What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Socceroos v Ghana

fish eel

Immortal
The thing with the Kaka incident is that either

1. The officials didn't see it and reacted to seeing a player on the ground holding his face. In that case - just a stupid decision if they didn't see it or

2. They saw it and deemed it a foul. That's even more stupid.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
has to be option 1

surely if anyone deserves to get off Kaka should get off this, he did nothing and its all on video

strider

Post Whore
as I said a few pages back - hard to love a game which is all about conning the ref into sh*t :?

strider

Post Whore
there are no midnight or 9:30 slots for the final group games. They all kick off at 4.30 our time, and each groups last games are played at the same time.

A week of early mornings, with flicking between SBS 1 & 2 on the agenda......
there are midnight games, just no more 9:30 games - each group's final games are either both at midnight or both at 4:30am

forward pass

Coach
Indeed Twiz, but the officialdom refuse to use the technology after the final whistle.

Suity

Some of the rules and policies of soccer are absolutely draconian. Bloody shame.

Also the best officials have not even been sent to the World Cup. It is all about making sure officials from every continent are sent, so most of the really good ones are at home watching it on tv.

fish eel

Immortal
there are midnight games, just no more 9:30 games - each group's final games are either both at midnight or both at 4:30am

yeah....my bad

Indeed Twiz, but the officialdom refuse to use the technology after the final whistle.

Suity

The A-League do dont they?

I'm pretty sure they introduced a rule last year in regards to diving?

edit:

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/16230/ffa-winning-war-on-diving-279636

The game's governing body declared it would use video evidence, collated from up to seven cameras each game, to retrospectively punish players deemed by its match review panel to have committed serious acts of simulation.

Players deemed by the panel to have dived to earn penalties or get opponents sent off will be suspended for two matches.

so, if playing in the A-League, there would be a chance Kaka's red would be overturned and the other bloke rubbed out for 2 games?

Suitman

Post Whore

edit:

so, if playing in the A-League, there would be a chance Kaka's red would be overturned and the other bloke rubbed out for 2 games?

Yes they do. Shame the world body refuses to follow suit.
Still, the very poor decision which could have been righted, may have cost New Zealand the full 3 points.
I agree with you re the officiating in the world cup - it has been absolutely appalling.

Suity

hybrideel

Bench
IMO this is what the average aussie who has grown up on contact sports sees as a stumbling block to really following the game. You see on these forums what everyone thinks of league players who take a dive in the game and they are very minimal in numbers in comparison. As strides said, half the game seems to be about how much you can con the ref. I really can't see how these guys can go home, look their kids in the eye and tell them they played in the spirit of the game

hybrideel

Bench

edit:

i think the A-League had to rub out diving to be taken seriously as a sport in this country, and good on them for bringing this rule in. The quality may not be as good but at least you are getting to watch a game, not an acting lesson

fish eel

Immortal
Yes they do. Shame the world body refuses to follow suit.
Still, the very poor decision which could have been righted, may have cost New Zealand the full 3 points.
I agree with you re the officiating in the world cup - it has been absolutely appalling.

Suity

I think thats a bigger issue than use or not of technology.

When SO many calls are clearly wrong, not just big ones but free kicks in general, and when some referees seem very card happy for questionable fouls, you really have to wonder where some of these clowns come from and what they see?

I'm not sold on use of technology during matches because so many of the decisions come down to interpretation, and a decision by a video official would still be debated endlessly (and you may see MORE penalties if the video officials then follow the letter of the law).

However, things like cancelling cards and punishing a diver - absolutely use the videos. Even if it is retrospective.

fish eel

Immortal
i think the A-League had to rub out diving to be taken seriously as a sport in this country, and good on them for bringing this rule in. The quality may not be as good but at least you are getting to watch a game, not an acting lesson

Speaking of the quality of the A-League - an A-League coach and a side with a heap of players from the Phoenix are doing our competition enormous credit in South Africa.

hybrideel

Bench
i found it a little funny when the commentators mentioned that NZ had 4 players that played in NZ and 1 in Australia, not mentioning that it is the same comp that they play in. But yes maybe NZ are proving Pim wrong that no A-League players are good enough

The Engineers Room

First Grade
Why is anyone caring about soccer when there is a quality football code in the middle of it's season in Rugby League. The coverage is ridiculous. I mean they are playing the result at the front of the news before major events in news.

On the handball, they showed numerous times from countless angles, it is clear to me he had his hands outstretched to make himself bigger. He did intend to take it on the chest but in my mind the arms were out there just in case and he made no attempt to pull his arm away. Red card is a great call. He won't play again in this tournament.

fish eel

Immortal
Why is anyone caring about soccer when there is a quality football code in the middle of it's season in Rugby League. The coverage is ridiculous. I mean they are playing the result at the front of the news before major events in news.

On the handball, they showed numerous times from countless angles, it is clear to me he had his hands outstretched to make himself bigger. He did intend to take it on the chest but in my mind the arms were out there just in case and he made no attempt to pull his arm away. Red card is a great call. He won't play again in this tournament.

Gee, I dunno, because it's the once in every four years world cup of the biggest football code in the world? Because more people watch this than the Olympics? :roll:

Parra Guru

Coach

I like sport, especially when Australia is involved, and I'm willing to give such a big event my attention!!

Has it stopped me following Parra? Absolutely not!!

SDM

First Grade
I am doing my best to get into it, but have fallen asleep before half time both games.