What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Our Recruitment Philosophy

The Rosco

Bench
After watching Morris do his stuff in the WCC, I got to thinking . . . . .
A lot of us here, and over on the other forum nearly laughed off Morris as too old, too short a neck, and so on.
Well, he won that game for the capless Roosters.
The Roosters seem to be happy to sign a star at the end of his career, even for just a year or 2. Morris, Gordon,Cronk( to a lesser extent)
We seem to want someone more long term. We seem to wait around to sign some average player to a long term deal.
The Roosters are happy with bang for your buck. A quick bang, and a quick buck. When Gordon served his purpose, seeya Mick ! When Morris is finally used up, bye bye to him too.
As an analogy, it's like looking for a girl.
We seem to want a good cook, doesn't have to be an absolute glamour, but a loyal and long term reliable wife and homemaker. Nice floral frock and bakes a good cake.
The Roosters are on the hunt for the gal with the great rack, the long legs and nice arse. Tatts on the boobies, thigh high come fkk me boots.They are gonna get rid of her in a year or 2, so why not have all the flash for that short time ?
Thoughts ?

Shredder

Juniors
Its a difference in mentality.

The chooks always want to win this year.
We are always "building for a future."

You cant fault them given their recent successes.

For me, its about balance. A mix of youth and experience and I think we are getting there. Our pack is a nice mix and while most of the experience in our backs is in the halves, its not that bad there either.

Just remember a bunch of experience leaves at the end of this year, with Benji and Farah most likely to retire. I dont expect Benji to play a great deal this year, but Farah will be missed. Despite his occasional selfish plays he does actually bleed for this club and everything he does on the field is to win. Which is a nice characteristic to have in a professional sportsman....

Tigerm

First Grade
I feel we have started down this road, we no longer look to build & rely on our juniors, where most just never seem to make it. I mean Easts don't really have a junior system.
But to get the better players we DO need to start winning and the rest should take care of it self. Cronk would never have come here in our current situation IMO.

At first glance I read Philanthropy instead of Philosophy.

Given the state of our recruitment in recent years they are interchangeable terms.

Mader45

Juniors
If you're a divorced wrinkly old has been stunner with not much left but 2 tonnes of collagen and boobs now sitting at your chin level, what sugar daddy offer do you accept? The rich Eastern sububs millionaire businessman who's 2 ex wives are living free in beautiful Bondi apartments on fat alimony checks or the Campbelltown housing commission dad who was happy when he found out his ex wife got a place 2 doors down so they can yell at each other over the fences about their bloody kids during ad breaks in home and away?

super_coach

First Grade
The thing with the Chooks they just have to top up each year. They are never looking for a handful of players, just one or two. So they target the best they can get for the position that needs filling.

A team like us is always looking at lots of players for lots of positions with little chance of attracting the top shelve players. Also a player like Morris will take unders at his age to play in a team where he will not get bashed and is a real chance of some silver ware

gordsy

Juniors
Unders on paper maybe. Also it's easy to look good outside of Keary and Cronk, especially when you know what you're doing. It's like teams signing Sam Burgess for Broncos, Melbourne etc where he doesn't have to carry the pack etc it's a great signing for us it's a stupid move as he eats up so much cap space and we have holes all around the park where for the other teams I mentioned he becomes the difference between top 4 and winning a grand final.

gordsy

Juniors
We also signed Ellis and that was amazing. Blair was never a top shelf player in my opinion and Anasta was a dud long before we stupidly signed him .