What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Our Defense - an area unaddressed

Dragonslayer

First Grade
One aspect, of many, has been the continued deterioration of our defense this year. In fact it has been deplorable a times.
Round​
Versus​
Missed/Ineffect​
Errors​
Round​
Versus​
Missed/Ineffect​
Errors​
1​
Sharks (L)​
42/6
15​
10​
Storm (L)​
35/23​
8​
2​
Cowboys (W)​
27/12
12​
11​
Sharks (L)​
36/11​
13​
3​
Manly (W)​
34/26​
8​
12​
Tigers (L)​
28/13​
12​
4​
Knights (W)​
28/14
16​
13​
Broncos (W)​
22/22
9​
5​
Eels (W)​
35/16​
8​
14​
Dogs (L)​
34/11​
12​
6​
Warriors (L)​
41/13
10​
15​
Raiders (W)​
25/18
10​
7​
Roosters (L)​
33/24​
7​
16​
Warriors (W)​
37/20​
12​
8​
Tigers (L)​
45/27
11​
18​
Manly (L)​
45/10
14​
9​
Dogs (W)​
24/16
16​
19​
Titans (L)​
47/29
13​

618 missed tackles in 18 games at a tad over 34 a game.
5 games where we had over 40 missed tackles and we (obviously) lost those games. Particularly disturbing has been the last 2 weeks since the BBQ affair. 2 losses and missed tackles at 45 and 47 respectively.

When we have won games the missed tackle count is under 30. Yes a couple of anomalies eg: the Eels game, however our error rate was low that game in comparison. It also appears how lucky we were to beat the Warriors in round 16, and how in the hell did we lose the Tigers game in round 12!

How we are in the 8, and have been for some time, only points to how bad the teams below us were performing early in their seasons, however, some, like the Raiders and to a lesser extent, the Titans, are starting their runs to the finals, whilst we are hanging by a thread, we know sign of improving against the opposition over the final 6 rounds.

For me, the age of our roster is a contributing factor. Tried and true players, but on weary legs. I'm not going to be into Hook for his recruitment choices, as some had to made, and some currently on our roster need to cycle through and then out. In saying that, our young forwards aren't currently getting game time in either KOE Cup or JF, and with most missing last season also, their development is at least now 18 months in arrears.

I like the signings of Molo and Sua, and maybe GB. The will add something to help fix this defensive disaster, albeit next year. It was probably why we were into Finucane also.

Hook has to push past the 'old guard' mentality, especially next year, if we are to see any finals football, as old legs fatigue faster than they did even a year ago. I think we saw that in today's game.

We won't win another game until our defense is addressed, it can happen, we can see that when we do, we win quite well. Where does it go in between wins is the question Hook & Co must answer.

BLM01

First Grade
One aspect, of many, has been the continued deterioration of our defense this year. In fact it has been deplorable a times.
Round​
Versus​
Missed/Ineffect​
Errors​
Round​
Versus​
Missed/Ineffect​
Errors​
1​
Sharks (L)​
42/6
15​
10​
Storm (L)​
35/23​
8​
2​
Cowboys (W)​
27/12
12​
11​
Sharks (L)​
36/11​
13​
3​
Manly (W)​
34/26​
8​
12​
Tigers (L)​
28/13​
12​
4​
Knights (W)​
28/14
16​
13​
Broncos (W)​
22/22
9​
5​
Eels (W)​
35/16​
8​
14​
Dogs (L)​
34/11​
12​
6​
Warriors (L)​
41/13
10​
15​
Raiders (W)​
25/18
10​
7​
Roosters (L)​
33/24​
7​
16​
Warriors (W)​
37/20​
12​
8​
Tigers (L)​
45/27
11​
18​
Manly (L)​
45/10
14​
9​
Dogs (W)​
24/16
16​
19​
Titans (L)​
47/29
13​

5 games where we had over 40 missed tackles and we (obviously) lost those games. Particularly disturbing has been the last 2 weeks since the BBQ affair. 2 losses and missed tackles at 45 and 47 respectively.

When we have won games the missed tackle count is under 30. Yes a couple of anomalies eg: the Eels game, however our error rate was low that game in comparison. It also appears how lucky we were to beat the Warriors in round 16, and how in the hell did we lose the Tigers game in round 12!

How we are in the 8, and have been for some time, only points to how bad the teams below us were performing early in their seasons, however, some, like the Raiders and to a lesser extent, the Titans, are starting their runs to the finals, whilst we are hanging by a thread, we know sign of improving against the opposition over the final 6 rounds.

For me, the age of our roster is a contributing factor. Tried and true players, but on weary legs. I'm not going to be into Hook for his recruitment choices, as some had to made, and some currently on our roster need to cycle through and then out. In saying that, our young forwards aren't currently getting game time in either KOE Cup or JF, and with most missing last season also, their development is at least now 18 months in arrears.

I like the signings of Molo and Sua, and maybe GB. The will add something to help fix this defensive disaster, albeit next year. It was probably why we were into Finucane also.

Hook has to push past the 'old guard' mentality, especially next year, if we are to see any finals football, as old legs fatigue faster than they did even a year ago. I think we saw that in today's game.

