What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Will Chambers' long day

Don Tweddle

Juniors

NRL 2021: Cronulla Sharks’ Will Chambers spent seven hours in car to save NRL season​

Will Chambers’ reveals his extraordinary story of self-isolation to try and keep the 2021 NRL season going.
David Riccio Exclusive

Will Chambers spent seven hours stuck in his car outside Shark Park — a sacrifice he says he made to keep the NRL competition going.

Provided coffee, water and salad wraps through his car window, the extraordinary story of self-isolation inside his car has emerged after the Cronulla centre was told his efforts were fruitless by the NRL’s biosecurity officers.

The 33-year-old has been ruled out of the competition for 14 days — and will miss the Sharks’ next two crucial matches.

Chambers’ efforts are in complete contrast to the arrogance shown by Queensland State of Origin forward Jai Arrow and 13 St George-Illawarra players, who all blatantly breached the game’s Covid-19 protocols, last week.

The former Storm star has pleaded with the NRL to review his situation, stating that he is willing to be Covid-19 tested every day to show that he is clean from the virus.

The saga began for Chambers after he was permitted to return to his home in Melbourne almost a fortnight ago for the birth of his baby daughter.

He and wife Bianca welcomed their baby girl last Monday.

As planned, Chambers flew back to Sydney on Thursday in readiness to play against the Warriors on Sunday afternoon.

“I’d come from Melbourne where there have been zero cases for seven days,’’ Chambers said.

“I left a three-day old daughter behind with my wife still in hospital so that I could get back for my footy team.

“I wasn’t out there doing anything bad.

“Coming from Melbourne, where there had been no cases, I thought I was still under level one protocols — not level four.”

Wearing a mask and logging his whereabouts into the official NRL Covid-19 phone app, Chambers flew into Sydney airport and was driven to Shark Park by Cronulla’s welfare officer Jeff Robson at 2.15pm.

That was when he was alerted by Project Apollo to an issue.

Chambers was told to sit-tight by the NRL.

It wasn’t until after dark at 7.45pm that he was informed that he had unwittingly burst the NRL Covid-19 bubble.

“I was told don’t get out of my car,’’ Chambers said.

“They (NRL) said they would get an answer for me on what my next step should be, so I sat patiently waiting.

“I knew that people (other players) had stuffed up in the game — but I didn’t want to wreck the competition, ruin the club’s reputation and my reputation.

“But because I spent less than 10 minutes inside Sydney airport — which I didn’t learn until I was sitting in my car, was a no-go zone. Honestly, it was 10 minutes.

“It was a mistake and a misunderstanding.

“It’s not an excuse, but I wasn’t involved in the bubble last year (due to being overseas playing Japanese rugby), so

I’m one player that is still getting used to the intricate details around the rules.

“What’s frustrating is, I was honest and upfront the whole way through and yet I’ve still been bitten by it.’’

Asked how he felt sitting inside his car for so long, Chambers said: “It was what I had to do, you just deal with it.

“I face-timed my wife and just waited.‘’

News Corp spoke to Chambers as he drove for 10 hours back to Melbourne on Friday.

He drove directly to a Covid-19 testing facility upon crossing the Victorian border.

He will be isolated for the next 14-days, but hopes the NRL can review his case.

“I did everything that was asked of me and I will continue to do everything required — I’d get tested every day if that gets me back quicker,’’ Chambers said.

“You have to remember I was in a state where there have been no cases.

“I won’t fly back to Sydney next time, I’ll drive back by myself.’’

Chambers said he would use his home treadmill, exercise bike and purchase weights to keep fit during isolation.

“I want to get back as soon as I can for my footy team so we can make a run for the finals,” Chambers said.

Feki is bae

Juniors
/You've got to feel for the bloke. Did everything right

Is anyone else wondering if he had to take a piss in the water bottle?

R-15-3

Bench
Wouldn’t be surprised if he sits out the next month or retires with the restrictions and moving to QLD

/You've got to feel for the bloke. Did everything right

Is anyone else wondering if he had to take a piss in the water bottle?

It's not that easy. I've tried.

Yeah - the bottle has to have a really wide opening…

Or is that just me?!?

🤣🤣🤣
As a professional who went around Australia for three years, first half in a Valiant Safari, second half in a Bedford Campervan.... Its the good ole Sun Valley One Litre Orange Juice glass bottles with a tight lid that get you out of trouble every time.
My piss is scattered all over from Cooktown to Perth, and Beyond...

bluefox68

Staff member
As a professional who went around Australia for three years, first half in a Valiant Safari, second half in a Bedford Campervan.... Its the good ole Sun Valley One Litre Orange Juice glass bottles with a tight lid that get you out of trouble every time.
My piss is scattered all over from Cooktown to Perth, and Beyond...
Along with that of a thousand truckies’…

Frenzy.

Immortal
Nathan Brown has a good point.

Why does Sharks Will 2 get 2 weeks for doing the right thing, 2 Warriors get 2 weeks for being in the wrong place at the wrong time but legally yet bunch of turds from St George get 1 week for flagrant breaches?

Stake Removed

First Grade
After Nathan Brown made those comments all factual, I could see the dragqueens saying he was one of ours, well actually one who seen the light.
But he was right on the mark, and to top it off Griffin will decide which players miss which game, that should have been NRL saying it's this 5 for this game, not the coach

Tiger Shark

Bench
What's going to happen to Chambers?

QLD from Sat are declaring VIC a hotspot and I understand he went back down there for the 2 week isolation.

Knowing his dedication he's probably going to get out of there quick smart

snout

First Grade
Nathan Brown has a good point.

Why does Sharks Will 2 get 2 weeks for doing the right thing, 2 Warriors get 2 weeks for being in the wrong place at the wrong time but legally yet bunch of turds from St George get 1 week for flagrant breaches?
Theyre different situations.
One is a community 'law' at the moment regarding quarantine. The other is a penalty.

If the goons went to the airport out of their bubble like chambers they would be doing the 2 week quarantine.
But they stayed with the company of their incestual, banjo playing bubble. So only the penalty is issued. Some got a week. 3 strikes vaughan got 8.

However.... the goons were spotted arriving with cases of beer so obviously went to a bottlo. This is one one of the 4 allowances - but is it for the players? Are they just training/playing and home.