midnight or 9:30 slots for the final group games. They all kick off at 4.30 our time, and each groups last games are played at the same time.

A week of early mornings, with flicking between SBS 1 & 2 on the agenda......

Fui!!!

Juniors
No. That's not right. Is it?

It's currently Ghana - 4, Germany - 3, Serbia -3, Australia - 1

We have to hope Ghana beat Germany & we beat Serbia, or Germany thrash Ghana & we beat Serbia, or Germany beat Ghana & we thrash Serbia.

If Germany & Ghana draw, we can't make it. Serbia would possibly need to beat us, or at least draw to go through.

Is that not correct?

If it's a draw we need to win by 7.

Also:

a) greatest number of points obtained in all group matches;
b) goal difference in all group matches;
c) greatest number of goals scored in all group matches.

If two or more teams are equal on the basis of the above three criteria, their rankings will be determined as follows:
d) greatest number of points obtained in the group matches between the teams concerned;
e) goal difference resulting from the group matches between the teams concerned;
f) greater number of goals scored in all group matches between the teams concerned;
g) drawing of lots by the FIFA Organising Committee.

From: http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/tou...wc_south_africa_2010_regulations_en_14123.pdf

Page 40.

Last edited:

fish eel

Immortal
If it's a draw we need to win by 7.

Also:

a) greatest number of points obtained in all group matches;
b) goal difference in all group matches;
c) greatest number of goals scored in all group matches.

If two or more teams are equal on the basis of the above three criteria, their rankings will be determined as follows:
d) greatest number of points obtained in the group matches between the teams concerned;
e) goal difference resulting from the group matches between the teams concerned;
f) greater number of goals scored in all group matches between the teams concerned;
g) drawing of lots by the FIFA Organising Committee.

From: http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/tou...wc_south_africa_2010_regulations_en_14123.pdf

Page 40.

so to answer my question, it would be a f**king hat draw?

True but lucky for me that doesn't affect anything since we need Serbia to lose and thus stay on 3 which would be below our 4, thus ruling them out of contention anyways :)

So, basically, if things go right and Ghana and Australia win then we'll advance. If Germany and Australia win then whoever has the best F/A will go through, except if it's a tie and then we'll probably go through because in order to even the F/A we'll need to score a sh*tload of goals?

Suitman

Post Whore
On line decisions? Yes.

On calls like the one against Kewell?

No.

Most pundits I've read/heard agree it was a penalty. Some, a small minority, dont. The gap is then again closer between those who believe it was a red/not a red.

So the problem with using TV on such a decision, is that it's not black and white. You'd still have disagreement. You'd have the same problem if using technology to determine whether or not a tackle was a red, whether a striker was fouled etc. Quite often, it's not a game of black and white, and that, IMO, is why it's such a great game.

Fair enough. If the rule states that if it touches the arm it's an automatic penalty, so be it, and last night's decision was correct. I can hack that.

I can't handle the fact that it was considered deliberate, and not only are we penalised for 65 minutes of this match but 90 of the next. f**king ridiculous.
So, what about the decision in the first match of a German handball in the box? Decision completely wrong. Completely wrong. That touched the defender further down the arm than Kewell's did.
Surely in this situation and video ref could/would have corrected that?

You say (as I understand) that part of why it's a great game is the fact that the human element is still the sole decision maker.
I'd suggest that that is one major reason this country is struggling to accept it as a serious football sport contender.
Most divers are missed by authority during the game. The one's that are caught are given a yellow card, but you'd be lucky if it was 5% that are caught. That turns people off. The fact that they don't, after the game, crack down on these divers using match review and video technology doesn't tell me that they are traditionalists, it tells me they are stuck in the dark ages.

You talk about disagreement, based on judgement.
We still have that in rugby league, but we get far more decisions right these days than we used to, even though in some cases, there is disagreement. Disagreement is good. Makes the world go around.
The same goes for cricket - an equal, if not more traditional sport than football. The same could also be said for rugby. Stuck up, toffee nosed and pretentious, they have still seen the advantages of the video referee.

Soccer needs to get out of the f**king dark ages.

Suity

Suitman

Post Whore
What a f**king joke.
The Italians have spent the first 25 minutes diving all over the place, and eventually conned the ref into giving them a penalty. He was hardly touched but sends himself flailing to the ground and is awarded the penalty. f**king girls blouse.

Seriously, the game is getting beyond a joke, if Cahill gets sent off for his tackle, the Aussies aren't awarded a penalty for a blatant hand ball in the same game, the guy that smashed Bresciano isn't given a red and then one of Hollywoods finest is given a penalty while playing for Italy.

Referees in soccer make NRL refs look like High Court judges.

Suity

Last edited:

Suitman

Post Whore
Great result for the Kiwi's.
I've never cheered so loud for them in my life.
Sure they played a negative defensive game, and got a goal from a lucky grab, but they held the world champions out from scoring in open play for the whole game (96 mins).
As I said before, the penalty was an absolute farce (again :roll:...stupid game) but they battled on to hold their heads high and shame the world champions.

Good onya's Kiwis, and really proud of you lot.

Suity

PS. It was amazing how much the diving (attempted cheating) stopped when Italy actually had to score to win.
Wankers.

Eelementary

Post Whore
You obvoiusly have no f**king idea what your talking about. There is NO directive to referees to send off a player that tackles from behind. However, it should of been a red card as the bloke has lunged in, studs up and connected with Bresciano.

As for the Kewell incident there is are two things that could have happened:

1. The referee didn't think it was a handball- play on

2. What did happen. The referee believes its a handball and calls the penalty. Since Kewell is on the goaline and has denied an obvoius goal-scoring opportunity has must be sent off as of the laws of the game.

Nope. It was reviewed. Tackles from behind were to be heavily penalized.

http://www.fifa.com/classicfootball/history/law/summary.html

Jackass.

Last edited:

fish eel

Immortal
OK Suity, after seeing what just happened to Kaka, I cant really refute anything you've said :lol:

I will say though, that just in general, the overall standard of officiating is terrible. Just terrible - and the use of technology wouldnt improve that unless the referee was completely abolished. Some of the decisions made on field have been absolutely baffling. You get more consistency week in week out in the a-league

Latest posts