What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Our halves from now on & into the finals!!??

doyen

Bench
Should Sths move JS straight back to the starting 5/8 on his return from injury??
Who will best serve Sths at 5/8 in the finals series & why??
Should Keary get the job permanently, & if so,what becomes of JS??

rabbitohs95

Bench
1. Greg Inglis
2. Alex Johnston
3. Dylan Walker
4. Kirisome Auva'a
5. Lote Tuqiri
6. Luke Keary
7. Adam Reynolds
8. George Burgess
9. Issac Luke
10. Dave Tyrrell
11. John Sutton (c)
12. Ben Te'o
13. Sam Burgess

14. Jason Clark
15. Kyle Turner
16. Chris McQueen
17. Tom Burgess

Only reason I have McQueen on the bench is because both he and Sutton are left side second rowers

Last edited:

Big Sam

First Grade
I'd have Sutto on the bench until the finals start, after which I'd move him into the backrow.

southsport

First Grade
Surely Keary has to stay at 5/8.

Where to for Sutto? In the forwards he has to compete for position with Sam, Te'o, McQueen, Turner and others. What about the captaincy, should he come back as captain? Can he remain captain if he starts from the bench? Madge may have some delicate work to do.

doyen

Bench
I noticed GOULD was promoting JS for 5/8 when he returns with Keary on the bench.
His argument seemed to be that one needs big players for the big games.I think he would love to see Sths regress as it would very much suit the Panthers.

My impression of Keary is that he's a tough little customer & shirks nothing in defence---he,in fact,does a very efficient job in this area.

I reckon Sths have played their very best f/ball since Keary has been fully involved & I'm now starting to enjoy watching their more exciting open style.
Sths have shot to favouritism in the last few weeks on the back of our new halves combo.Let's keep it.
We should press on regardless of JS now.He will have to fight his way back.Potentially,I can see him as a disturbing influence now despite his very good ability.His future could be captaining the team from the bench,if at all.GI,however, seems to be playing at his top as Capt.& probably should be retained in this role.Would be a huge kick in the guts for JS but,let's face it,Sths have excelled whilst GI had been leader.

Last edited:

Dogmatix

Juniors
Keary must be in the halves. Souths could never execute backline movements with Reynolds and Sutton as the halves

Sutton should share the right edge forward spot with Te'o. Sutton started off as a right side player and had a good combination with Beau Champion years ago. Maybe he can strike something up with Walker on the right. Sutton only moved to the left due to his left foot kick when playing at No 6. But if he is not playing as a half he is better back to the right side

doyen

Bench
If JS is really good enough to make our pack[& fit enough]then I agree with your read on this.
But has he been away from that forward role for too long & will it really be in Sths interest to re-instate him in any capacity???
If he can play the role you suggest exclusively,& not create problems for the team as it's been in his absence, than good!!

Last edited:

hurricane57

Juniors
If JS is really good enough to make our pack[& fit enough]then I agree with your read on this.
But has he been away from that forward role for too long & will it really be in Sths interest to re-instate him in any capacity???
If he can play the role you suggest exclusively,& not create problems for the team as it's been in his absence, than good!!

Keary is now Souths starting five eight, ain't no doubt about it. Gould's suggestion that Keary come from the bench is just stupid Gould talk and will be treated with the contempt it deserves.
Maguire's sacking of Merritt shows that he has the ruthlessness required to coach a team to a grand final - some times a coach must make hard decisions.

Inglis should retain the captaincy, I hope.

souths_pride

Juniors
I noticed GOULD was promoting JS for 5/8 when he returns with Keary on the bench.
His argument seemed to be that one needs big players for the big games.I think he would love to see Sths regress as it would very much suit the Panthers.

My impression of Keary is that he's a tough little customer & shirks nothing in defence---he,in fact,does a very efficient job in this area.

I reckon Sths have played their very best f/ball since Keary has been fully involved & I'm now starting to enjoy watching their more exciting open style.
Sths have shot to favouritism in the last few weeks on the back of our new halves combo.Let's keep it.
We should press on regardless of JS now.He will have to fight his way back.Potentially,I can see him as a disturbing influence now despite his very good ability.His future could be captaining the team from the bench,if at all.GI,however, seems to be playing at his top as Capt.& probably should be retained in this role.Would be a huge kick in the guts for JS but,let's face it,Sths have excelled whilst GI had been leader.

I agree with what you say in that Gould was advocating that Sutton be moved to Five-Eight! I think what Gould says is rubbish. First of all, who says Luke Keary isn't a big game player? He was arguably our second best player in the game vs Manly last week! Now if thats not a big game, then I'm not here! Secondly, who says John Sutton is a big game player? He hasn't played origin and while he is a very good player, our record against other top teams until this year hasn't been all that impressive and neither is he! So there is a logical argument to suggest that Souths haven't gone the distance with Sutton in the past, both in big games and in terms of winning the comp, then therefore he should be moved to accommodate Keary.

I actually don't think its that big of an issue. The problem is quite simply solved by playing Sutton in the back row on the left hand side. He predominantly plays as a left of the ruck anyway! I wouldn't move Adam Reynolds because I think he is hitting top form and he seems to have struck up a real partnership with Keary! As the old saying goes - "Never change a winning combination!"

The Chello

Juniors
I actually don't think its that big of an issue. The problem is quite simply solved by playing Sutton in the back row on the left hand side. He predominantly plays as a left of the ruck anyway! I wouldn't move Adam Reynolds because I think he is hitting top form and he seems to have struck up a real partnership with Keary! As the old saying goes - "Never change a winning combination!"

spot on. Sutton is a quality player and hopefully Maguire can use him as a running forward on the left hand side. Reynolds has grown in confidence since Keary's been there and so too has Keary with each game. Still young and a great talent, his learning curve is rising sharply and that will continue if starts. He's got the taste now of what it's like to be a first team player. We have Turner and George to come back into this side along with Sutton so spots are going to be tight - think Lowe, Clark and Picker to miss out.

Rabbits20

Immortal
spot on. Sutton is a quality player and hopefully Maguire can use him as a running forward on the left hand side. Reynolds has grown in confidence since Keary's been there and so too has Keary with each game. Still young and a great talent, his learning curve is rising sharply and that will continue if starts. He's got the taste now of what it's like to be a first team player. We have Turner and George to come back into this side along with Sutton so spots are going to be tight - think Lowe, Clark and Picker to miss out.

It looks like Te'o will be out for a month my possible forwards in 2 weeks is:

8. George
9. Issac
10. Tyrell
11. Turner
12. Sutton
13. Sam

14. Clark
15. McQueen
16. Tom
17. Lowe

If Clark or Lowe start to struggle with form Luke Burgess could come in.

Galeforce

Bench
It is done.
Keary and Reynolds are now the halves.
Sutton can only return now as a second rower ,ball runner and be part of bench rotation.

alien

Referee
Should Sths move JS straight back to the starting 5/8 on his return from injury??
Who will best serve Sths at 5/8 in the finals series & why??
Should Keary get the job permanently, & if so,what becomes of JS??

i think souths will keep keary and reynolds in the halves. sutton to the second row

souths1908

Juniors
With Teo now looking at time on the sidelines, it has to be Keary staying at 5/8 with Sutton playing in the second row. I think Sutton is an awesome player who often takes that hard run that gets our sets starting in the right direction, but Keary adds a completly different dimension to our attack and it would be crazy to change this winning formula.