What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Our dirt average winger...

black_dot

Juniors
It might be irrelevant. If Mat King comes home, he will go into the centres next year, simmo to fullback, mellor to wing.

MightySharks

Bench
ShireKing said:
OK, tumbleweed signing in

I've had some slightly more important and enjoyable things to be doing than replying to someone who has been huffing too much fly spray

Merritt does dominate PL
I used to believe Mellor was best in the centres and ridiculed Anderson for putting him on the wing but it turned out Ando was right. I like Mellor on the wing to run the ball back and for relief at dummy half. He's also big and strong and runs hard, unlike Simmons. He's also a superior defender.

McGoldrick has better defence than Simmons and I simply would have more confidence in him at critical times than I would in Simmons. Seems we are top 4 bound and I dont want a person in our team whose defence relies on him being constantly coached by Vagana/Peachey/whoever.

If you reckon McGoldrick is invisible, well I believe Simmons' main asset to the team is finishing, not creating. He's good at getting on the end of an overlap or running and outjumping a bloke who is waiting for the ball to get to the ground but he doesnt create much himself. I think Goldy could do the same, if not more than Simmons.

I'm not a Simmons "hater" for the sake of it. I just dont think he is what we need in our team on the wing this year in the finals, and I dont think he will ever be sufficient at fullback when Peachey gets bumped out of the club (as it seems the Sharks cant wait to do at the end of this year, just like last year).

Are you serious? McGoldrick had the worst defence in the NRL in 2004!

black_dot said:
It might be irrelevant. If Mat King comes home, he will go into the centres next year, simmo to fullback, mellor to wing.

I think Mellor might really struggle to find a regular place in the team next year.
Raper might just use him as a bench player to cover a few positions and make an impact for a short burst. I think he's starting to struggle to play the full 80minutes and vunerable towards the end of halves.

Dread

Juniors
Thought it important to dredge this one up... another week, another very solid display from Simmons.

Scored a try from almost nothing.
Defused a helluva bomb.
More solid tackles.

Discuss.

Sutho_Sharks

Juniors
Yep, a very good effort by Simmons. He had to step up with Merritt in form, and he did. The channel 9 crew certainly have big raps on him, especially on his defence with Vagana - something people think he isnt to crash hot at. The try was also good, created something from nothing and showed great speed!! Covell also played well, kicking was ordinary though.

MightySharks

Bench
That tackle with 5 mins to go he came in when they had the overlap and smashed the bloke right in front of me, you should of heard the noise go simmo. Special mention to merritt gees we have some depth!

Sutho_Sharks

Juniors
Yep, that tackle was good, second week in a row where he has defused a situation like that. How good is this though, we've got players in the top grade performing well, and then players in PL playing out of their skin, AND we have loads of cash for the coming years!!!!

AeroShark

Juniors
blacktip-reefy said:
For instance Baileys try. If he was so fast, why didnt he score himself? Bott, Hunt, Steward, Best, Minni anybody else scores that try alone after Vags great lead up work.

At least the try was scored BTR.call it a try to Simmo or lead up work to Simmo the points were on the Board mate.
after all it's a team effort not Simmonds vs the world.
I'm not a Simmo Fan club member but at the end of the day he did'nt go too Bad Huh?

That tackle showed he's really reading the game well.
He saw there was an overlap in the making so he rushed up on the Centre and crunched him.

He got plenty of credit from the commentators again.

And I'm sick of hearing this so called coaching he's getting from Peachey and Vagana. I think it's more commonly called communicating.
Very important to know what your teamates are going to be doing.

Well the Simmons haters will have to wait for another week to hope for a dud game from him.

AeroShark

Juniors
King of the Hill said:
simmo was on the improve, lets just hope they retain peachey for fullback over simmons, because peachey is worth about ten simmos.
Definately can't argue with that.

Sutho_Sharks

Juniors
What 'coaching' is to some people is two players congratulating themselves like they do, Vagana and Simmons are going well, the combination was even compared to that of Vagana and El Masri of years gone past!

Whats also with Vagana kicking, Im guessign they've trained that to catch the fullback off guard because of Simmons true pace!?!? Keep on working at it Vagana

White Poiner

Coach
yeah great to see simmonds has shown some of his talen over the last few weeks. Our wingers are alot stronger than last year.

ali

Bench
I think he is officially tackling at a first grade wingers standard. It's taken a while, but I think he is there.

His new found confidence in defence is probably helping his attack. He looked very good today.

Macca

Coach
Certainly getting there now Dread. Still lacks a little confidence but if it continues to improve at the current rate he will prove to be a massive plus for this season.

Latest posts