We won't win another game until our defense is addressed, it can happen, we can see that when we do, we win quite well. Where does it go in between wins is the question Hook & Co must answer.
The missed tackle stat is an over reaction from all
The way they do this stat stuff is fine but not the be all and end all
The new rules and weight of possession and / or momentum kills teams and blows this stuff out
It may be fact
BTW Penrith missed 66 last night and still won

blacksafake

First Grade
Round​
Versus​
Missed/Ineffect​
Errors​
Round​
Versus​
Missed/Ineffect​
Errors​
1​
Sharks (L)​
42/6
15​
10​
Storm (L)​
35/23​
8​
2​
Cowboys (W)​
27/12
12​
11​
Sharks (L)​
36/11​
13​
3​
Manly (W)​
34/26​
8​
12​
Tigers (L)​
28/13​
12​
4​
Knights (W)​
28/14
16​
13​
Broncos (W)​
22/22
9​
5​
Eels (W)​
35/16​
8​
14​
Dogs (L)​
34/11​
12​
6​
Warriors (L)​
41/13
10​
15​
Raiders (W)​
25/18
10​
7​
Roosters (L)​
33/24​
7​
16​
Warriors (W)​
37/20​
12​
8​
Tigers (L)​
45/27
11​
18​
Manly (L)​
45/10
14​
9​
Dogs (W)​
24/16
16​
19​
Titans (L)​
47/29
13​

As usual @Dragonslayer you raise some good points. Especially the younger forwards not getting any game time.

thebigredv

First Grade
The stats don't lie and they ain't pretty. Our shape in defence is all wrong. I don't pretend to know the ins and outs of game day defensive strategies but I know you don't put Ramsey where Fifita can run at him, and we just allow easy metres right up the middle each and every week, or we pedal back at the edges. Hard to watch whether its against the best team or the team running last.

One upside is we are yet to pass the 50 point mark though I think the Rabbits, Panthers or Roosters will see to that soon enough.

Griffin has not been able to name the same team two weeks in a row this year if I am not mistaken so its little wonder in some respects.

sigh

True_Believer

Juniors
Outcoached ?
Quite possibly. Having him on the bench turned out to be a good strategy because you can look at the opposition and determine where best to play him AFTER watching the game for a bit. Not to mention he probably already had an idea of where best to put him straight away following the naming of the teams.

True_Believer

Juniors
His standard drop started the rot in the 2nd half…
Well that was a series of events there. We had a great defensive effort first set which Dufty ended up dropping the kick. Their first set we had Bird incorrectly called out for stripping in-goal which then gave them another set which led to the try.

I'm not normally one to blame the refs, and again it comes down to our poor control and defence, but god that ref and the bunker was atrocious.

redv13

Bench
Well that was a series of events there. We had a great defensive effort first set which Dufty ended up dropping the kick. Their first set we had Bird incorrectly called out for stripping in-goal which then gave them another set which led to the try.

I'm not normally one to blame the refs, and again it comes down to our poor control and defence, but god that ref and the bunker was atrocious.
The bunker was Steve Chiddy. Not the 1st time he’s killed us this season…

dungay dragon

Juniors
Round​
Versus​
Missed/Ineffect​
Errors​
Round​
Versus​
Missed/Ineffect​
Errors​
1​
Sharks (L)​
42/6
15​
10​
Storm (L)​
35/23​
8​
2​
Cowboys (W)​
27/12
12​
11​
Sharks (L)​
36/11​
13​
3​
Manly (W)​
34/26​
8​
12​
Tigers (L)​
28/13​
12​
4​
Knights (W)​
28/14
16​
13​
Broncos (W)​
22/22
9​
5​
Eels (W)​
35/16​
8​
14​
Dogs (L)​
34/11​
12​
6​
Warriors (L)​
41/13
10​
15​
Raiders (W)​
25/18
10​
7​
Roosters (L)​
33/24​
7​
16​
Warriors (W)​
37/20​
12​
8​
Tigers (L)​
45/27
11​
18​
Manly (L)​
45/10
14​
9​
Dogs (W)​
24/16
16​
19​
Titans (L)​
47/29
13​

DS can u get stats on how LAWRIE is going with the Six Again restarts ?
Must be a runaway leader at the moment
Along with missed tackles , about the only thing we are leading in LOL

Dragon David

First Grade
Well to be fair, that probably was an unknown. Fifita normally plays on the other side of the field so going into the game we wouldn't have expected Ramsay to be lining up against Fifita.
Holbrook set the trap well and truly and out coached Hook. I don't know how long Ramsey will be out with the injury he suffered in yesterdays game but when he does return, I hope it is not at centre.

Our defensive flaws have been an issue for some weeks now. Hook knows that our defence has been poor. Why hasn't he done more about it? Are our players just ignoring instructions or are they just not caring? Hook has got to find the solution quick smart.

I think Trent Merrin could see we were going to have problems and realised that the game has changed too much for him to keep playing. Maybe a few of our other guys need to think the same.

When you look hard at our playing squad, including the ones serving suspensions, what do you see? Not much is what I see.

Latest posts