What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Our front row stocks for 2008

T-BONE MCGRAW

Juniors
This is my one major area of concern for next year especially as our front row depth and best front row combinations for next year. At the moment the definite props in our first grade squad are Cayless, Moimoi, Cordoba and Paulo. Cayless (when fit) has one starting spot wrapped up. It is my belief that both Moimoi and Cordoba offer more to the side as impact props off the bench. Not sure whta role Paulo is best at but he is very inexperienced in first grade. It is my belief we are probably short one starting prop from being a top side.

The other issue is depth. Cayless has a bit of an injury history and Moimoi is always on the edge of a lengthy suspension. I know a lot of clubs will suffer from this due to the new under 20 comp but I think it is a bit of an issue to go into a season with 4 props and one of those only having played 1 first grade game. In saying all that I think Tim Mannah will end up also being a gun prop eventually but he he is still very young and inexperienced

Apologies if this has been brought up before but it is an issue of concern for me and I wanted to gauge other people's opinions

we will still have a side in the nsw comp whic i sequivilant to the QLD cup i thought...time wil tell i guess.

With Denis being a big player in this whole move surely the eels would be set up nicely or that what i would have thought..

hasman

Juniors
don't Forget our Part - Time squad will being playing in the NSW Cup.

I heard Yearsterday Blokes like Faso have signed for a couple of years in our Part Time squad.

I also hear we have Room for three more players for our Full Time squad.

:crazy:

xr62nv

Juniors
we would probably have guys like fa'aoso (as mentioned) and also Latimore and Wood in part time squads,

probably fa'aoso might be used before mannah is brought into the squad for an injury or suspension, as he might be still too raw, though on the other hand he may thrive on being in the NRL

fanool

Juniors
T-Bone you legend.

Yes - Major Area of Concern

But there seems to be a genuine Shortage of Props about.

I think that most other teams will be in the same boat. The Bulldogs Pack for next year is MASON plus a number of also rans. The Bronco's and the Warriors are also noted Packs and will be underdone in the Prop department.

And the $$$ that are being thrown about for good props is ridiculous. I think that Cayless and FFMM have the goods. Cordoba has the potential to consolidate himself as a solid NRL Prop and I like the looks of Jnr.

The problem I think as you pointed out is injuries and suspension. To be honest, we have been extremely lucky so far this year in this regard up until now.

Fingers crossed for next year. If the boys we have can stay on the park we'll be right. And you never know they may get a chance to steamroll some clubs who get injuries and suspensions!!!

The Engineers Room

First Grade
Paolo is ready.

Fa'aoso can play up front and we have a few others in the part time squad that could be ready for next year.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
xr62nv said:
we would probably have guys like fa'aoso (as mentioned) and also Latimore and Wood in part time squads,

probably fa'aoso might be used before mannah is brought into the squad for an injury or suspension, as he might be still too raw, though on the other hand he may thrive on being in the NRL

Forget about Latimore and Wright is ahead of Mannah ATM.

Stagger eel

Staff member
parra-all-the-way said:
we will still have a side in the nsw comp whic i sequivilant to the QLD cup i thought...time wil tell i guess.

With Denis being a big player in this whole move surely the eels would be set up nicely or that what i would have thought..

just on that..the word i got on Monday was that Mount Pritchard are no longer an option as our feeder club and we're now negotiating with Wentworthville.

carson

Juniors
Are we trying to extend FFMM's contract? Does it still end next year or have I missed something?

Stagger eel

Staff member
hasman said:
don't Forget our Part - Time squad will being playing in the NSW Cup.

I heard Yearsterday Blokes like Faso have signed for a couple of years in our Part Time squad.

I also hear we have Room for three more players for our Full Time squad.

:crazy:

I heard the same regarding Richie being in our part time squard, I also heard that he'll be joined by Etu, Latimore, Brod Wright, Jon Wright and Brendon Oake in the part time squad we appear to also have signed a young outside back from the sharks by the name of Matt Rafferty who's currently playing Flegg, but i can't confirm that.

We are currently negotiating with Aaron Wood and Justin Horo to add to our depth.

about the fulltime squad, I haven't heard that there's 3 spots left but I did hear that there's not much money left to go around, especially now with PJ Marsh looking more and more likely to stay.

just what I heard.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
I would guess we will be signing a few props fairly soon. Otherwise we could be left a bit short like last year.

Fathead

Bench
Remember next year there are going to be footballers everywhere who cant find a club. No need to rush.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Fathead said:
Remember next year there are going to be footballers everywhere who cant find a club. No need to rush.

and that's the way i see it also, mid-season transfers and off the shelf buys appear to be the norm nowadays depending on whether a side struggles with form and injuries, there will always be players available and this year proved it.

caylo

Bench
eelavation said:
and that's the way i see it also, mid-season transfers and off the shelf buys appear to be the norm nowadays depending on whether a side struggles with form and injuries, there will always be players available and this year proved it.

defiantly would have to agree... If we can keep Fui and Cayless that gives us two experienced props (plus id hardly call cayless injury prone). Cordoba, Paulo and Fa'aosso are adequate cover I'd say.

caylo

Bench
eelavation said:

defiantly would have to agree... If we can keep Fui and Cayless that gives us two experienced props (plus id hardly call cayless injury prone). Cordoba, Paulo and Fa'aosso are adequate cover I'd say.

emjaycee

Coach
caylo said:

Sure we have adequate cover to put someone in the 8 and 10 jumpers each week, but with these 5 where do we get the mongreel and leadership we need that we were sorely missing on Monday night?

Fui gives us mongrel but suspension history has tempered that a little bit.
Cayless leads by example but doesn't seem to be able to get us focussed if we don't fire from the kick-off (Warriors, Souths, Canberra - 2007).
Josh, Paulo and Rich are not yet leaders... or mongrel enough.

We need a front-rower that commands the respect of both our players and the opposition - Petero, Shrek, Price, Webke, Asotasi...

Bigfella

Coach
I don;t know about spending huge money on props.

I think the sides who have done so ie Bris (in the past), Warriors, Roosters, tend to overextend so heavily on one or two props that the depth in the rest of the pack isn't there - or they can;t afford a quality half.

You are better off IMO having bargain buys but deppth. I think it's one area say Canberra have been very astute - decided they can't compete at the high end of the market, but then been very choosy about the guys they grab from the "cheaper" end. Their pack probably costs half the Roosters but puts them to shame.