What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: The Bush Fires + Royal Commission

Bandwagon

Staff member
Scotty from Marketing made a plea for donations yesterday. Not sure if this is unprecedented, however when you throw in his comment that the volunteer RFS “want to be out there” smacks of a Montgomery Burns merkin who hates to put his hand in his pocket. He only committed to compensate firies and provide cash for more resources after being hounded by community sentiment.

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...unteers-decry-pms-claim-they-want-to-be-there

Halfway through November and around 500 homes had been lost already in NSW alone, and nothing on the table from Scotty from Marketing, seems he's planning his holiday.

Come late December and a heap of criticism, hey presto, the thing that was the states responsibility starts getting a hell of a lot more attention from the federal government, and it seems there is an important role there for them after all.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Halfway through November and around 500 homes had been lost already in NSW alone, and nothing on the table from Scotty from Marketing, seems he's planning his holiday.

Come late December and a heap of criticism, hey presto, the thing that was the states responsibility starts getting a hell of a lot more attention from the federal government, and it seems there is an important role there for them after all.
Democracy at work.

Gronk

Staff member
Wonder how many of the fires have started or escalated by arsonists?

Be frivolous to think they don't exist, even just a little

Is this a propaganda sell by the government from a decade ago?
https://aic.gov.au/publications/bfab/bfab059

Maybe the answer is somewhere in between?

There are definitely some around. I saw yesterday a merkin was arrested for lighting 25 odd fires. He was a member of the local rural fire service. :rolleyes: I guess not unlike the creepy peodos who weezel their way into positions that work with children.

A merkin yesterday appeared in an NT court charged with lighting a dozen fires. How did he get caught ? He was under house arrest for sex crimes and his ankle bracelet (locator) placed him at the scene of the crime on each occasion. :)

I saw a report yesterday somewhere however that said of the 180 charged with fire related charges, the most were for disregarding total fire ban, the next bunch were for flicking bungers out of their cars etc and last 50 were for arson. Of the 50 charged with arson, 75% were juveniles.

This is anecdotal and unsourced but, so don't @ me.

Eelementary

Post Whore

I do think Morrison should have done more; however, the NSW State Government should have been hounding the Federal Government for assistance from day one.

Morrison made a lot of errors, but he is hardly on his Pat Malone - and I am no Morrison fan, tbh.

Gronk

Staff member
Can’t you just hear the keyboards across the country typing the words FAKE NEWS right now ?

Has anyone else come across the advice that your gutters should be blocked up and filled with water to prevent your house burning? Does that make any sense? To me it would only prevent the little bit behind the gutter catching alight. And that is already protected by the gutter anyway. Or is it just something that someone thought up and has zero evidence to back it up? Maybe it's just to make us feel more secure and like we're doing something.

Bazal

Post Whore
Has anyone else come across the advice that your gutters should be blocked up and filled with water to prevent your house burning? Does that make any sense? To me it would only prevent the little bit behind the gutter catching alight. And that is already protected by the gutter anyway. Or is it just something that someone thought up and has zero evidence to back it up? Maybe it's just to make us feel more secure and like we're doing something.

I always thought it was because embers can settle in the gutter and get in under the tiles or eaves tbh.

Like, landing on the roof tiles an ember is unlikely to to much damage but in a gutter it can get in the roof space a bit more?

Gronk

Staff member
I did exactly that when my Dad’s house was under ember attack abt 5 years ago at Umina Beach. I think the theory is that tiles don’t burn however if embers get into the gutters it can ignite loose leaves and quickly get into the roof via whatever the timber is called that the gutter attaches to.

upload_2020-1-9_21-56-24.png