What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Our backline

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
From memory Im struggling to come up with a worse backline in their present form than has ever been assembled in the Red V .....we lack skills, enthusiasm,composure,shape,structure,speed,acceleration and set moves than I have ever witnessed in all my years as a supporter of this club.....at times I cannot believe that this keeps unfolding week after week and still nothing changes...Ive left the forwards alone for the present although without going into detail most of them have become predictable plodders of late

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
From memory Im struggling to come up with a worse backline in their present form than has ever been assembled in the Red V .....we lack skills, enthusiasm,composure,shape,structure,speed,acceleration and set moves than I have ever witnessed in all my years as a supporter of this club.....at times I cannot believe that this keeps unfolding week after week and still nothing changes...Ive left the forwards alone for the present although without going into detail most of them have become predictable plodders of late
Thought the same watching the game last night. Part of the problem is Widdop delivering hospital passes, part is standing so flat they have no space to do anything, and part is yes they are pretty ordinary and particularly useless under the high ball. I was impressed by Mann's two tries however - he seems to be a contortionist in being able to get the ball down.

Old Timer

Coach

Yep it is just about as bad a 1- 7 as we have ever had.

Interesting when Harry Bath won the comps in 77 & 79 the backlines were not all that good to begin with either but he was just able to get it all moulded together and he got the very best out of everyone of them and especially at the business end of the season.

Remember how people talked about Brian Johnson being suspect in defence and Rod McGregor only a tackling machine, Graham Quinn too slow etc etc well all the experts had to eat lots of crow.

The forwards were all very young as well but Harry believed in the youth and made it work.

Long live Bath's Babes

Wittenberg

Juniors
My dad always talked about Quinn being one of our best centres, tough, a brick wall in defence and always put a support in a hole.

Ben_Kusto_magic

Juniors
They play so flat no one in that backline has any time. It actually illustrates what promise Aitken has as he has been a bit of a shining light.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Thought the same watching the game last night. Part of the problem is Widdop delivering hospital passes, part is standing so flat they have no space to do anything, and part is yes they are pretty ordinary and particularly useless under the high ball. I was impressed by Mann's two tries however - he seems to be a contortionist in being able to get the ball down.

Yes thought Mann was a stand out last night...only slight but really gave it his best shot ....under the right coach I think he may turn out ok...watched his last 2 games for Melbourne in the centres and was quietly impressed with his commitment...having said that he was under Bellamy in those days

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
They play so flat no one in that backline has any time. It actually illustrates what promise Aitken has as he has been a bit of a shining light.

Yes Aitkens ok...although Ive been a little disappointed in his form of late, but as you say gets no clean ball most of the time....while Dugans out would like to see Mann go to fullback and Milne & Aitken in the centres...problem is Widdop and Marshalls forms are ordinary

Dragon Revival

Juniors
In 2010 the backline was
Boyd
Nightingale
Cooper
Gasnier
Morris
Hornby
Soward
In 2016
Dugan
Fai Fai Loa
Aitkin
Lafai
Nightingale
Widdop
Marshall
The 2010 backline is at least twice as good as the 2016 backline. Surely this is obvious to the coaches and the management who should be promoting speed, skill and ability to defuse bombs and
score tries.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade

Interesting when Harry Bath won the comps in 77 & 79 the backlines were not all that good to begin with either but he was just able to get it all moulded together and he got the very best out of everyone of them and especially at the business end of the season.

Remember how people talked about Brian Johnson being suspect in defence and Rod McGregor only a tackling machine, Graham Quinn too slow etc etc well all the experts had to eat lots of crow.

The forwards were all very young as well but Harry believed in the youth and made it work.

Long live Bath's Babes

As I said OT the worst backline in their present form....like Harry Bath .thats what good coaches can do get players to perform above their capability ...unfortunately we don't have a coach that can do that...as for the players we had the Smiths, Bugdens, Bransons,Trudgetts, Hawthornes,Pigskins, Maddisons, Clays,,Gasniers Langlands etc......whatever the opposition they all new the way to the try line....they didn't go sideways just guile and footwork and acceleration

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
In 2010 the backline was
Boyd
Nightingale
Cooper
Gasnier
Morris
Hornby
Soward
In 2016
Dugan
Fai Fai Loa
Aitkin
Lafai
Nightingale
Widdop
Marshall
The 2010 backline is at least twice as good as the 2016 backline. Surely this is obvious to the coaches and the management who should be promoting speed, skill and ability to defuse bombs and
score tries.

Good post

Dragonscales

Juniors
1. Dugan
2. Loa
3. Aitken
4. Lafai
5. Nightingale
6. Widdop*
7. Marshall

Bolded player's need to be replaced. * on Widdop as he may be a victim of his captaincy and poor coaching.

Loa - Replace with an internal Junior, Herbert, Dufty or Garrick.
Lafai - Sign externally, Probably would have to wait for 2017.
Marshall - Sign externally, Corey Norman preferably for this year.

I'm not sure of Mann, maybe we should give him a run at 6.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
1. Dugan
2. Loa
3. Aitken
4. Lafai
5. Nightingale
6. Widdop*
7. Marshall

Bolded player's need to be replaced. * on Widdop as he may be a victim of his captaincy and poor coaching.

Like all above but unfortunately, garrick might be out long term. Mybe coast will know how long.

Dragsters

First Grade

Long live Bath's Babes

Loved the Penguin and that tidy flick pass he had :)

Finch and Quinn, right up there with coops and Gaz in my book!

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
1. Dugan
2. Loa
3. Aitken
4. Lafai
5. Nightingale
6. Widdop*
7. Marshall

Forget the * on Widdop. He hasn't had a decent game since game three against Souths. What's more he acts like he doesn't care. He's got to go.