What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Supercheap Auto Bathurst 1000 2019 Thread

hindy111

Post Whore
26, actually. I think most people feel the same about Bathurst these days. A spectacle that means not much once the race is done and dusted. If they wanted to take this race back to it's origins there would be SUV's, small medium and large road cars entered in their respective categories like you mentioned.

I'd love to see the Toyota Hiace going around

84 Baby

Referee
No issues with this, just saying it's got nothing to do with its original intention these days. That could also be said about the Supercars series as a whole. NRL and Supercars actually try to control their respective sport in similar ways. Salary cap and parity. Neither have been successful at it as most fans see the same teams in both sports dominated by mega teams with others making up the numbers.
Although Bathurst is a common link, Supercars is at least a completely different grade of sport compared to 30 years ago, opposed to professional rugby league which is still essentially the same sport

Eelogical

Referee
Although Bathurst is a common link, Supercars is at least a completely different grade of sport compared to 30 years ago, opposed to professional rugby league which is still essentially the same sport
RL is essentially the same sport compared to 30 years ago?

strider

Post Whore
I went to bathurst once - camped on the mountain .... I've never feared for my life so much .... a hundred drunken fools doing circle work off their faces .... good times

84 Baby

Referee
RL is essentially the same sport compared to 30 years ago?
I didn’t really articulate my point very well. In terms of professionalism, motorsports has far more grades of competition than rugby league (which essentially has 1 to 1.5). Supercars are way above what were running around in the days of V8s vs Minis. I do miss the privateers though

Bandwagon

Staff member
My old man used to race sidecars back when I was a young fella, we did the bikes at Easter a few times. He took me round as passenger on the sidecar one year for a few laps, taken it pretty easy on account of my weight not really being enough to keep the outside wheel on the ground.

I have never experienced anything that felt as fast as that since. Six inches off the ground nailed coming down off the mountain into hell corner was f**king awesome.

Eelogical

Referee
My old man used to race sidecars back when I was a young fella, we did the bikes at Easter a few times. He took me round as passenger on the sidecar one year for a few laps, taken it pretty easy on account of my weight not really being enough to keep the outside wheel on the ground.

I have never experienced anything that felt as fast as that since. Six inches off the ground nailed coming down off the mountain into hell corner was f**king awesome.
Are you straight, mate? Hell corner is at the end of pit straight leading into mountain straight.

Bandwagon

Staff member
Are you straight, mate? Hell corner is at the end of pit straight leading into mountain straight.

My bad, murrays. though I don't think that's what it was called back then, late seventies, so well and truly before they put in the chase

Bandwagon

Staff member
I wore the toe off one of my Dunlop volleys, didn't notice i was dragging my foot 'till it got a bit hot.

Latest posts