What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Our Next Half Back

Who do you think will be our next halfback??

• Thomas Leuluai

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Mathew Head

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • Ruan Pienaar

• Sean Long

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ben Walker

• Kurt Gidley

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Jarrod Mullen

• Ben Reynolds

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • John Morris

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Brett Finch

• Brent Sherwin

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • Brett Hodgson

• other....

Votes: 6 19.4%

• Total voters

Mighty Tiger

Bench
brook said:
he *plays* halfback but he isn't 'a halfback'

I actually disagree with MT here, I think chase is more halfback than hooker but the club doesn't agree and I think this week has made it resoundingly clear we wont be seeing him in first grade in ANY position any time soon (which considering our injuries, his form and the people selected ahead of him I think is a real shame)

I was never asked if he was more suited to halfback or hooker - the best position I think for him would be as a 5/8th IMO

He plays more like a 5/8th
He doesn't organise the team
His preffered option is running the ball himself not using the backline
He is weak passing to his right
He has a poor long kicking game
He lacks accuracy with Bombs
He lacks depth on drop kicks
He is a ball player not a ball passer

He is a player who you want to touch the ball either around big men or right out wide for a 1 on 1 situation because he has great acceleration and has a step which beats most people

Despite his size which people refer to (he is actually bigger than Flanns and weighs the same as Farah apperantly at pre-season weigh ins) his defence is sound and he does have good upper body strength and leg drive

At hooker he does pass off the ground and does read the play well with the ball in hand, his defence around the ruck is at times abit way wood because he ball watches but it is improving, he tends to not hit with the shoulder as much as he should but that also is being worked on

He was listed at halfback against the Bulldogs last week but didn't play as a halfback he played like a 5/8th / lock for part of the game and then played at hooker for about 20mins as well

I didn't see the match he was listed at Halfback but regardless of which that was 4yrs ago, his game has developed and changed alot since then

knights9

Juniors
I just read in RLW Tigers are after Ruan Pineaar from the Super 14 if he signs it will be intersting to see how he goes.

hutch

First Grade
i wouldnt complain if we went after mcclinden, i thought he had a few good years before he left canberra, he looked bored there in the end. we need an experienced half to partner benji, i dont rate reynolds, and i certainly dont rate chase.

brook

First Grade
Weasels Ripped My Flesh said:
That wouldn't be such a bad option. However, Hodgson probally only has 2-3 years left in him tops, so we're going to need someone eventually...

Caldwell

for that matter 3 years down the track and I wouldn't be very suprised to see Marc Russell playing halfback for someone, but Dean Caldwell is our future.

Thomas Leuluai says the lure of playing alongside New Zealand Test teammate Benji Marshall in the National Rugby League next year could prove irresistible.

England-based Leuluai is part of a Wests Tigers hit-list of potential halfbacks to replace Gold Coast-bound Scott Prince, who will leave the premiers at the end of this season.

Others on the list include Sydney Roosters youngster Jamie Soward, St George Illawarra's injured No.7 Mathew Head and Newcastle's exciting prospect Jarrod Mullen.

www.nrl.com

super_coach

First Grade
imagine next year no 7 mathew (the knee) head and no 6 Benji (the shoulder) Marshall. You would have to double your medical staff.If they ever did get on the padock together for some time they would be great

Vicious

Bench
chileman said:
I know a guy who plays for Eastwood Union that would look good next to Marshall next season ;-)

Is that Tim Donnelly you`re referring to??? If so i`ve often thaught that he`d go well in league? Great kicking game and a good solid all round game.

Vicious

Bench
PARANoIR said:
Sean Long would be a logical choice.

Sean Long is a bum. Take him to Parra!

I`d much rather Blake Green at the Wests Tigers and that too is a strong possibility?

knights9

Juniors
Mullen isnt off contract he re signed a while ago, But i think Leuluai will be your next halfback.

Latest posts