What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Our top side (this year and next)

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
so it’s been an improved season despite a constant stream of injuries, but one bonus has been we’ve got a good look at the club’s depth. Fingers crossed nobody else goes down and we get the full complement back for the finals. What do you think our best side will look like, for this year and next, considering retirements and signings?

I reckon it’s something like this: (2018/2019)

1: RTS
2: Fusitua
3: Beale
4: Kata
5: Maumalo
6: Green
7: Johnson
8: Gavet/Ah Mau
9: Luke
10: Paasi
11: Harris
12: Mannering/Papali’i
13: Blair

14: Tevaga
15: Afoa
16: Papali’i/Pulu
17:pulu/Gavet

Roache replaces Luke if we don’t manage to resign him, but we know that really needs to happen. If not we’d likely need to carry Lawton on the bench, maybe instead of Tevaga.

Meth

Staff member
I didn’t think Gavet was bad last night, but he has been really disappointing this year and the team feels a prop short. Or like we have one too many backrowers with Pulu back and Tevaga occupying a spot- so I still don’t feel as if our side is perfectly balanced.

Again, I really think Blair should play some time as a prop for the sake of the balance of the team.

With Harris back, Mannerig starts off the bench.

VillaTheGorilla

Juniors
The big thing is the development of the new guys...we need Satae, Papalli and co to continue to develop and move forward. Both Lisone and Vete looked good their first years and never got any better. Having another big prop in Ah Mau will be great for us.

Ah Mau
Luke
Paasi
Papali
Harris
Blair

Tevaga/Roache
Bunty
Satae/Gavet
Pulu

Looks much stronger than this year

One Warrior

Bench
The big thing is the development of the new guys...we need Satae, Papalli and co to continue to develop and move forward. Both Lisone and Vete looked good their first years and never got any better. Having another big prop in Ah Mau will be great for us.

Ah Mau
Luke
Paasi
Papali
Harris
Blair

Tevaga/Roache
Bunty
Satae/Gavet
Pulu

Looks much stronger than this year
Correct it does, if Luke re-signs.

Big Marn

Juniors
you talk about ceiling and floors with players. I think Lisone has reached his ceiling and his floor is already quite low, but i think Satae has a higher ceiling, with more upside if they keep developing him.

Gavet was a menace last year,but he has not reproduced that form this year. Not sure if we have seen the best of him already. Could be on a downward spiral.

Leber

Bench
1 RTS
2 Fus
3 Beale
4 Kata
5 Maumalo
6 Green
7 Johnson
8 Paasi
9 Luke
10 Ah Mau
11 Papali
12 Harris
13 Sao

14 Tevaga
15 Pulu
16 Blair
17 Afoa

I'd line that side up next year.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
you talk about ceiling and floors with players. I think Lisone has reached his ceiling and his floor is already quite low, but i think Satae has a higher ceiling, with more upside if they keep developing him.

Gavet was a menace last year,but he has not reproduced that form this year. Not sure if we have seen the best of him already. Could be on a downward spiral.

I suspect Gavet’s ceiling might be as an effective bench prop, which is where he’ll likely be next year unless Satae overtakes him.

Benek

Juniors
Given how injury-prone Roach is, I'd hate that to be our only hooker plan for next year (despite him looking very promising in the past). The kid needs to play at least one consecutive full season first. Signing Luke it a top priority.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I don't think it's hyperbole at all to suggest we are immediately a bottom 8 side if we lose Issac. He's missed two games this year, the Roosters and Titans thrashings, and off the top of my head we've looked completely limp in a couple of games he's gone off in as well.

For all Roache's promise, he can't stay on the park and even if he did, he's still a rookie who's played 20 games - and not all of them at hooker.

We can't afford to not re-sign Issac.

Meth

Staff member
What's Satae's current status? Last I heard he was being courted by the Storm

sup42

Juniors
Mannerings not there and Roach is almost certain to be the B hooker so the forwards would look something like this:

8. Gavet
9. Luke/Roach
10. Paasi
11. Pulu
12: Harris
13: Blair

14: Roach/Luke
15: Ah Mau
16: Afoa
27: Papalii

The Talking point is whether Tevanga replaces Papalii

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Tevaga is that ideal 14, in that he's passably OK at hooker and can cover the back row. Obviously his D if he replaces Issac is more than adequate, it's just his service is pretty rubbish and obviously he doesn't know how to run like Issac does.

I like Papalii, for a guy who's still U20s qualified he's already a guy who competes week in, week out obviously with a few flaws in his game he'll iron out. Huge upside, I reckon.

I'd like to see Gavet on the bench, only a theory of mine that he operates better when he comes off the bench and is positioned as a #3-4 banana, not #2 as he's trying to be now

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Tevaga is that ideal 14, in that he's passably OK at hooker and can cover the back row. Obviously his D if he replaces Issac is more than adequate, it's just his service is pretty rubbish and obviously he doesn't know how to run like Issac does.

I like Papalii, for a guy who's still U20s qualified he's already a guy who competes week in, week out obviously with a few flaws in his game he'll iron out. Huge upside, I reckon.

I'd like to see Gavet on the bench, only a theory of mine that he operates better when he comes off the bench and is positioned as a #3-4 banana, not #2 as he's trying to be now

Agree on all points. They really need to work on Tevaga’s passing game in the off season. If he can get his service up to scratch he’s ideal at 14 as he has utility outside being backup hooker.
Papali’i is tremendously impressive- my only real issue with him is that he still gets dominated in the tackle at times, needs to do the same offseason strength program Bunty did before this year. But he seems to have a good footy brain and huge motor.
Gavet to bench with Ah Mau to start is a no brainer. As I said I think Gavets ceiling is as a decent bench prop who comes on and goes hard for 30-40 min a game.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Given how injury-prone Roach is, I'd hate that to be our only hooker plan for next year (despite him looking very promising in the past). The kid needs to play at least one consecutive full season first. Signing Luke it a top priority.

Yep Roache is the future but he needs another season under Isaac to a: sort put his injuries and b: to get Tevaga up to scratch to cover.

Matua

Bench
Why the continued selection of Kata - Fusitua had a bad game by his standards last night and he's getting laid into yet Kata has his usual game (bombs two tries) and it gets a pass.

Teflon Kata.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Why the continued selection of Kata - Fusitua had a bad game by his standards last night and he's getting laid into yet Kata has his usual game (bombs two tries) and it gets a pass.

Teflon Kata.

Ayshford probably f**ked Kearney’s wife or something

Latest posts