What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Our roster

Are we spending to much money on 5 origin players 2 English internationals that the rest of our roster is b grade or lower ? Everyone’s thoughts?
Between our top players and bottom I think there’s to much of a difference?

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Are we spending to much money on 5 origin players 2 English internationals that the rest of our roster is b grade or lower ? Everyone’s thoughts?

No one I know who knows anything about Rugby League thinks that Ben Hunt is a $1 million a year half back. He''s capable of good moments and occasionally even good whole games but he doesn't dominate consistently like other highly paid, elite ex and current players such as Cameron Smith, Billy Slater, Johnathan Thurston et al. The jury is still out on whether he's a better hooker than half-back.

There's at least $200K we could have saved. We blinked and panicked and paid over the odds. We now know that in Qld they see him more as a hooker.

utility dragon

Juniors
The top sides have great coaches who develop players. We need our 5 origin players but we also need to bring on the next generation which requires a stronger system. It doesn’t matter who Melbourne lose because they just bring the next junior in and they always know their role and slot straight in. With dumbo as our boss we do have a big gap between our experienced and younger players but that’s not roster it’s development!!!

Btk

Juniors

Arguably, Bennett won us a Premiership with a less talented roster (no disrespect to members of that team) but he knew how to put together a game plan to get the best out of everybody

Old Timer

Coach
Everyone keeps banging on about our 5 SOO players
It is such a subjective measure as IMO many players picked for SOO are in fact over rated compared to some others and some are “coaches pets”
Norman, Hunt, Sims all lucky to make it IMO.
If you were picking a test side tomorrow none of them nor Frizz would get selected.

Belta

Juniors
Also countering into this argument is the fact that many of the games best players aren’t illegible for SOO. Many of the top sides have plenty of Polynesians, Kiwis and/or English players.

Crush

Coach
Everyone keeps banging on about our 5 SOO players
It is such a subjective measure as IMO many players picked for SOO are in fact over rated compared to some others and some are “coaches pets”
Norman, Hunt, Sims all lucky to make it IMO.
If you were picking a test side tomorrow none of them nor Frizz would get selected.
Dragons getting 5 players selected for Origin this year will be the nail in Mcgregor's coffin. The more we lose the more the media will talk about a team with 5 Origin stars being anchored to the bottom of the table.
Only the Media can remove McGregor.

BLM01

First Grade
No. Widdop is gone next year and Graham not on heaps if he stays around next year.
Hunt arguably at $950 is highish..more like a 700K player
Norman, Sims, Fizz, JDB & Vaughan on the right money I would guess
Close to best pack at full strength
Good halves when performing
I actually think we got a good balance but our back 5 and edges are not performing in defence and we lack in depth in the backs as well

All roads lead back to the coaching....nothing else

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
We have a bloke called Aitken who is probably the worst centre in the game, followed closely by another bloke named Lafai. We have 2 wingers who would struggle to make a reserve grade side at another team. A fullback that weighs 60kgs with butter on his hands. A 50 year old journeyman prop known as the goat. Then we have these so called origin players who choose when to turn up, one who is on 1 million a year and needs a rest. And a coach who couldn’t coach himself out of a wet paper bag. Enough said.

Btk

Juniors
Also countering into this argument is the fact that many of the games best players aren’t illegible for SOO. Many of the top sides have plenty of Polynesians, Kiwis and/or English players.
Shhhhhhhh.... Mary might hear you. He doesn't need more excuses.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
We never seem to have an out and out gun player in our team. Someone like a Tedesco, Cook or Ponga. When was the last time we had a player who everyone would rate in the top five players in the comp? Mark Gasnier at his very best, maybe? Probably Graeme Langlands before that.
We have one of the best second rowers in Frizzell. We also have plenty of slugs in our backline at the moment, and a heap in recent years.

Last edited:

Dragonslayer

First Grade
We never seem to have an out and out gun player in our team. Someone like a Tedesco, Cook or Ponga. When was the last time we had a player who everyone would rate in the top five players in the comp? Mark Gasnier at his very best, maybe? Probably Graeme Langlands before that.

Lomax could be a Ponga, but alas he has been destined to have every skill removed from him to play McGregor football.

Smirrors

Juniors
Identifying young talent to support your SOO is what needs to happen. Reuben Garrick comes to mind. Playing and kicking well for Manly, could have been ours for cheap. But then Mary would have screwed his development and confidence too so its a moot point.

Old Timer

Coach
No. Widdop is gone next year and Graham not on heaps if he stays around next year.
Hunt arguably at $950 is highish..more like a 700K player
Norman, Sims, Fizz, JDB & Vaughan on the right money I would guess
Close to best pack at full strength
Good halves when performing
I actually think we got a good balance but our back 5 and edges are not performing in defence and we lack in depth in the backs as well

All roads lead back to the coaching....nothing else
Some fans keep believing our pack at full strength is 1 of if not the best pack in the comp
There is simply no facts to support that theory
Our pack us easily contained and often dominated

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Saints have a gun squad that any coach would love to have at his disposal. If Mary was to be sacked their would be a $hite load of coaches jumping up and down to try and land the role unlike the vacant Titans, Dogs or some other clubs. This JDB excuse is utter BS because people seem to forget that Panthers are in the same position as well with Tyrone May yet Cleary has never used that as an excuse when they were losing. He moved on with it and gave youngsters a run in that role who are doing well. Tyrone May is a half/hooker so a part of the spine which is a big blow to them as he was playing well last season, he is a great player who was held in high regard.

The fact that you see Herbert and Garrick killing it at other clubs is proof to how bad the roster is run by Mary. Garrick a goalkicker who can find the line should have been 1st choice for this season not punted for Pearson/Rava or Maranata.

As for JDB is he get jailed then the Saints really screwed up as he should have been replaced asap not wait around for a whole season. How nbad is that. If he gets off they will be justified but that is a huge if. I would also expect them going straight to the NRL and demanding a huge comp payment for lost revenue due to this bs rule.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Some fans keep believing our pack at full strength is 1 of if not the best pack in the comp
There is simply no facts to support that theory
I’d call our full strength pack:
8. Graham
9. McInness
10. Vaughan
11. Friz
12. Sims
13. DeBelin

Aka:
8. England international
9. NSW backup hooker
10. NSW prop
11. NSW 2nd rower
12. NSW bench player
13. NSW lock*

Show me a better credentialed starting pack..