What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Other games

Iamback

Coach
Don’t let your own agendas get in the way of the simple statement that I made.

I simply said Wade Egan is a much better player now than he was with us!!!!

I didn’t suggest we bring him back, didn’t allude to his being elite or top 4 dummy halves in the game I just said he is playing well and to add to that is now an established NRL player so sorry if I am pleased for him.

Just giving a former Panther a wrap.

I never said you did but we let Api go to keep others. Unless a hooker will make us better than no point bringing them here. Given the cost

Iamback

Coach
So dogs have $700k to spend across 5 spots.

That is without Burton's payrise.. interesting times

Kilkenny

Coach
And why did we not match the money?

It was the length of both deals (Kikau included) which our club were not prepared to match.

The brains trust suggested they were confident of retaining both Api and Viliame so it is disappointing we were not able to retain either.

it is what it is, and to both players credit they have both delivered thus far in there last season at our club.

Iamback

Coach
It was the length of both deals (Kikau included) which our club were not prepared to match.

The brains trust suggested they were confident of retaining both Api and Viliame so it is disappointing we were not able to retain either.

it is what it is, and to both players credit they have both delivered thus far in there last season at our club.

Which we could of matched if we wanted. The flow on is we have Kenny and Luke doing it for cheap. Looks like Connor Mason is behind them.

To go and bring in a hooker costs more than those 3 in total cost. Personally I think it was a mistake but time will tell

Kilkenny

Coach
Which we could of matched if we wanted. The flow on is we have Kenny and Luke doing it for cheap. Looks like Connor Mason is behind them.

To go and bring in a hooker costs more than those 3 in total cost. Personally I think it was a mistake but time will tell

We’ll find out in 2023.

We’ll find out in 2023.
Not just 2023, but also 2024 and 2025 when those players are getting towards the back end of their next deals.

Building something sustainable means getting out a year too early rather than a year to late and then trusting your processes. We’ll see over the coming years whether the last few years we just caught lightning in a bottle (which we have done before), or whether this time we really do become a consistent heavyweight, but signing ageing players on long and expensive contracts would definitely have undone the good work done previously.

Abacus

Juniors
I'd absolutely bring Egan back if he was available. IMO, he's a better hooker than Kenny or Luke. Whether he is Top 4 is irrelevant - if we're not signing Grant, Api, Cook or Robson then Egan is in the next tier & capable of taking the next step in the Panthers system.

Iamback

Coach

Not just 2023, but also 2024 and 2025 when those players are getting towards the back end of their next deals.

Building something sustainable means getting out a year too early rather than a year to late and then trusting your processes. We’ll see over the coming years whether the last few years we just caught lightning in a bottle (which we have done before), or whether this time we really do become a consistent heavyweight, but signing ageing players on long and expensive contracts would definitely have undone the good work done previously.

Cowboys 2015 was perfect example.

Didn't make the right calls and lost Ponga, Brandon Smith etc. It is a fine line between staying loyal with the senior guys and getting new blood in

Iamback

Coach
I'd absolutely bring Egan back if he was available. IMO, he's a better hooker than Kenny or Luke. Whether he is Top 4 is irrelevant - if we're not signing Grant, Api, Cook or Robson then Egan is in the next tier & capable of taking the next step in the Panthers system.

Atm he is better but what gives the side best chance of success? Paying $400k on a hooker or trying to develop one.

I think we drop next year but we stay a force longer due to keeping the backline together for longer

BxTom

Bench
Agree, he may not be top 4 at present, but in our system with another pre season and more experience, he will develop. He is probably the best available (sort of).

Abacus

Juniors
Atm he is better but what gives the side best chance of success? Paying $400k on a hooker or trying to develop one.

I think we drop next year but we stay a force longer due to keeping the backline together for longer
Easy, pay for a hooker rather than risk the next season or 2 that we have the bulk of the team together. Hooker is too critical a role these days to be praying to the footy gods for rapid development of a running lock or a perennially injured former half.

Iamback

Coach
Easy, pay for a hooker rather than risk the next season or 2 that we have the bulk of the team together. Hooker is too critical a role these days to be praying to the footy gods for rapid development of a running lock or a perennially injured former half.

Hooker is too critical correct but it is a guess as too if they fit the system. Less risk to develop someone to be better

Munky

Coach
The Storm are cooked.

Pap is busted and the outside backs they'll be starting next week will barely be first grade quality (except Olam).

If Manly and Cronulla could kick goals they have let in eighty points the past two weeks.

Abacus

Juniors
Hooker is too critical correct but it is a guess as too if they fit the system. Less risk to develop someone to be better
How are you assessing risk - performance over a particular timeframe?

In comparing Egan with those already on our books, he's already progressed from bench hooker during his time here (behind @martielang jnr) to a regular 60+ minute starting hooker. I'd be confident he'd adapt to the Panthers system given his history here and familiarity with the players. Seems pretty low risk to me, but maybe we have differing ideas of risk.

Iamback

Coach
How are you assessing risk - performance over a particular timeframe?

In comparing Egan with those already on our books, he's already progressed from bench hooker during his time here (behind @martielang jnr) to a regular 60+ minute starting hooker. I'd be confident he'd adapt to the Panthers system given his history here and familiarity with the players. Seems pretty low risk to me, but maybe we have differing ideas of risk.

The players ceiling, You won't replace an elite 9 on the market.

We could of re-signed Api but no way we keep To'o, Critter etc.

What did Api go for $700k? As a top hooker who covered 80 mins.

Egan is on say $400k plays 60 mins. So you need Kenny to go with that for $200k.

So have weakened hooker to save $100k

Luke is probably $100k
Kenny $200k

Realistically can match what Egan would give you. The savings used elsewhere Tago and May - who you likely lose in the Egan/Kenny double

Latest posts