What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Our dream to make soccer the number 1 sport of every country on the planet

Broncos fan

Juniors
Would it just be nice if soccer was to be the number 1 game of every country in the planet.The empire that is football is huge and magnificent when you think about it. Out of 235 countries or probably more currently there are more than 180 countries were football is the number 1 sport. But would it just be great if our game is to be number 1 in all the countries. Out of all these countries the main non football countries are:

1. Canada because of ice hockey and lacrose
2. USA- american football, basketball, baseball, ice hockey
3. Venezuela- baseball
4. Cuba- baseball
5. Panama- basketball or baseball
6. West Indies( Jamaica, trinidad and tobago and other former british colonies) cricket
7. Japan- Baseball
8. The philliphines- basketball
9. India, pAKISstan, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh- Cricket
10. Lithuania- basketball
11. New Zealand, TOnga, FIji, and western samoa- rugby union
12. Australia- Aussie Rules football, rugby league and union, cricket
13. Puerto Rico- Basketball

Ive also forgot to mention two other non football countries in Papua New Guinea where rugby league is the main sport, and Nauru where AFL (Australian Rules Football is No 1).

Ive also forgot to mention other countries from the West Indies such as Barbados, Guyana, Antigua and Barbuda, the Bahamas, St Christopher and Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent and Grenadines, Anguila And Dominica were cricket reigns supreme.

The Dominican Republic and the American territories of Guam, Marshall Islands, Midway Islands, Northern Mariana Islands, Palau, the US Virgin Islands and the Wake Islands were football is behind basketball and baseball.

Not to metion Taiwan where baseball is the national sport, the New Zealand territories of Cook Islands and Niue Islands were rugby union is the game of choice, and the Australian territory of Norfolk Island were cricket and rugby league are more popular.

And finally Bhutan, Mongolia and probably Nepal were archery and mountain climbing is more popular. So with the further research that I have done, out of 236 countries (191 independent countries, 45 dependent countries) our game ranks as the number 1 sport in 191 countries, leaving only 45 countries were football doesnt rank number 1.

Talking about football being number one in every country, the FIFA goal project has been set up in India, Sri Lanka, Pakistan and Bangladesh to make football the number 1 sport in these cricket dominated areas. Also Japan and United States are also big potential markets for football.

Please tell me what you think about this article

MONY

Juniors
how would you know that all those sports listed above are deemed "higher" than Football (soccer)

aussies1st

Staff member
Soccer is already a World game. All I care about is seeing Australia winning the World Cup.
My dream to make League the number 1 sport of every country on the planet ;-)

Jono078

Referee
aussies1st said:
Soccer is already a World game. All I care about is seeing Australia winning the World Cup.
My dream to make League the number 1 sport of every country on the planet ;-)

Thank you :).

Who wants to watch 11 girls run around a feild and dive over every time they need a penalty, or watch blokes get stretcherd off only for them to sprint on 5 mins later.

Soccer is a disgrace to the word "sport"

My aim would be to remove it as number 1 sport for all the countries

aussies1st

Staff member
Last time I watched soccer was the WC final. That was quite boring even though it was close. There was no action until after halftime. Since then haven't watched a game since. I will watch the socceroos no matter how boring it is though.

Latest posts