What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Our first Signing for 2006

bunnies

Juniors
http://www.cowboys.com.au/PlayerDetail.asp?PlayerID=68

Lowe Grabs Fresh Start With Souths

By ADAM GARDINI
08jul05

THE chance to make a fresh start and the attraction of cementing a regular spot in the National Rugby League will see North Queensland Cowboys prop Jaiman Lowe link with Souths next season.

Lowe, 22, yesterday signed a two-year deal with the Rabbitohs, who beat the likes of the Wests Tigers and Canberra to snare the prop's services with an attractive offer after he entered the open market on July 1.

"I'm pretty excited," Lowe said.

"I'm not too keen on the Sydney lifestyle but that's something I'll have to get used to.

"It'll be good to go to a new club and sort of start from scratch -- it's a good way to throw everything behind me, start again and try and cement myself as a first grader.

The Toowoomba junior, who experienced a baptism of fire when making his debut for the Cowboys at the age of 19 in 2002, said he felt his best football was still ahead of him -- a conventional view about most props, who are thought to hit their peak in their mid to late 20s.

"It's a regular first-grade spot if I'm playing well," he said.

"I still feel that physically I'm not a naturally strong, naturally fit person so I've got to work harder at it."

Souths have been linked with a handful of high-profile players currently on the open market including Melbourne Storm backline stars Matt Orford and Steve Bell and Bulldogs five-eighth Braith Anasta.

"Players that they've earmarked, if they can get two out of the six that they're talking to it's obviously going to do them a lot of good in important positions," Lowe said.

"They seem to be in the same boat as the Cowboys a few years ago where they probably needed a few key players."

With Lowe and long-time partner Letisha expecting a baby girl in August, the 110kg prop said his decision to leave the Cowboys was more financially driven than it was when he re-signed with the Cowboys the last time he came off contract two years ago.

After four seasons and 54 first-grade games with North Queensland, Lowe said it would be difficult to leave but added it was more than likely he would return to the twin cities in the future.

"It'll be hard to leave the place that gave me the opportunity but I'm happy I'm leaving on good terms," he said.

"I'm still only really young and I feel my best footy is still ahead of me and would have no dramas returning."

He said he had received support from coach Graham Murray after informing the club of his decision yesterday and was determined to finish on a high - with the Cowboys and Young Guns both headed for the finals this year.

"(Murray) was pretty supportive and he spoke about living arrangements down there and let me in on a few nice areas to live," Lowe said.

"I said to him 'I'm still a Cowboy' until the end of the year and want to play my best footy for the club."

Cowboys football manager Peter Parr said the club wished Lowe all the best.

"From my understanding it's quite a good deal for Jaiman," Parr said.

"He's been terrific for this club and this is a wonderful opportunity for him."

MattJ

Juniors
Geddes and stuart also extended contracts today, as well as young up and comers Beau champion and Aaron Firman.

Phillips

Referee
good signing

but why extend Stuarts contract he is average at best and with Lowe, Geddes, Cusack etc etc there is no real need for him

MattJ

Juniors
Phillips said:
good signing

but why extend Stuarts contract he is average at best and with Lowe, Geddes, Cusack etc etc there is no real need for him

Stuart may not be a stand out player, but he is a good consistent hard worker and reliable enough to keep handy just in case, especially seeing how injury prone geddes has been in the past. Stuarts contract was only extended for 1 season.
I pray too god we have some bigger names to announce as signed early next week.

Ari Gold

Bench
danny weidler said we might be buying brett dallas from England, but im sure thats bullsh*t....

Cowboyzfan

Juniors
It's a real shame that we couldn't keep him, he's one of the good young players in our club for whom (unfortunately) we couldn't find a place for in 2006