What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Our best and worst captain and coach and why FFS?

betcats

Referee
People might disagree with this but in hindsight I don't think Petero was a great captain or maybe just not the type of captain we needed at that point.

Guys like Kingston and even Wallace obviously are no where near Petero as players but id rate them as better captains, when we were losing or playing really poorly you never Petero trying to fire the boys up etc.

roofromoz

First Grade
Best coach - Gould.

Worst coach - statistically, probably anyone pre-Sheens, but to be fair to them it wasn't really until the mid-1980s that we had a competitive team. There were a range of factors that contributed to the poor results we generally had from 1967 to 1984. So it's probably better to have it post-1985. Therefore I would say Elliott... seemed to go backwards under his tutelage.

Best captain - maybe Gower, don't have a strong opinion.

Worst captain - ummm... don't know.

roofromoz

First Grade
Worst.........take your pick. Both pre-1980's.

So... narrowing it down:

COACHES:
- Leo Trevena
- Bob Boland
- Jack Clare
- Mick Stephenson
- Barry Harris
- Len Stacker

CAPTAINS
- Tony Brown
- Laurie Fagan
- Bob Boland
- Grahame Moran
- Ian McKechnie
- Noel Sing
- Ron Lynch
- Mick Stephenson
- Bill Ashurst
- Zac Olejarnik
- Bob O'Reilly
- Ken Wilson
- Phil Gould
- Gary Pethybridge
- John Ryan

TheFrog

Coach
Gould seems to win Best Coach.
Worst coach I would go for John Peard. Followed Stacker who made good progress with a very poor side, and took the club backwards. Jack Clare would win hands down, but he was only a puppet coach. Roy Masters was the real coach and if he'd been able to run things his way and buy the players who wanted to play under him, we'd have made the finals well before 1980.
Best captain Royce Simmons, who was inspirational.
Worst captain, hmmm, Tony Puletua. The job was dumped in his lap after Gower got in trouble, he never wanted it. Luke Lewis turned out to be not up to the job as well.

roofromoz

First Grade
Roy Masters was initially seen as the coach for 1974 after having success with the Australian Schoolboys, but in the club's "wisdom" a 4 man coaching panel was formed as there were concerns that Masters could not cut it as a rookie coach. Clare was indeed a puppet.

sparky34

Juniors
Best, Brandy captain, Gould coach.
Worst, really to big a field to chose from.
Remember ( i might not be as bid as Mal etc etc ) Got to luv Brandy.
In 03 we had a better team but probably not a better captain and coach, still Gower and Lang were special also.

panther.mike

Juniors
Worst would-be captain----Bill Ashurst. wanted to be captain because his transfer was worth more than Mike Stephenson, when he didn,t get it he spat the dummy and caught the first plane back to the old dart. [reminds me of a recent captain]

Dodgy

Juniors
Hi. RL amateur fan from Melbourne here.

I'm not going to pretend to be a know it all. From my limited knowledge of the club's history, I find it hard to split both premieship captains as best. You'd be doing an injustice to the other if you picked one, don't you think?

For best coach? You might say Gus Gould because of his overall connection to Penrith. But on the other hand, Lang's effort to get the 2003 premiership is one of the all time great seasons, without trying to blow the trumpet too loudly.

Worst captain? I wouldn't know.
Worst coach? Without knowing better. Elliot did have a fair run at it, to produce little. Despite a good season in 2010.

Munted

Bench
Best Jamie Soward
Remember him using those shotguns to get everyone to focus

hah, love this.
Its been proven the shotguns actually advanced us deeper into 2014 then we were destined for.

Watch the dragons send an SOS to Sowie in 2017, they will request he also brings the shot guns.

GongPanther

Referee
Being captain of a side means nothing but for someone to front the media,and to be the first to lead a side out onto the field and pester the refs when questioning the rulings that don't go your way.

A coach instructs the captain in how to get under the skin of certain refs after pulling penalties all day.

But seriously,Tim Sheens is our best ever coach.His record speaks for it post Penrith era.I reckon we would have won more titles with Sheens at the Panthers if he would have stayed.Best captain...Mick Stephenson.

darkbloom

Juniors
While Gould did very well with a very talented team in 1991, coaching is much much more than what happens on the field. What happens off the field is just as or even more important - Lang was exceptional in leading the team in all of their responsibilities.

For that reason I'd say Lang was a far better coach. I think there'd even be an argument that he got just as a good a result as Gould despite having a team that was not that highly regarded. So on both counts - coaching for on field results and off field performance Lang wins hands down for me.

Latest posts