What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Our Coaching Structure

forward pass

Coach
Can someone explain the coaching setup at our club. Is Steve Murphy our attack coach? What are his credentials?

It seems most clubs have outstanding assistant coaches but us. Trent Barrett at Penrith, Demetriou at Souths, Fitzgibbon at Roosters, Flanagan at Dragons and so on. There’s also Dymock, Cartwright, McFadden etc.

Is BA threatened by other coaches around him? I keep thinking If BA was sacked or hit by COVID, who the hell would take over? Kidwell?

BA needs help desperately and he doesn’t seem to be getting any. Our attacking coach HAS to go. Our attack is atrocious - Made worse by the fact BA is in complete denial about our attacking shortfalls. Total denial.

Have I got this right? This has been bugging me for a while.

lucablight

First Grade
I posted this in another topic but every season we seem to have either good attack/bad defence or bad defence/good attack under Brad Arthur. I can’t figure out why.

Noise

Coach
Murphy is in charge of our attack. Obviously he is an absolute genius at this facet of the game. BA couldn’t be happier with what he has produced while he has been at our club which must be why he keeps him around. It won’t be long now until Murphy is snatched up for a head coaching role. We will miss him.

Avenger

Immortal
I heard a thing about BA today which I found interesting. A mate of mine knows one of his colleagues. He disclosed that BA is a person who lives, breathes, and thinks nothing but footy. And all he talks about is footy. He is a workaholic, which is an honorable trait but constant focus to just one single thing cannot be healthy. Another independent source of mine told me he is a great bloke but sometimes just way too intense who due to his incredible work ethic cannot seem to switch off.

Maybe a guy like this needs more influential assistants that can take some of the burden and expectation from impatient fans like me. It seemed to work with the addition of our new recruitment manager when he took some responsibility away from Arthur. Methinks and I'm only speculating, that maybe he is a bit of a control freak which could be his ultimate undoing. I hope I'm wrong because I'd like to win another premiership before I get dementia.

Last edited:

Gazzamatta

Coach
Murphy is in charge of our attack. Obviously he is an absolute genius at this facet of the game. BA couldn’t be happier with what he has produced while he has been at our club which must be why he keeps him around. It won’t be long now until Murphy is snatched up for a head coaching role. We will miss him.
I fu*ken wont.
Lets not forget the boys are playing to the head coaches game plan.
Keep charging through the middle and hope the opposition tire before you do. Dont drop the ball and dont miss a tackle. If we do all that we should sneak home at the end.
Based on that we really dont need an attack coach.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Attack: 19.9 ppg (9th)
Defence: 24.2 ppg (13th)

A: 18.7 (12th)
D: 23.9 (13th)

A: 19.3 (12th)
D: 18.5 (5th)

A: 20.7 (8th)
D: 19.0 (8th)

A: 15.6 (16th)
D: 22.9 (13th)

A: 22.2 (3rd)
D: 19.7 (7th)

2020 (after 17 rounds)
A: 19.8 (9th)
D: 13.6 (=3rd)

None of the above include finals. What does it all mean? I dunno. I thought it might be insightful but it isn't.

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Peter Gentle had some interesting things to say about assistant coaching:

But that is fine with the quiet achiever, who played a handful of games for St George in the late 1980s and has an interesting take on the modern-day coach.

"Not a chance ... he (whoever gets it) can have the head coaching role, I just want to coach, not do all this sort of stuff," he said in reference to his weekly pre-game press conference.

"I was head coach in Hull for a couple of years, it takes you away from the actual hands-on coaching.

"There's a lot of peripheral stuff, but as assistant coach you're dealing with the players one-on-one, you're nobody and that's fine by me.

"You're actually coaching, whereas now a head coach is more and more like the (English) Premier League manager, so I prefer this side of it."

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/6907295/coach-not-interested-in-managing-broncos/?cs=14238

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
What might also be insightful, from a coaching standpoint, is Moses' form last year compared to this year.

Per game:
Runs
2019: 5.23
2020: 6.71

Tackle breaks
2019: 1.85
2020: 1

Line breaks
2019: 0.27
2020: 0.21

LBAs
2019: 0.69
2020: 0.29

Try assists
2019: 0.92
2020: 0.36

lucablight

First Grade
I heard a thing about BA today which I found interesting. A mate of mine knows one of his colleagues. He disclosed that BA is a person who lives, breathes, and thinks nothing but footy. And all he talks about is footy. He is a workaholic, which is an honorable trait but constant focus to just one single thing cannot be healthy. Another independent source of mine told me he is a great bloke but sometimes just way too intense who due to his incredible work ethic cannot seem to switch off.

Maybe a guy like this needs more influential assistants that can take some of the burden and expectation from impatient fans like me. It seemed to work with the addition of our new recruitment manager when he took some responsibility away from Arthur. Methinks and I'm only speculating, that maybe he is a bit of a control freak which could be his ultimate undoing. I hope I'm wrong because I'd like to win another premiership before I get dementia.
If he’s a control freak then it just makes the flaccid attack even more perplexing. This team doesn’t look like it’s had someone meticulously prepare them on how to attack an opposition goal line. We seem to try and beat the opposition through high effort and then having an individual do something after wearing them down rather than anything that’s deliberate and calculated.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Murphy helped win a spoon at the Titans and was a touch coach, maybe he should go back to touch???

Bea Arthur would never hire anyone who is a threat to his job thats plain to see that he surrounds himself with nobodies. We had a bloke like Holbrook at the club and instead of making him an assistant he happily watches him waltz out the door while good old Murph hangs around the joint like a bad smell.

hineyrulz

Post Whore

2020 (after 17 rounds)

None of the above include finals. What does it all mean? I dunno. I thought it might be insightful but it isn't.
Only once has our attack been above 8th in all that time, and you wonder what it means???

And in that time we had some great attacking players as well, Hayne,Norman,Semi,Moses,Fergo,Jennings,Sivo until he got Dire wolf aids etc etc.

Noise

Coach

2020 (after 17 rounds)

It means our attack has been hot garbage for the most part.

forward pass

Coach
The other genius thing BA did was bring in Andrew Johns to coach the halves. Moses looks totally confused as to his role now. He is holding back as he has been told to do. He has regressed significantly this season.

forward pass

Coach
What might also be insightful, from a coaching standpoint, is Moses' form last year compared to this year.

Per game:
Runs
2019: 5.23
2020: 6.71

Tackle breaks
2019: 1.85
2020: 1

Line breaks
2019: 0.27
2020: 0.21

LBAs
2019: 0.69
2020: 0.29

Try assists
2019: 0.92
2020: 0.36

Moses does not seem to play 2 good seasons in a row. He has one year on, one off.

2017 - Good
2018 - Poor
2019 - very good
2020 - Poor

T-Boon

Coach
Our season last year to this year seems to have gone as Fergo has gone. He was excellent last year and he is horrible this year.

T-Boon

Coach
Peter Gentle had some interesting things to say about assistant coaching:

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/6907295/coach-not-interested-in-managing-broncos/?cs=14238

That is interesting. However if an assistant coach isn't prepared to do media they should not coach at NRL level, they sound to me like the faceless wrestling coaches etc who are ruining the game and are not accountable to anyone about it.
The head coach should be required to introduce his assistance to the fans and get them to do a bit of media each week.
I've never heard of this guy Steven Murphy. I actually had started to assume we don't have an attack coach. Make him do some media.

Latest posts